Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
    I posted something similar, probably in another thread. I could see Notre Dame going independant if they could work out a scheduling agreement either with one or more of the power conferences or with several of the power schools. That would allow them the ability to generate a PWR that would get them a tourny bid but the freedom play who they want.
    Of all the scenario's I find this to be the least likely. Its hard to see fans getting fired up without a conference race, no playoff income, no natural rivalries and it may be hard to get games near the end of the regular season. Plus two bye weeks while everyone is in conference playoffs.

I could see Lucia/Minnesota trying to get them into the Big Ten for hockey only.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      Of all the scenario's I find this to be the least likely. Its hard to see fans getting fired up without a conference race, no playoff income, no natural rivalries and it may be hard to get games near the end of the regular season. Plus two bye weeks while everyone is in conference playoffs.
      There is truth to this, but they make it work pretty well in football. They may feel they can pull off a similar move in hockey. And if they do want try to build hockey numbers off of football rivalries, the indy route may be their best option. If they can get the arrangements made, they could go after games with Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College, Army, and Air Force. These are schools their fans will recognize. Go after additional games against some of the other Catholic schools, maybe teams like Miami and WMU for some nearby, low cost competition, and you are starting to fill out a schedule.

I'm not saying I think they will go independant, just that I could see it as an option they may be considering.
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        I could see Lucia/Minnesota trying to get them into the Big Ten for hockey only.
        Not going to happen. Notre Dame football is the only thing the Big 10 would be interested in. The other sports would just come along for the ride. There is nothing in it for the Big 10 to take any team for hockey only.
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
          I posted something similar, probably in another thread. I could see Notre Dame going independant if they could work out a scheduling agreement either with one or more of the power conferences or with several of the power schools. That would allow them the ability to generate a PWR that would get them a tourny bid but the freedom play who they want.

EDIT: It was post #641 of this thread.
          That would be the post that I quoted. The fact of the matter is that unless they have a scheduling agreement with a conference, it will be nearly impossible to fill the late season schedule with games as other teams are in the meat of their conference schedule as a true independent. The only way that they go "independent" is with a scheduling agreement with the B1G.

Considering that the CCHA playoffs were not a huge moneymaker for the teams, I doubt if not being part of a conference playoff is that big of deal.

The bigger issue will be finding teams to play in those last few weeks of the season, as they don't want to look at going into the NCAAs with a month+ since the last game when other teams were playing a championship caliber team just the week before.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            That would be the post that I quoted.
            Yep, I just didn't recognize it as that post at first since you quoted it partially and cut out the part about the scheduling agreement.
            sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              I think I got to agree with Mav on this. The Gophers are very Minnesota centric. They would see ND as adding nothing to the equation. As a result, I don't think they'd be interested in even putting ND on the schedule...unless it carried over to matchups in other sports.

I could see someone who's a more Big 10 centric viewpoint in hockey scheduling ND...like Michigan or Alvarez.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                At least your time is within 20 minutes of your place...
                Not at 6:30 on a Friday night. It's about 40 minutes best-case. And that's if I head straight from work. I refuse to show up in the middle of the first, at best (remember I still have to park, and then walk to the arena, which adds about 10-20 minutes).

I exercise my right to leave on-time from work (frowned upon if done often enough; office politics) to watch games at home/local watering hole (the latter depends on the series; I represent at Senser's, a SIOUX bar, for that series). The "attending games" argument does not hold water for me.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  I think I got to agree with Mav on this. The Gophers are very Minnesota centric. They would see ND as adding nothing to the equation. As a result, I don't think they'd be interested in even putting ND on the schedule...unless it carried over to matchups in other sports.

I could see someone who's a more Big 10 centric viewpoint in hockey scheduling ND...like Michigan or Alvarez.
                  I assume he's making this claim because Lucia went to Notre Dame...
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Some fratboy who goes to a Gopher hockey game to hit on some chick and find out where the party is at, is a bigger fan than me. I'm not claiming to be an OMGWTeffBBQHOLYSH*T fan, but still.....

That's my point. There are diehard fans that don't/can't go to games for multiple reasons.
                    Multiple reason #3:

"The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                      Multiple reason #3:

And to think, not a one of those guys was dumb enough to pass out in a snowbank without shoes when it was 30 below, and freeze their toes off. Man, UND gets the dumb ones.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        And to think, not a one of those guys was dumb enough to pass out in a snowbank without shoes when it was 30 below, and freeze their toes off. Man, UND gets the dumb ones.
                        He was going for a booty-call. After that video, none of those guys will have such problems.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Mike Sertich on league realignment

http://coolbythelake.com/?p=2679
                          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            Well dumb dumb, Mr. Krisptoes still has his toes and put up more points last season than all four of the guys combined at the :10 mark. Man, UND gets the dumb ones who can score.
                            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                              Well dumb dumb, Mr. Krisptoes still has his toes and put up more points last season than all four of the guys combined at the :10 mark. Man, UND gets the dumb ones who can score.
                              I missed that, all I remember is that he was involved with the sixth in a row massive choke at the FF. It's probably the reason he got so drunk, and took a nap in a snowbank, knowing full well that no matter what, Hakstool would find a way to choke at the end of the season.
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Looks like NBC and Versus might be breaking ground into the college hockey broadcasting market as early as next season. If that is the case, it seems likely the pieces will fall into place for the coveted NCHC TV deal with NBC Sports Group and then the inevitable...the Dame from Notre will follow the money trail.

Comment

Working...
                                X