Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Super League" press conference is now live.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    So if that is your philosophy, shouldn't you be staying out of this thread?
    You don't bother, why should anyone else?
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Re: The "Super League" press conference is now live.

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      6 schools is not a problem, it is a solution.

It's one thing for a school to not be able to survive without a conference, it's another to fold because your conference is no longer strong enough nor contains the big name schools.

If you have a conference and are able to get 10-14 home games from that and still can't make it work, then the school just isn't committed enough to the sport to make things work. If teams were able to survive in the CHA for years, the teams left in the WCHA and CCHA should also be able to survive as long as they stick togeather.

Every other athletic program exists at these schools in conferences that don't contain any of the big name programs, I fail to see why hockey can't work in the framework if you already have all of the structure and organization in place.

That said, I also understand why the fans of the schools who were excluded are so upset over this, no one wants to be kicked out of the country club after they were a member.
      Its not so much that they're getting kicked out of their country club, its just that a lot of members have left, and now a real estate developer is threatening to buy up the great golf course so that he can tear it all up, put up housing all around it, and make it more into a Bushwood type course rather than say a Pebble Beach.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        I think they came up with a name that will sound impressive on Versus and up in Canada, which at the end of the day is what this is all about.

The "National" Football League & "National" Hockey League had a pretty small geographic footprint when those leagues came up with their names [NFL - New York to Green Bay & NHL - Boston to Chicago]. So naming something "National" can mean where you are going rather than where you are at the present time.

Clearly the league wants Notre Dame ASAP. They should get them by August.

Long range they might want or dream about getting BC, BU, USC, UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas or Syracuse. Million to one shots to be sure, but a girl's got to dream.
        Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          You don't bother, why should anyone else?
          Well given you request others stay out of certain threads, I just thought it was logical. Though I can see why you wouldn't want to abide by your own request, it would mean you couldn't post in any thread in five years when half the Husky athletic department folds.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            6 schools is not a problem, it is a solution.

It's one thing for a school to not be able to survive without a conference, it's another to fold because your conference is no longer strong enough nor contains the big name schools.
            I have no doubt that the remaining schools will band together to form a conference of some sort. I question whether or not UAH will be a part of those discussions, and, if they are, if there will be anything more than lip service paid to them while the western AHA schools are offered any spot that UAH would occupy.

UAH thrived in CHA. Then the rug got pulled out and they fell on their ***. Their their face got stepped on when Jim Harris died and their guts ripped out when Williams left to be a dean at Ohio State.

It's hard for me to be rosy about this. Bemoan Lake State and Ferris all you want, we got ****ed on not once (five years ago when Air Force toppled the first domino), but twice (when the CCHA slammed the door), and I'm afraid this fall the third time will be the charm.

It's hard to hang out with people who simply don't want you around.
            Last edited by MikeAnderson; 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM.
            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
            2006 Time Person of the Year
            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
              Well given you request others stay out of certain threads, I just thought it was logical. Though I can see why you wouldn't want to abide by your own request, it would mean you couldn't post in any thread in five years when half the Husky athletic department folds.
              I'd rather you just left period, along with anyone else who would actively cheer the death of programs.
              Personally you and Sicatoka can both go sit on something sharp.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                ****...I was pulling for Hockey West.
                "The Hockey Conference"
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  Let's see, UND came from a 6067 seat built with student fees rink. They'd be in there, with it full.
                  Before that UND had an unheated quanset with a sheet of ice with chicken wire instead of glass.

North Dakota built a program that could stand on its own long before Mr. Engelstad built an arena.

But keep making excuses about why other programs haven't been serious about their futures.
                  And so where did that put North Dakota in college hockey's financial landscape of the day? Oh yeah, they were right there in the upper echelon, you know back in the day when they were playing the frozen four in the DECC? Let's put Blais, Hakstol or Gasparini at Lake State or Tech and see just where their career win totals are. Dean Blais is one of the guys I respect most in the game, but please, if you can tell me that if he took the offer from Tech that he would have the same winning percentage that he had at North Dakota, I may beg to differ with you.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                    In a stunning bit of gamesmanship, Bruce McLeod is announcing that the WCHA will be re-named "The Lost Boyz".
                    I still prefer "Island of Misfit Toys."
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      Every other athletic program exists at these schools in conferences that don't contain any of the big name programs, I fail to see why hockey can't work in the framework if you already have all of the structure and organization in place.
                      Have you seen the attendance at Northern Sun Conference football and basketball? And those sports have a wider following than hockey does. Shades of things to come, and we cannot support D-I hockey on that.
                      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                        Have you seen the attendance at Northern Sun Conference football and basketball? And those sports have a wider following than hockey does. Shades of things to come, and we cannot support D-I hockey on that.
                        Not only a wider following but for the most part, the schools left behind have had better success in those sports, even if they are at the D2 level and they still can't get the fans.
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          And so where did that put North Dakota in college hockey's financial landscape of the day? Oh yeah, they were right there in the upper echelon, you know back in the day when they were playing the frozen four in the DECC? Let's put Blais, Hakstol or Gasparini at Lake State or Tech and see just where their career win totals are. Dean Blais is one of the guys I respect most in the game, but please, if you can tell me that if he took the offer from Tech that he would have the same winning percentage that he had at North Dakota, I may beg to differ with you.
                          The same? No. But I don't think you can say he wouldn't have had success there. The Ralph has been a big reason why UND has had the success it has recently, but this program, it's tradition, and it wide support have been built up over decades of commitment to a successful program. UND wouldn't even have The Ralph (of which we have yet to raise a NC banner, FYI) if it weren't for the handwork and dedication put in by the previous administrations, players, and coaches of the past at the Old Barn, and The first Ralph Engelstad Arena. UND has EARNED everything they've been given in college hockey...donated or not.

Why don't we go ahead and rename the WCHA the Butt Hurt Hockey Conference. I get people are upset, I would be too, but pointing fingers and whining really isn't going to change anything.
                          Last edited by MinnesotaNorthStar; 07-13-2011, 07:46 PM.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            I was hoping for something with Super in it. Like ... American Super Stars Hockey League ... go ASSHL
                            Go ASSH*L*s!

That's a good one. Tears in my eyes.

Comment

Naive to College Hockey's Condition

Comment

It's definitely sad to see the WCHA crumble like this. Many of us will miss the conference rivalries, large and small, a lot. I personally cannot fathom life without the need for gopher hate counseling. What do you do to fill a hate-void like that? But the tire factory was bound to close sooner or later, so adjust. Start by looking at the positives. Like the fact that Dirty will now be someone else's problem. To us Sioux fans, he's like cousin Eddy--a little disgusting but family, so we love him.

Comment

Working...
                                X