NCHC - D3 Fallout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCHC - D3 Fallout?

With the announcement of the new super D1 conference, the Big 10 league, and the prospect of some of the "have nots" going under or reverting to D2/3 ... what potential ramifications for D3 hockey??

Re: NCHC - D3 Fallout?

I see no reason why this would have any impact on D3. There aren't enough D2 teams that would kick out to make that division viable, and the D3 schools would likely rebel at the concept of a combined D2/D3 National Collegiate Championship that involved teams that had just been playing with the top teams at the D1 level.

The D1 outcasts will keep going in 1-2 leagues of their own and this won't trickle down much at all.

The real drama in D3 alignment is that situation with Utica and the SUNYAC. If the Pioneers leave the ECAC-West, that conference is again on life support. There will be a lot of pressure on the ECAC-West now that the MASCAC has their bid and the league's run of dominating Pool B is over.
    2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
    2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
    2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
    Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
      The real drama in D3 alignment is that situation with Utica and the SUNYAC. If the Pioneers leave the ECAC-West, that conference is again on life support. There will be a lot of pressure on the ECAC-West now that the MASCAC has their bid and the league's run of dominating Pool B is over.
      I could be wrong. But I think Utica to the SUNYAC is all but dead.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

With the impending addition of Nazareth, it would take one more startup joining the ECAC West, or moving there from an existing conference to revitalize it, and give it an autobid instead of a defacto autobid
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I don't think you will see someone drop down to D3. I would love to see someone like an Ithaca start a program to give the ECAC West an Empire 8 type feel, but that won't be happening.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
            I don't think you will see someone drop down to D3. I would love to see someone like an Ithaca start a program to give the ECAC West an Empire 8 type feel, but that won't be happening.
            If somebody drops down, the whole athletic department has to go down (haven't we discussed this before??? ). But, we have 2 - 3 new D-III programs coming in by 2016.
            Nazareth
            Canton
            Stevenson (women next year and men, I think, by 2015)

That's a lot better than D-I is doing and they have College Hockey, Inc. doing the heavy lifting.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A Michigan Conference?

In one of the D1 "the sky is falling" threads, this suggestion was made regarding the left out Michigan schools. Interesting proposition throwing Adrian in to that mix ... where the talent level of the remaining Michigan D1's would most likely fall to that of the AHA when the two new super conferences scoop up all the best talent enticed by guaranteed media contracts attached.

Comment

Adrian is not going anywhere and nobody is going from D-II to D-III. But has anyone noticed that the new WCHA is all D-II schools and that Bowling Green (assuming that ND and WMU both find a new home) is sitting on an island as the only "unaffiliated" D-I school?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Adrian is not going anywhere and nobody is going from D-II to D-III. But has anyone noticed that the new WCHA is all D-II schools and that Bowling Green (assuming that ND and WMU both find a new home) is sitting on an island as the only "unaffiliated" D-I school?
                  Help me out here. How is this all RIT's fault?
                  2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                  2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                  2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                  2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                  Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                  1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                    Help me out here. How is this all RIT's fault?
                    But can any good come from Nazareth?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

But can any good come from Nazareth?
                      I bet that one goes over a lot of people's heads

Comment

I'm even missing on that one.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          I'm even missing on that one.
                          Think Bible verses...

Comment

Yes, but 3 (Canisius, Niagara, and Robert Morris) of the 4 AHA schools that will probably join the CCHA are D-I.
                            Michigan State University Spartans
                            NCAA Champions - 1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                            X