Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason III: Two Years To Prove It Can Be Done

*puke*
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Given the quotes after the NCHC formed, it appeared that SCSU was one of those "oooo pick me pick me!" schools that got denied, and now has a chance due to other schools not appearing to be willing to join. Pathetic. Kinda like the last kid picked for a team in gym.
      I'm not sure about how reliable that Kzoo article was. The reporter also said:

"WMU has a chance to save a few travel dollars and enjoy quick and consistent success in the 2013-14 WCHA"
      and
      "The WCHA knows Western Michigan would be the prize of its league"

I think he was "guilding the lilly" a bit......taking liberties with the truth......

If SCSU is in talks with the Nacho league, it would be a big change from their earlier statement of "we weren't invited and wouldn't have accepted if we were."
      If they do jump ship, they deserve what they get as the red-headed stepchild of the Nacho league......beaten severely and often.

Comment

Let me change directions for a second.

What is the best way to get tickets for the two AIC games in October?

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post

Show up at the door. They changed the ticket site this Summer and it no longer has athletic events.

Edit: They've added the athletic tickets to the ticketing site.
          Last edited by Flashy Man; 09-01-2011, 09:54 PM.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post

1. Drive/fly to Houghton
            2. Show up to the ticket office in the arena lobby on game day
            3. Purchase tickets

Trust me, you won't get screwed out of seats. As far as I know, the only games that have occasionally resulted in an SRO situation since the late 80s involve NMU.

However, if you feel that you should purchase in advance, try here.

EDIT: I see that ticket prices have gotten a slight bump this year. $2 isn't much, but they did do it.
            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 09-01-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post

If SCSU is in talks with the Nacho league, it would be a big change from their earlier statement of "we weren't invited and wouldn't have accepted if we were."
              If they do jump ship, they deserve what they get as the red-headed stepchild of the Nacho league......beaten severely and often.
              This is what I was referring to, actually. Quite the 180 if they join.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

This is what I was referring to, actually. Quite the 180 if they join.
                I guess the question is, are the administrators and fans really that attached to playing the schools that are departing for the NCHC? I'll grant you North Dakota, but that's a secondary/minor rivalry for both teams (probably not even on the Sioux's 'rivalry' list). The Gophers are the program they reserve most of their hate for.

I know that in my case, I've pretty much gotten over all the splits. The only teams I'm going to miss a little are North Dakota and Duluth. The CO schools I don't really care other than CSprings and Denver being semi-**** roadtrips, but I tend to like smaller cities/towns more anyway. Omaha will have been a blip on the WCHA's radar in two years, so that's no loss.

The only thing that still sets me off a little about this move is the notion that the NCHC is automatically the greatest collegiate hockey conference in history. While it's likely they will end up with three teams in the tournament most years, any more than that on a regular basis remains to be seen. Not to mention that programs will still finish at the bottom, and those teams who find themselves near the bottom more often than not, may find life in the NCHC less glamorous than they had envisioned.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I guess the question is, are the administrators and fans really that attached to playing the schools that are departing for the NCHC? I'll grant you North Dakota, but that's a secondary/minor rivalry for both teams (probably not even on the Sioux's 'rivalry' list). The Gophers are the program they reserve most of their hate for.

I know that in my case, I've pretty much gotten over all the splits. The only teams I'm going to miss a little are North Dakota and Duluth. The CO schools I don't really care other than CSprings and Denver being semi-**** roadtrips, but I tend to like smaller cities/towns more anyway. Omaha will have been a blip on the WCHA's radar in two years, so that's no loss.

The only thing that still sets me off a little about this move is the notion that the NCHC is automatically the greatest collegiate hockey conference in history. While it's likely they will end up with three teams in the tournament most years, any more than that on a regular basis remains to be seen. Not to mention that programs will still finish at the bottom, and those teams who find themselves near the bottom more often than not, may find life in the NCHC less glamorous than they had envisioned.
                  For me, the SCSU response was a puke-worthy "no one asked you, why respond" thing. And now they might join? Hypocrisy at its best. Imagine in high school, you ask a girl out (a girl that is out of your league). She says no. Ok, so you ask a meh girl, just so you have a date. That is how I see this NCHC/SCSU situation. They still don't want SCSU, but right now? They'll take what they can get.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

For me, the SCSU response was a puke-worthy "no one asked you, why respond" thing. And now they might join? Hypocrisy at its best. Imagine in high school, you ask a girl out (a girl that is out of your league). She says no. Ok, so you ask a meh girl, just so you have a date. That is how I see this NCHC/SCSU situation. They still don't want SCSU, but right now? They'll take what they can get.
                    Agreed. IMHO it's like HF says, a dumb move. Think about it, what do they gain.... lets see, more TV exposure... not much more... more money,... not really, the WCHA total income likely has been in the same neighborhood due to the final 5 cash. So maybe a slight bump in net but the expenses are a lot higher so net won't rise much. Is the marginal increase in exposure and the definite increase in losing going to get them better recruits.. unlikely. Will it up their chances of getting into the ncaa. no. So overall why join.

