Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason III: Two Years To Prove It Can Be Done

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
    Appears to be solid forward recruit (LW BTW).

My guess on the next 16 or 17 year old will be the younger L'esperance.
    Other prospect described as a "strong skater," this time by scouts at TheScoutingNews.com

I completely agree with L'Esperance, he's part of the "family" but I wouldn't be surprised Mel & Company went back to Illinois for another Midget Major kid. There are about 6 players on my watch list with Joel the most likely to commit to MTU.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Mel is bringing back Suomi Kuutsuu (Finland calling)

Way to go Mel....
      Got to love having a great recruiter in the fold.
      Any word on the assistants. Will Muckalt handle the forwards and Whitten the D or vice versa?????

Comment

Well I for one am pretty impressed. If the regular season goes anything like this last two weeks we are in for one heck of a ride.I'd like to hear the players reaction to the first week of meeting and off ice stuff if anyone has an in
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Other prospect described as a "strong skater," this time by scouts at TheScoutingNews.com

I completely agree with L'Esperance, he's part of the "family" but I wouldn't be surprised Mel & Company went back to Illinois for another Midget Major kid. There are about 6 players on my watch list with Joel the most likely to commit to MTU.
          L'esperance is a solid skater as well.

FYI - I believe Kauppila's Grandpa grew up in Calumet.

Comment

L'esperance is a solid skater as well.

FYI - I believe Kauppila's Grandpa grew up in Calumet.
            It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's true about Kauppila's grandpa. It seems like half the recruits are related to someone from the Keweenaw. L'Esperance is a quality kid and certainly should be near the top of Mel's list to target next.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

L'Esperance is a quality kid and certainly should be near the top of Mel's list to target next.
              While on the Keweenaw connections, one set of his grandparents are both from the Keweenaw.

Comment

Appears to be part of the strategy to sell tickets. There a still a lot of Kauppilas in Calumet. No, I'm sure he's a player.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Nice in depth article in the DMG today by Stephen Anderson about the current situation when the team will get started.

I wonder how much we should pay attention to the paragraph about the goalie from Hibbing?

Tech hockey staff still busy
                  August 25, 2011
                  By Stephen Anderson - DMG Sports Writer (sanderson@mininggazette.com) , The Daily Mining Gazette
                  Save |
                  HOUGHTON - It's been a busy offseason for the Michigan Tech hockey program, bringing in a new coaching staff, reacting to college hockey's major conference realignment and putting the foundation in place to get the Huskies back on the winning track.

First-year head coach Mel Pearson and his assistants Bill Muckalt and Damon Whitten have been busy on the recruiting trail, finalizing the 2011-12 roster and building for beyond.

"It's been very productive, and I've been very encouraged by the recruiting process," Pearson said. "We're basically laying the foundations for the future in recruiting."

Jimmy Davis from East Kentwood High School was the first recruit nabbed by Pearson, after watching the 18-year-old play on par with top junior-level players at a Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL) camp. Pearson knew East Kentwood coach Todd Bell and noted that western Michigan has become a progressively better recruiting region.

"I'm expecting Jimmy to compete for a spot on our team," Pearson said. "There will be some bumps in the road, especially coming right out of high school, but he's showed us that he's going to be more than a capable player at Michigan Tech."

Defensemen Riley Sweeney and Nick Cecere, who were initially contacted during the Jamie Russell era, both finalized their national letters of intent to play at Michigan Tech this fall.

Pearson noted that Sweeney skates well and is expected to deliver more offense from the blue line. Cecere won't likely put up many points, but prides himself in effort off the puck.

Pearson noted that it could take a few years through the recruiting process to ideally adapt to Pearson's up-tempo, offensively aggressive style. NCAA rules prohibit him from acknowledging specific names of recruits beyond this season, but he said that several have verbally committed to Tech.

"Recruiting has been good. We've had a number of unofficial visits," Pearson said. "It's been very positive and the kids are very impressed with the facilities and enjoy the campus and the community."

One intriguing situation could be that of Nathan Tromp, a standout goaltender for Hibbing-Chisholm High School in Minnesota, who is coming to Tech this fall because he wants to be an engineer. During a discussion about goaltenders, he said, "We have another kid who may possibly be part of our team."

Regarding the Huskies' current goaltenders, all of whom are upperclassmen, Pearson said, "They'll all get a good look early. It's a fresh season. ...I would like to (have a No. 1), but I'm not afraid to split goaltenders.

"We have to do a better job as a team supporting our goaltenders," Pearson added. "That all starts with our forwards and a better puck possession game and working harder defensively with our defensemen."

