PDA

View Full Version : Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU and ??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

bigblue_dl
08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry about interupting a perfectly good pis$ing match.

What's funny is this: UAF is a dedicated Sea Grant university. Mighty oceanfront UAA isn't. I'm sure it's the Regents' fault.
Could it be that when they were making this determination, whoever grants that status was focusing on Arctic Ocean research and Fairbanks is the closest city with a university to the Arctic Ocean in the US?

Squarebanks
08-03-2011, 11:24 AM
That doesn't change the facts.

The fact that the Gophers got pimp-slapped out of the playoffs by UAA, or the fact that you cared enough to wipe the drool off the keyboard and post on a thread discussing a topic about which nobody purportedly cares?

Squarebanks
08-03-2011, 11:45 AM
UAF is Alaska's main research university (hence the land, sea, and space grant status). The University of Alaska system was awarded sea-grant status in 1980. My guess is that the program consolidated at UAF because of facilities that were already in place; UAA didn't exist in its present form until the mid-1970's, while UAF had already been functioning as the "University of Alaska" from the 1930's until the 70's when the state created created UAS (the Juneau campus) and UAA out of already-existing community colleges, and Fairbanks was given the UAF designation.

Probably more history than you ever cared to know about.

I'm sorry about interupting a perfectly good pis$ing match.

Could it be that when they were making this determination, whoever grants that status was focusing on Arctic Ocean research and Fairbanks is the closest city with a university to the Arctic Ocean in the US?

UMDSimmerdown
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
We can't give UMD the title of Minnesota' Pride On Ice on account of the Dogs had Canadians on their roster.

So a roster full of Minnesotans is required? Guess the Gophers haven't held the POI status for awhile...

state of hockey
08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
So a roster full of Minnesotans is required? Guess the Gophers haven't held the POI status for awhile...

I don't think it takes all Minnesotans. I do, however, think it takes more than one title out of the six won by programs in the state. :)

UMDSimmerdown
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't think it takes all Minnesotans. I do, however, think it takes more than one title out of the six won by programs in the state. :)

How quickly the "where's your banner?" taunt has turned to "we have more..." I guess pride has short term dementia, which is understandable when looking into the crowd at Mariucci Arena.

Do we at least get a gold star for having the same number of Hobey Baker award recipients?

state of hockey
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Do we at least get a gold star for having the same number of Hobey Baker award recipients?

No.

The Rube
08-03-2011, 10:02 PM
How quickly the "where's your banner?" taunt has turned to "we have more..." I guess pride has short term dementia, which is understandable when looking into the crowd at Mariucci Arena.

Just be happy you're finally in the Big Boys' Club. ;)

And no one cares about Alaska.

Biddco
08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't think it takes all Minnesotans. I do, however, think it takes more than one title out of the six won by programs in the state. :)Give us four years...;)

Or 200 years...

Shirtless Guy
08-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Give us four years...;)

Or 200 years... to find the basement of the new league?;)

richl49
08-11-2011, 01:43 AM
http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/15004515/article-WCHA-commissioner-visits-Fairbanks--UAF?instance=home_sports_bullets

Sounds like travel to Alaska is the biggest issue facing UAF joining UAA in the same conference. McLeod seems to say everything else from Fairbanks fits the WCHA criteria, although he doesn't necessarily seem blown away. He certainly seems to leave things very open as far as what could happen to either UAF or the rest of the CCHA in regards to joining the WCHA.