PDA

View Full Version : NCHC - D3 Fallout?

elbojpb
07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
With the announcement (http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/2011-07-13/new-di-hockey-conference-formed)of the new super D1 conference, the Big 10 league, and the prospect of some of the "have nots" going under or reverting to D2/3 ... what potential ramifications for D3 hockey??

Josh Carey
07-14-2011, 04:34 AM
I see no reason why this would have any impact on D3. There aren't enough D2 teams that would kick out to make that division viable, and the D3 schools would likely rebel at the concept of a combined D2/D3 National Collegiate Championship that involved teams that had just been playing with the top teams at the D1 level.

The D1 outcasts will keep going in 1-2 leagues of their own and this won't trickle down much at all.

The real drama in D3 alignment is that situation with Utica and the SUNYAC. If the Pioneers leave the ECAC-West, that conference is again on life support. There will be a lot of pressure on the ECAC-West now that the MASCAC has their bid and the league's run of dominating Pool B is over.

PrezdeJohnson09
07-14-2011, 06:33 AM
The real drama in D3 alignment is that situation with Utica and the SUNYAC. If the Pioneers leave the ECAC-West, that conference is again on life support. There will be a lot of pressure on the ECAC-West now that the MASCAC has their bid and the league's run of dominating Pool B is over.

I could be wrong. But I think Utica to the SUNYAC is all but dead.

NUProf
07-14-2011, 08:56 AM
With the impending addition of Nazareth, it would take one more startup joining the ECAC West, or moving there from an existing conference to revitalize it, and give it an autobid instead of a defacto autobid

MountieBoyOz
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't think you will see someone drop down to D3. I would love to see someone like an Ithaca start a program to give the ECAC West an Empire 8 type feel, but that won't be happening.

joecct
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't think you will see someone drop down to D3. I would love to see someone like an Ithaca start a program to give the ECAC West an Empire 8 type feel, but that won't be happening.If somebody drops down, the whole athletic department has to go down (haven't we discussed this before??? :D). But, we have 2 - 3 new D-III programs coming in by 2016.
Nazareth
Canton
Stevenson (women next year and men, I think, by 2015)

That's a lot better than D-I is doing and they have College Hockey, Inc. doing the heavy lifting.

elbojpb
07-14-2011, 03:53 PM
In one of the D1 "the sky is falling" threads, this suggestion (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?96519-Future-of-the-ccha&p=5169175&viewfull=1#post5169175) was made regarding the left out Michigan schools. Interesting proposition throwing Adrian in to that mix ... where the talent level of the remaining Michigan D1's would most likely fall to that of the AHA when the two new super conferences scoop up all the best talent enticed by guaranteed media contracts attached.

joecct
07-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Adrian is not going anywhere and nobody is going from D-II to D-III. But has anyone noticed that the new WCHA is all D-II schools and that Bowling Green (assuming that ND and WMU both find a new home) is sitting on an island as the only "unaffiliated" D-I school?

UCBadger
07-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Adrian is not going anywhere and nobody is going from D-II to D-III. But has anyone noticed that the new WCHA is all D-II schools and that Bowling Green (assuming that ND and WMU both find a new home) is sitting on an island as the only "unaffiliated" D-I school?

Help me out here. How is this all RIT's fault? ;):p:D

joecct
07-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Help me out here. How is this all RIT's fault? ;):p:DBut can any good come from Nazareth?

NUProf
07-15-2011, 07:26 AM
But can any good come from Nazareth?

I bet that one goes over a lot of people's heads :)

Hammer
07-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm even missing on that one.

NUProf
07-15-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm even missing on that one.

Think Bible verses...

greenG
07-23-2011, 02:34 PM

Yes, but 3 (Canisius, Niagara, and Robert Morris) of the 4 AHA schools that will probably join the CCHA are D-I.