Pearson emphasized the need to carry the play in the offensive zone, possess the puck, allow forwards more freedom to create and backcheck hard. While systems are fairly well established among the three coaches, line combinations and specific situation-based approaches are yet to be determined - Pearson citing some "intense" discussions about differing forechecking philosophies as an example.

The defense, with the addition of more mobile, puck-moving defensemen, has a nice blend of size and skill, according to Pearson. While defensive pairings are far from determined at this stage, Pearson wants to mix freshmen with upperclassmen.

The Huskies will have their first team meeting Monday to set the tone for the year, establish expectations both on and off the ice, and gauge players' fitness levels. On-ice work with coaches begins Sept. 15, probably four days a week leading into the Oct. 1 exhibition contest against Lakehead. That game, and a pair of series against American International (Oct. 7-8) and current Western Collegiate Athletic Conference foe Wisconsin (Oct. 14-15) will all take place at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.

Wisconsin and Minnesota will leave for the new Big Ten league in 2013-14, while five other WCHA schools will join the newly-formed National Collegiate Hockey Conference that year.

Talks are currently ongoing between the WCHA and CCHA about a possible merger, according to a press release following a joint meeting of leaders in the two conferences Tuesday in Chicago. All options are being explored, though Pearson does not expect any quick moves. He said the current cooldown period is needed after the initial scramble could have led to hasty decisions.

Michigan Tech looks to take a leadership position in the future of the WCHA, but according to Pearson, "the future of Michigan Tech starts now. By no means are we just throwing this year away to get better in the future. I think we can do some things this year and I believe in those kids in the locker room."

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                    Nice in depth article in the DMG today by Stephen Anderson about the current situation when the team will get started.

I wonder how much we should pay attention to the paragraph about the goalie from Hibbing?
                    Hibbing had some talent last year, but I don't know how Tromp would be in the WCHA. He didn't fare very well against the better teams throughout the year, and tended to shut down the Silver Bays of the world. I remember that he was very good in the state quarterfinals where he shutout Lourdes, but then he came back 2 days later and got shelled by Hermantown. I think the kid is a borderline 3rd stringer, at best. The club team's starter at worst.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Hibbing had some talent last year, but I don't know how Tromp would be in the WCHA. He didn't fare very well against the better teams throughout the year, and tended to shut down the Silver Bays of the world. I remember that he was very good in the state quarterfinals where he shutout Lourdes, but then he came back 2 days later and got shelled by Hermantown. I think the kid is a borderline 3rd stringer, at best. The club team's starter at worst.
                      Conversing with SG we feel he's a probable replacement for our resident coin collector. He won't require any scholarship and they could have him play with the Pioneers or Wolverines to get some seasoning.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if he paired the two freshman with the two juniors as his top four.
                        The defense, with the addition of more mobile, puck-moving defensemen, has a nice blend of size and skill, according to Pearson. While defensive pairings are far from determined at this stage, Pearson wants to mix freshmen with upperclassmen.
                        JSR echo syndrome.

Comment

JSR echo syndrome.
                          Well no kidding? You're a freaking genius. I certainly hope he wouldn't pair Davis with Sweeney...that would be a great way play the game!

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                            Talks are currently ongoing between the WCHA and CCHA about a possible merger, according to a press release following a joint meeting of leaders in the two conferences Tuesday in Chicago. All options are being explored, though Pearson does not expect any quick moves. He said the current cooldown period is needed after the initial scramble could have led to hasty decisions.
                            So much for that theory. And the knee jerk reactions continue... What was wrong with 6 or 7 teams in the WCHA?

Was Notre Dame even at the CCHA / WCHA meetings? I noticed nobody mentioned one word about them from either conference.

Ryan J
                            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 08-25-2011, 07:03 PM.
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Suzanne apparently does not think that a six-team league could survive in the new landscape (source: manurespreader in discussions with her). If that's what she thinks, then I'm sure the WCHA ADs were in agreement.

Notre Dame was not at the meetings, and will likely be headed for the NCHC.

Comment

Well no kidding? You're a freaking genius. I certainly hope he wouldn't pair Davis with Sweeney...that would be a great way play the game!
                                For one, I recall numerous freshman pairings with the previous coaching staff if you're implying that it's a given that a college coach wouldn't do that. Secondly his statement implies that the freshman will indeed get significant playing time, while paired with upper class men, which was the original discussion point. So if by saying I'm a genius you're saying that I think the same way as Pearson, I'm OK with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X