Future of the ccha????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of the ccha????

With Miami leaving the CCHA on the heals of the announcement of the Big Ten conference, what will become of the "leftovers"??? Maybe it's time for stuggling D1 schools like Lake State to consider DIII where they can be competitive. Yes, I know that it's a tough pill to swallow for the proud Laker fans, but given today's economy, the recent decade of frustrating seasons, and the continuing difficulty of attracting blue chippers to the Soo, it could be the best decision.

Re: Future of the ccha????

Maybe you guys should wait until we see what the CCHA and WCHA remnants can work out between them.

Also, Lake State is D2 in all other sports right? Rules say that you could play a D3 schedule, but wouldn't be eligible to win D3 hardware, which makes D3 pointless. Some Houghton locals have tried to argue this regarding Tech before.

Comment

Like FM said, a D-2 school playing D-3 is a really bad idea. Ask Crookston how well that worked.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Good question.

If WMU does not move to the soon to be league and assuming Notre Dame does that would still leave six teams in the CCHA. Robert Morris and Niagara have expressed interest in going to a full compliment of scholarships and Alabama Huntsville needs a league.

More likely would be some combination of the five teams from the WCHA and the remaining teams from the CCHA - and then maybe add some or all of the three schools mentioned above.

Lots of questions and very few answers right now.

Comment

One of two scenarios is likely. Either the two leagues will merge, or the WCHA will attempt to entice NMU and possibly Alaska and/or Lake Superior. That would leave the CCHA to go after schools like Mercyhurst, Niagara, Robert Morris, and a very grateful Huntsville.
          Last edited by davyd83; 07-10-2011, 10:31 PM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Death.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Death.
              Scooby, always available to offer a cheery outlook.
              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

I would look to reach some new multi lg agreements. Lets assume WMU is gone.. and lets guess NMU wants to go west..if so I would try and get to 6 teams with UAF, FSU, LSSU, BGSU,RMU,Mercyh, take my auto bid ship UAH to some new found Atlantic conf with schools that are ok with scholly play Af, Army, Canisius, Niag, (maybe RIT even though they dont have any). The Alaska schools are split up, and UAH is also not in with either---the travel burdens of these leagues are spread out.

At the same time, if I were the Ivys, I think I want my auto bid, so I split from the ECAC... which then opens up more shuffling fro the remaining AH and ECAC schools.

If ND gores east them WMU remains in the new CCHA, Mercy goes back to the new AH, and RIT goes back with the other light schollys.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                  With Miami leaving the CCHA on the heals of the announcement of the Big Ten conference, what will become of the "leftovers"??? Maybe it's time for stuggling D1 schools like Lake State to consider DIII where they can be competitive. Yes, I know that it's a tough pill to swallow for the proud Laker fans, but given today's economy, the recent decade of frustrating seasons, and the continuing difficulty of attracting blue chippers to the Soo, it could be the best decision.

Not sure why LSSU would have to go D-III when, i assume, they would form a new conference with Michigan schools Ferris State, Northern Michigan, Western Michigan, and possibly Michigan Tech. Throw in Bowling Green, you have a 6-team conference, and would cut down on their current travel costs by quite a bit.

Comment

For the leftovers sake, they need to keep two leagues, CCHA and WCHA to keep two autobids. With the SOS hits that both conferences are going to take, only the league champion may make the NCAAs. If the WCHA and CCHA merge the ones that started this problem gain even more with only one autobid for the smaller schools.

I hope it shakes down in this manner, but who knows what impact Notre Dame's decision will have:

CCHA
                    Alaska
                    Ferris State
                    Bowling Green
                    Western Michigan*
                    Mercyhurst
                    Alabama Huntsville
                    Robert Morris
                    Niagara

WCHA
                    Minnesota State
                    Michigan Tech
                    Bemidji State
                    St. Cloud
                    Alaska Anchorage
                    Northern Michigan
                    Lake Superior State

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                      For the leftovers sake, they need to keep two leagues, CCHA and WCHA to keep two autobids. With the SOS hits that both conferences are going to take, only the league champion may make the NCAAs. If the WCHA and CCHA merge the ones that started this problem gain even more with only one autobid for the smaller schools.

I hope it shakes down in this manner, but who knows what impact Notre Dame's decision will have:

CCHA
                      Alaska
                      Ferris State
                      Bowling Green
                      Western Michigan*
                      Mercyhurst
                      Alabama Huntsville
                      Robert Morris
                      Niagara

WCHA
                      Minnesota State
                      Michigan Tech
                      Bemidji State
                      St. Cloud
                      Alaska Anchorage
                      Northern Michigan
                      Lake Superior State
                      Makes sense, like it.

Comment

I have word that RIT would not go to a CCHA.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
                          I would look to reach some new multi lg agreements. Lets assume WMU is gone.. and lets guess NMU wants to go west..if so I would try and get to 6 teams with UAF, FSU, LSSU, BGSU,RMU,Mercyh, take my auto bid ship UAH to some new found Atlantic conf with schools that are ok with scholly play Af, Army, Canisius, Niag, (maybe RIT even though they dont have any). The Alaska schools are split up, and UAH is also not in with either---the travel burdens of these leagues are spread out.

At the same time, if I were the Ivys, I think I want my auto bid, so I split from the ECAC... which then opens up more shuffling fro the remaining AH and ECAC schools.

If ND gores east them WMU remains in the new CCHA, Mercy goes back to the new AH, and RIT goes back with the other light schollys.
                          Ivies already get the autobid from the ECAC most of the time. They have no reason to split off.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            I have word that RIT would not go to a CCHA.
                            RIT can't give out scholarships, IIRC, so there's no reason why they'd ever leave Atlantic Hockey. Right?
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                              RIT can't give out scholarships, IIRC, so there's no reason why they'd ever leave Atlantic Hockey. Right?
                              RIT is not allowed to give out scholarships. The only way they could do that is if their athletic department decided to upgrade their program. In the meantime though what reason would they have to leave Atlantic hockey? They are a top dog in it and even get the conference tourney hosted in Rochester so no reason for them to switch affiliations.

Also there is no way Army and Air Force would leave it either. Army loves the short distance between opponents and Air Force loves having Army in their conference. The only way they would leave is if Navy started a program and couldn't get a spot in Atlantic Hockey. Although let's be honest if Navy started a team Atlantic Hockey would make room for them for that very reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X