Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future of the ccha????

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Their first season above .500 since 2002 and they think they have a chance at being in the super Conference?

First trip back to the NCAA's since 1996.

They haven't posted a back to back winning season since 01-02.

Their *ing website "Why Western" doesn't even SHOW any photos from a game. And only ONE photo of the *ing hockey team (which is during practice).

And of their "notable" alumni, they pick three guys who I'm pretty sure have never uttered the letters W, M, and U in the same sentence upon leaving Kalamazoo.

They're grasping at straws.
    Originally posted by pinch View Post
    Only 2 teams in the CCHA had fewer league victories last yr
    WMU wants to be with one of the "big boy" groups and is willing to spend the money. All the other schools in the "Superconference" are looking around trying to figure out who is going to end up finishing last. Maybe they view WMU as the answer.
    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

NMU to the WCHA
      http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/201...higan-to-wcha/

Looks like the CCHA is dismantling.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
        NMU to the WCHA
        http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/201...higan-to-wcha/

Looks like the CCHA is dismantling.
        Interesting that Fairbanks is mentioned as the next possible move to the WCHA. That would get the Alaska fans the shared conference affiliation they are looking for and would give the new WCHA at least 7 teams.
        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
          Interesting that Fairbanks is mentioned as the next possible move to the WCHA. That would get the Alaska fans the shared conference affiliation they are looking for and would give the new WCHA at least 7 teams.
          And, seven teams gives a balanced 24 game conference schedule. Including the Alaska exemption, 12 non-conference games can be scheduled. I would assume since both schools would be in the same conference that a flight to Alaska would happen every year.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

If one more CCHA team bolts, I'd say that would make the two-conference solution pretty unlikely.

Comment

And, seven teams gives a balanced 24 game conference schedule. Including the Alaska exemption, 12 non-conference games can be scheduled. I would assume since both schools would be in the same conference that a flight to Alaska would happen every year.
              It would have to, as a balanced schedule would require 2 games @Anchorage and 2 games @Fairbanks. What would make the most sense would be to play both schools on back to back weekends and keep flight costs down by making it 1 trip. Of course, that would require the players to miss nearly 2 weeks of school.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                It would have to, as a balanced schedule would require 2 games @Anchorage and 2 games @Fairbanks. What would make the most sense would be to play both schools on back to back weekends and keep flight costs down by making it 1 trip. Of course, that would require the players to miss nearly 2 weeks of school.
                Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that the NCAA wouldn't allow it.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

You would need to make 2 Alaska trips per year in a seven team conference. If you have eight teams, it's 3 every 2 years. In the two trip years you would have the opportunity to play 38 games.

That being said, and I have a lot of respect for the Duluth writer who has blogged this, but also note, he's put it in his blog, but not in the paper.
                  Last edited by davyd83; 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    You would need to make 2 Alaska trips per year in a seven team conference. If you have eight teams, it's 3 every 2 years. In the two trip years you would have the opportunity to play 38 games.
                    I don't think you can use the exemption twice in one season. 36 max.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      Unless they do something where the first "set" of games is Sat/Sun (Friday departure) and the 2nd "set" is Friday/Sat, so they would miss Friday through Friday, instead of Thurs through Friday. It's only one day, but it's better than also missing that day.
                      HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that the NCAA wouldn't allow it.
                        I think you are correct now that you mention it. I believe it is something about x amount of hours from departure until you have to be back, with exceptions for post season play.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        I don't think you can use the exemption twice in one season. 36 max.
                        Correct. You only get up to two games for the Alaska exemption regardless if you play them twice or ten times.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          If one more CCHA team bolts, I'd say that would make the two-conference solution pretty unlikely.
                          Not quite. UAH needs a home.

So far we have:
                          (Remaining WCHA)
                          Anchorage
                          Bemidji
                          Mankato
                          Michigan Tech
                          St. Cloud
                          Northern Michigan **
                          Alaska? **

(Remaining CCHA)
                          Northern Michigan
                          Lake Superior State
                          Ferris State
                          Western Michigan*
                          Notre Dame*

Bowling Green
                          Alaska
                          UAH **
                          Robert Morris **
                          Niagara **
                          Mercyhurst **

* They're bailing somewhere but won't admit it.
                          ** I've added in UAH (which needs a home) and the three most likely AHA teams that can step up to full scholarships.

If I'm Fred Pletch, I'm on the phone with UAH, Robert Morris, Niagara and Mercyhurst. Six hours ago.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            You would need to make 2 Alaska trips per year in a seven team conference.
                            Crap. Yep. Had the math right, but forgot about the two trips. Was thinking about how CCHA/WCHA does it now every other year to Alaska.

Still, 14 non-conference games is a good slate.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

If I'm Fred Pletch, I'm on the phone with UAH, Robert Morris, Niagara and Mercyhurst. Six hours ago.
                              Fred is probably on vacation right now.

He needs a break after probably interviewing for positions within the Big Ten offices.
                              Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                              Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Originally posted by RMUColonials View Post
                                Unless they do something where the first "set" of games is Sat/Sun (Friday departure) and the 2nd "set" is Friday/Sat, so they would miss Friday through Friday, instead of Thurs through Friday. It's only one day, but it's better than also missing that day.
                                They would miss Thursday-Sunday in that scenario. You travel to Alaska a minimum of two days out.You don't spend 18 hours getting to Fairbanks on Friday and play Saturday night.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X