Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jerryj View Post
    lol at sioux fans trying to convince wcha fans that theyre better off now....

...lol...
    Thank god for the Sue saving us all. Former national champs Bowling Green and Lake State thank UND as well. Keep up the good work guys!

Comment

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Gwoz's comments at ~ 4:55 come off awfully elitist, no? "Other teams in other leagues can compete at THEIR level and move on to the national tournament." (his emphasis, not mine). He might as well have said, "We're gonna compete for National Titles in the NCHC, the WCHA left overs are lucky they're gonna get the opportunity to go to the tourney with the level of hockey they'll be playing."

Honestly, I can't believe that they would include a comment like that in a produced video like this. Off the cuff? That comment doesn't surprise me. After multiple viewings and being scrutinized like I know these things are? Yep, that's surprising.
      Last edited by moose97; 07-16-2011, 10:02 AM.
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
        3) UND's nickname may be a hinderance to scheduling Minnesota and Wisconsin as long as UND remains the Sioux.
        I think all three teams' fans should have sit-ins at their respective AD's offices until scheduling agreements are made.

These are some of the most heated rivalries in all of college hockey, and the idea of not playing each other regularly is idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
          I think all three teams' fans should have sit-ins at their respective AD's offices until scheduling agreements are made.

These are some of the most heated rivalries in all of college hockey, and the idea of not playing each other regularly is idiotic.
          I would love to see the games continue. Probably the easiest way to do it would be as an annual tournament. Pick a neutral site like the X and split the profits or, alternatively, roatate the tourny among the four participating schools home rinks. Bring in UND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Denver. These are pretty much the "Big 4" of the old WCHA. Set it up so the two NCHC teams play the two Big 10 teams, as opposed to winner advances style. This format only takes up two NC games, but all four teams continue to play each other and in most years should get some quality NC competition. It eliminates any need to worry about who plays how often where, the whole 1-1 vs 2-1 etc. issue. Isn't this pretty much what Minnesota and Wisconsin have been doing with Michigan and Michigan State?
          sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            If I'm UAF or LSSU, I'm desperately rooting against Moorhead making the jump while at the same time trying to make my school look better than the other.
            I was thinking the same thing. UAF and Lake St. should be rooting hard against Moorhead. In the next 90 days should be interesting for MSU-Moorhead, WMU, and Notre Dame.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
              As a bulldog fan, I hate these new conferences. But lets look at the positives
              *This is two years away and we have not yet seen the schedules. Six team conferences will leave lots of room for non-conference, so intrastate rivalries may continue.

Depends on if the Big Ten decides to schedule cup cakes. Historically they tend to schedule an easier non conference schedule.

*Most of the teams in the new league will likely benefit from better TV exposure as that seems to be one of the driving forces for splitting off from the WCHA

Better coverage? The Big Ten is getting the only long term national/Canada tv coverage.

*The remaining WCHA/CCHA will have a better chance of getting into the tournament How is one or two teams getting into the tournament a better deal for the left behind?

*Do any of the Alaska schools even lose out at all on this? I can't speak on behalf of Alaskans, but I would imagine the most important issue there is getting those two teams in the same conference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Gophers sellout Sullivan arena.

Minnesota State Moorhead might just have thrown a huge wrench into the UAF or Lake State's WCHA plans.

On the other hand, the Final Five... RIP
              will HAVE to make it to the final two.

This I agree with but lets wait to see how this pans out.
              See above comments.

Comment

If I'm UAF or LSSU, I'm desperately rooting against Moorhead making the jump while at the same time trying to make my school look better than the other.

If I'm BGSU or FSU, I'm working my *** off to try to get at minimum 2 AHA schools to give a serious look at changing conferences. If AHA stays at 12 teams, the CCHA and at least 3 D1 hockey teams are in serious jepoardy.
                There are still a huge number of things that the current CCHA teams have wait out and see what happens. Depending on those happenings, formation of a program at MSU Moorhead could acutally help the CCHA.

We know the Big 10 schools and Miami are gone. Notre Dame has stated they will not stay in the CCHA, and NMU looks to be headed to the WCHA. So taking those schools out, the CCHA has:

Western Michigan
                Ferris State
                Alaska
                Lake Superior
                Bowling Green

That's five schools. We know Western Michigan would like out, but it doesn't look like WMU necessarily controls their own conference destiny right now. Notre Dame is looking at HE and NCHC. If Notre Dame goes to HE, I have a hard time seeing HE also wanting WMU. In that case, WMU might be welcomed into the NCHC to give Miami a short conference trip, or the NCHC might decide to hold at 6 and see if better opportunities come along down the road. What we do know is that despite the fact WMU wants to move on, they were not included in the NCHC news conference. That indicates to me that the NCHC might not be all that hot to trot over WMU.

