X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome Back to the WCHA Northern Michigan

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    .... grow the brand ...
    Hopefully those three words never come out of any official associated with the WCHA ... unless of course it's mocking them.
    Last edited by uaafanblog; 07-23-2011, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      IMO, the Xcel energy should be the place where the WCHA should continue to grow the brand. We don't know if people will abandon their tickets just yet. Don't write it off.
      Can I have some of what you are smoking?

I doubt notre Dame would pick the WCHA but......... 28 confernece games and 10 non conference games would be a pretty sweet set up for them. Especially if they can get deals done with their former CCHA teams in Miami, MSU, Michigan and Ohio state.
      Last edited by scsutommyboy; 07-22-2011, 10:32 PM.
      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
        Looking forward to a new era of Cat hockey. Renewing the league rivalry with MTU and building new rivalries will be exciting.

Any early speculation on where a WCHA playoff final four might be played in the future? St. Paul doesn't seem to be a realistic option after the 12-13 season. Maybe Green Bay or Milwaukee?
        It should most definitely NOT be in the Twin Cities. It's a metro area that is a dump in my opinion and unworthy of any more WCHA tournaments after Minnesota and Duluth skipped out. Rotate it..NOT in Wisconsin either!? What? Not a single school is in Wisconsin. Make it a 6-year rotation....one year in Mankato, next in St. Cloud, next in Houghton, next Marquette, etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Green Bay has the best fit for arena size, considering its not used by a team that abandoned the WCHA. As for someone saying beer sales...I wonder what the policy is at Amsoil Arena and if somehow the WCHA did have their tournament there, if there could be beer sales. Minneapolis/St Paul would be the best because of the metropolitan area and the number of alums there. While Green Bay is not central to the lower-48 WCHA teams, it does seem to fit the size/neutral aspect of things. From your perspective, I'm sure you'd rather have it in Fargo, since that is neutral and the same size venue and about as central as Green Bay. I wouldn't be surprised if it bounced around between Fargo, Green Bay and any arena in between that would have them.
          Amsoil....you kidding me?????????? Come on man! Mankato, Bemidji and St. Cloud HATE Duluth. Duluth skipped out on the WCHA. With all due respect. Green Bay doesn't deserve squat. They are not a part of the WCHA. It would be like hosting the Big Ten tournament in North Dakota or something.

Comment

I gotta say something as one who has lived in Duluth. They HATE Bemidji, St. Cloud and Mankato with a PASSION! Likewise, those schools HATE Duluth, and even more now that the Dogs skipped out on the WCHA.Green Bay is a football town with NO WCHA team. ROTATE it amongst the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by RamboWildcat View Post
              I gotta say something as one who has lived in Duluth. They HATE Bemidji, St. Cloud and Mankato with a PASSION! Likewise, those schools HATE Duluth, and even more now that the Dogs skipped out on the WCHA.Green Bay is a football town with NO WCHA team. ROTATE it amongst the schools.
              So should Greenbay get the WCHA final four or what?
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

It should most definitely NOT be in the Twin Cities. It's a metro area that is a dump in my opinion and unworthy of any more WCHA tournaments after Minnesota and Duluth skipped out. Rotate it..NOT in Wisconsin either!? What? Not a single school is in Wisconsin. Make it a 6-year rotation....one year in Mankato, next in St. Cloud, next in Houghton, next Marquette, etc......
                *****http://www.clipartoday.com/_thumbs/024/smileys/smileys_008_01_tnb.png******
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by mwellens View Post

That leaves Green Bay as the best option. Is it perfect? No, but in talking with the Press-Gazette's USHL beat writer, he thinks fans would come out for a yearly WCHA championship there, especially if the Resch and WCHA can pull off some good drink specials. In his words, cheap booze, "would help."

The Green Bay Gamblers, GB Blizzard (Arena football) and Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (Minor league baseball) have all shown no matter how crappy the product is on the field or ice, Wisconsinites will flock to any event that features cheap beer.
                  And in other news...... Water is Wet!
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  If they rotate the league championship to home arena sites, I don't even want to know what the bastard child of the Final 5 and Houghton road trip weekend would turn into.
                  Holy exploding livers Batman!!!!
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

FYI - Travel distances (excluding UAA since they'll have to fly anyway):

BSU to Green Bay - 8.5 hours; BSU to Duluth - 3 hours; BSU to MSP - 4 hours
                    MSU to Green Bay - 6 hours; Mankato to Duluth - 4 hours; Mankato to MSP - 1.5 hours
                    MTU to Green Bay - 4 hours; MTU to Duluth - 4 hours; MTU to MSP - 6.5 hours
                    NMU to Green Bay - 2.5 hours; NMU to Duluth - 4.5 hours; NMU to MSP - 7 hours
                    SCSU to Green Bay - 6 hours; SCSU to Duluth - 3 hours; SCSU to MSP - 1.25 hours

Yep - Green Bay is the most "centrally" located place for the tourney
                    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                    ECAC:
                    HEA: UMass
                    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      FYI - Travel distances (excluding UAA since they'll have to fly anyway):

BSU to Green Bay - 8.5 hours; BSU to Duluth - 3 hours; BSU to MSP - 4 hours
                      MSU to Green Bay - 6 hours; Mankato to Duluth - 4 hours; Mankato to MSP - 1.5 hours
                      MTU to Green Bay - 4 hours; MTU to Duluth - 4 hours; MTU to MSP - 6.5 hours
                      NMU to Green Bay - 2.5 hours; NMU to Duluth - 4.5 hours; NMU to MSP - 7 hours
                      SCSU to Green Bay - 6 hours; SCSU to Duluth - 3 hours; SCSU to MSP - 1.25 hours

Yep - Green Bay is the most "centrally" located place for the tourney
                      NMU to GB in 2.5 hours?? Does that include the time change?? I've gone down there many a time, and the only time we made it un under 3:30 is when my FIB roommate was driving over 100 on M-35.
                      And, while purely for selfish reasons I'd love to see the tourny in Duluth (much like Mrs. Palin and Russia, I can see Amsoil from my porch), it's unlikely.
                      Here's my prediction for what will happen for the league tourny: the powers that be or will be with the WCHA will re-evaluate, they will pick the place that will financially work the best for them. Travel distance will not be put in to much consideration, especially for the new members. Then, the fans will spend the next 5 years having grammar fuckery ridden arguments over whether that was the right or wrong call.
                      Always a Wildcat...
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Having just driven Marquette to GB 3 weeks ago...split it it. It took me 3 and I wasn't driving like a FIB.

And for those of you that know where I was coming from, I'm not going to explain how I ended up in Marquette.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                          Having just driven Marquette to GB 3 weeks ago...split it it. It took me 3 and I wasn't driving like a FIB.

And for those of you that know where I was coming from, I'm not going to explain how I ended up in Marquette.
                          Someone missed 141.
                          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I also think they should keep looking at the Xcel and only move if it will be like the CCHA tournament attendance.
                            If you go small, the building may not be able to supply the demand.

If you have to go smaller, how about Van Andel arena in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

If your team makes the final four, they should fill the place....

Comment

The WCHA is currently in negotiations to continue the Final 5 in St. Paul. McLeod was interviewed on St. Cloud Radio this week and said it is their first choice and looks good.
                              "I think we are welcomed. But it was not a peaceful welcome." —George W. Bush, defending Vice President Dick Cheney's pre-war assertion that the United States would be welcomed in Iraq

Comment

I gotta say something as one who has lived in Duluth. They HATE Bemidji, St. Cloud and Mankato with a PASSION!
                                Not that you were believable in the first place, but you really gave yourself away right here. No one cares about Mankato.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X