To me the nchc is grasping at straws now, as a 6 team league is not good from a money point of view. Will I miss any of the teams... UMD I guess. But we might end up playing them anyway.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      Agreed. IMHO it's like HF says, a dumb move. Think about it, what do they gain.... lets see, more TV exposure... not much more... more money,... not really, the WCHA total income likely has been in the same neighborhood due to the final 5 cash. So maybe a slight bump in net but the expenses are a lot higher so net won't rise much. Is the marginal increase in exposure and the definite increase in losing going to get them better recruits.. unlikely. Will it up their chances of getting into the ncaa. no. So overall why join.

To me the nchc is grasping at straws now, as a 6 team league is not good from a money point of view. Will I miss any of the teams... UMD I guess. But we might end up playing them anyway.
                      Agree. With the addition of the CCHA teams, St. Cloud leaving isn't as big a loss at this point. Why they want to go I'm not sure as they haven't been able to climb to the top of the current WCHA ladder; they should have viewed the new WCHA as an opportunity as tech is.

Comment

I agree with FTB&G, I'm finally getting over the splits as well and looking forward to the new WCHA.

I will enjoy watching the new as much as I ever did the old. I live in CCHA country and I can't stand the UM / MSU and everybody else mentality.

The best part is to see Tech rise back and be a force in the league. If Mel said he is here to stay, that is awesome.

Hockey is still hockey though and there should not be the expectation that Tech cannot win the 2013 -14 GLI's and beyond.
                        The old saying Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Well, now Tech is going to have some greater depth which has been the problem the last 30 years.
                        I hope the "leftovers" give it to the other programs this year to remind them that it always is settled on the ice.

I hope the GLI continues, I'm wondering what the Olympia Arenas thinks of all of this. Will they continue the support of college hockey? I would think so, but to be fair the CCHA tournament was a total embarassment to this area and is probably a good thing that it is gone.

As for this year's GLI, I fully expect MTU to beat State this year and make the title game against Boston College. That is my expectation. I can't wait to see the tourney this year.

Comment

I'm excited about the realignment. I, too, will miss Duluth. the others ... not so much.
                          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

It's not only about trying to make more money, it's also about spending more money. St. Cloud recently moved to drop their football program, until a student fee saved it. I know they've got an arena upgrade on their upcoming schedule, but I'm under the impression that it is mostly state-funded. SCSU doesn't sound like they have an Athletic Department that is willing to blow $Texas on some hope of competing with the B1G's name recognition.
                            Pretty much, the NCHC is going to have to spend a whole lot of money now for travel. Its not really going to affect DU, CC, and UNO that much, but UND, Duluth, and Miami are going to notice it a bit. Sure, they don't have to go to Alaska now, but they had most of that flight paid for, and they got an extra weekend to play with for that trip. They don't have that now.

Yeah, honestly, I could easily see Duluth and Miami to come crawling back to being with the new WCHA, especily if WMU and BGSU opt to go WCHA. Miami might be more willing to stick around the NCHA if the rest of the MAC schools go to the NaCHo, but I could still see Duluth having second thoughts about NaCHo League without the Irish.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

While it's likely [the NaCHo] will end up with three teams in the tournament most years, any more than that on a regular basis remains to be seen. Not to mention that programs will still finish at the bottom, and those teams who find themselves near the bottom more often than not, may find life in the NCHC less glamorous than they had envisioned.
                              If those teams believe they are as good as they think they are, they will do themselves a huge service by limiting the number of conference games. I know the obvious play is for a balanced schedule of 4 games against each of the other 5 teams (20 games), but someone has to lose those games and you are hanging a lot of losses on someone's record before you even get out of conference play. A smarter move might be to NOT play everyone home and away and let the teams find more non-conference (and in their eyes) lesser opponents to put some wins on their overall records.

Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Could be a fourth Pietila (Jay) trying out.

Comment

Working...
                                X