Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU and ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU an

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
    In the Fargo-Moorhead area (who said there's 200,000 people there?)
    The US Census Bureau. The 2010 census puts the Fargo-Moorhead MSA population at 208,777.
    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by WetSubArticCanine View Post
      The head of the WCHA is quoted as saying the conference won’t decide until they see what the Irish do. Nobody seems to think that ND wants in the WCHA, just that what they do is the key to which of many contingency plans everyone else is likely to follow.
      Yep. Everybody right now is just in a holding pattern til the Irish figure out what they want to do with their hockey program.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Re: Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU an

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
        In the Fargo-Moorhead area (who said there's 200,000 people there?), Moorhead is the #3 visible college/university behind NDSU and DIII Concordia. The FM area might support NDSU hockey, BUT Moorhead is just hot air.
        Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
        The US Census Bureau. The 2010 census puts the Fargo-Moorhead MSA population at 208,777.
        The Fargo Force have averaged ~ 3,200 for what amounts to all-star high school hockey. Surely they could draw at least that for D-I. Heck:

Bemidji (16,000) averages 3,800
        Mankato (96,00) averages 3,700
        St. Cloud (190,000) averages 5,900

Who cares if it's not NDSU or Concordia? Do those teams have D-I hockey? Do those teams play North Dakota? If you are a D-I hockey fan in Fargo/Moorehad, are you really going to make that distinction - especially if you don't have the option of cheering for NDSU or Concordia? Sure, they may end up with more Sioux fans (if UND were willing to travel there, or heck, BSU or SCSU fans) cheering against MSU, Moorhead at first, but I guarantee they'd rather have that (and those fans money) than not have any fans at all.
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

You **** well know facts are not allowed on here.
          Last edited by darker98; 07-24-2011, 01:05 PM.
          "My greatest achievement."
          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Of any school who might change conferences, LSSU is the best position to go WCHA or CCHA from a geography standpoint. On the CCHA side they can make a ton of bus runs through lower MI (K-Zoo, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Erie, South Bend, Big Rapids) all bus rides under 10 hours. UAH would be 16 hours out, and likely a flight, as would be UAF. If the WCHA wants LSSU they'll be busing across the UP every weekend with the longest trips being Mankato (11.5 hrs), St Cloud (10.5 hrs), Bemidji (10.5 hrs) and of course flights to UAA. Moorhead at 12 hours would also be a long haul by bus. Although it would be cool to have all three UP schools together, the CCHA likely makes more sense, by the slimest of margins from a travel stand point for LSSU.

At this piont, putting all three UP schools together is likely no more important than it was to keep all the MN schools together. But how cool would an all-MN D-I six-team conference have been, maybe even seven if UND was "good enough" to join? You could have done the same thing in MI a few years ago with Wayne State, but Tech would have hated the bus rides.

Ryan J
            Your times for hockey bus travel are a bit off. It takes NMU 9 hours to get to Bemidji and LSSU is three hours farther. No one is traveling 12 hours on a bus on the way to the game. That means second day travel. Nine hours is about the max that any team will travel by bus in a day on the way to a series. Though they often will go straight through coming home, with a driver change at some point during the trip.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Your times for hockey bus travel are a bit off...
              And this is an excellent point - and one I forget myself all to often when it comes to this subject.

Even short trips are affected by "bus times" rather than "driving times." I mean, I travel dozens of times a year (I do ~80 games a year and most end up being road games), with the average trip around 2-2.5 hours each way. As an example, I can drive to Fargo in ~ 2 hours, but if I take the bus, it's 2.5. Duluth? 2.5 driving but 3 by bus. The Twin Cities are ~ 3.5 hours in my car, but an easy 4-4.5 in the bus. Remember that you have to drive the speed limit (for the most part), stop at train crossings, and can't hit the gas and get to 65 in 10 seconds (maybe you can do it in 45 sec though) after a stop light.
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass
              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                you **** well know facts are not allowed on here.
                . Really?

sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                  I can drive to Fargo in ~ 2 hours,
                  Holy crap, you must be flying, I've driven that drive too many times (and I know the shortcuts) and I still can't get it down to less than 2:20. However, you bring up a great point, driving time is not the same as travel time. One stop for food and you can tack on 45 minutes +/-,
                  Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

You also have to figure daily driving limits for bus drivers as well, and the fact that if you don't want a horrendous case of "bus legs," you're not going to spend 11 or 12 or 13 hours on a bus the day before a two games series starts.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Well...I stand corrected on the population issue. Before I publicly raised the question, I went to the US Census Bureau that directed me to 2006 Fargo as 90,056, West Fargo at 24313, and Moorhead at 34,749 which equals 149,118 so I thought the 200,000 figure was a stretch. Another aspect I did not consider was 200,000 F-M Metro Area figure includes the entire counties of Cass (ND) and Clay (MN). I won't be so sloppy next submission. Andrew J. Carter

Comment

Another News-Miner article today about the status of the Nanooks; sounds like the WCHA is still an option.

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/148660...college-hockey
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

CCHA set a deadline (read it from earlier discussion of AHA schools meeting Pletch) that any schools thinking of bailing (looks stearnly at Notre Dame) need to sh** or get off the pot by September, 2011.

So LSSU and UA_ need to also either step up and submit their application, or accept that they're staying in the new CCHA.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

There were three rumored applicants and one of them was NMU. Who were the other two since UFA didn't apply?
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              There were three rumored applicants and one of them was NMU. Who were the other two since UFA didn't apply?
                              Northern Arizona and Ill-Chicago.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                Northern Arizona and Ill-Chicago.
                                That is great. lol
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X