The Irish could also elect to go to the NCHC. Notre Dame has stated they would like a smaller conference to free up NC games to schedule BC and the Big 10 schools. So if the Irish do decide to go to the NCHC, they may come in with the stipulation that the NCHC remain at 7 teams so they have more NC openings. This would leave WMU out of the NCHC mix, and HE certainly isn't going to pick up just WMU.

WMU could apply to the new WCHA. But if an MSU Moorhead move to DI blocked an Alaska or LSSU move to the WCHA, it could also block a WMU move to the WCHA. Its not like picking up WMU would bring a traditional power to the WCHA, and it would increase travel costs. MSU Moorhead, on the other hand, is a very easy bus ride for most of remaining WCHA teams. Shoot, they could play Friday-Saturday home and home series with BSU, SCSU, and Mankato if they wanted to. I doubt they would, but they are close enough to do it. Picking up Moorhead would put the new WCHA at 7 teams, so they could still decide to raid the CCHA for one more team if they wanted to get to 8. But that might well end up being Fairbanks if UAA pushes the issue, and not WMU.

The bottom line is that a Moorhead move to DI could leave the new CCHA with as many as 5 teams, as opposed to the current thinking of 3. The CCHA could then pick up UAH and not even need one of the AHA teams to move to retain their autobid. If the WCHA decided to move to 8 teams and was successful in getting one of the remaining CCHA schools, UAH could still join and only 1 AHA school would need to be convinced to make the move to retain the CCHA autobid. Of course, much of this also rides with the NCHC and what they do or don't do regarding WMU. But the addition of Moorhead could actually give the CCHA a ray of hope in all of this, because it could take up a WCHA slot and prevent at least one CCHA school from leaving.
                Last edited by ecbrevik; 07-16-2011, 12:42 PM.
                sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                  The five schools that left are the exact same five schools that kept UAA and UAF from being able to maintain their natural rivalry. While all of those five twats have played their rivals 4 times a year UAA and UAF have been forced to use 1/3 of their non-conference schedules to maintain their 30 year rivalry. I won't miss any of them.

I won't miss their constant ****ing whining about being forced to go to on such a long road trip when my team does that exact trip 7 or 8 times a year. And yes ... every ****ing one of them whined about it more than once.

The Alaska teams have had their geography used against them since they both added hockey. They have both been revenue creators for their conferences by subsidizing travel and providing exempt home games at which (for example) UND could make between $250K and $500K. Those exempt games were worth more than the Final Five check to several of these 5 schools.

So the fact that they're ****ing that away in some vain attempt to rebrand themselves is pretty ****ed funny. I can't begin to predict whether these backstabbing tools will get Notre Dame aboard; but I sure can hope that doesn't work out. Nothing would be finer than to see this villany scum be relegated to their own conference of 6 teams for as long as that can possibly be that way.
                  This is major league whining. And perhaps a bit psychotic. Terrible to use the "geography thing" against the Alaska schools, since it came as such a surprise. Look at the upside, now you whiners can start a two team league and play each other 30 times a year. I'm concerned about the changes, too. And I'll miss Michigan Tech. And while I'm certain the few UAA crazies who post here are not reflective of their fans, I won't miss them at all. And that goes double for the orthopedic surgeon.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 07-16-2011, 02:41 PM.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Meh, at this point I'm fine with the Gophers only playing UND in the NCAA Tournament. As long as MN continues a relationship with the other MN schools, I'll be happy.

There are still a huge number of things that the current CCHA teams have wait out and see what happens. Depending on those happenings, formation of a program at MSU Moorhead could acutally help the CCHA.

We know the Big 10 schools and Miami are gone. Notre Dame has stated they will not stay in the CCHA, and NMU looks to be headed to the WCHA. So taking those schools out, the CCHA has:

Western Michigan
                    Ferris State
                    Alaska
                    Lake Superior
                    Bowling Green

That's five schools. We know Western Michigan would like out, but it doesn't look like WMU necessarily controls their own conference destiny right now. Notre Dame is looking at HE and NCHC. If Notre Dame goes to HE, I have a hard time seeing HE also wanting WMU. In that case, WMU might be welcomed into the NCHC to give Miami a short conference trip, or the NCHC might decide to hold at 6 and see if better opportunities come along down the road. What we do know is that despite the fact WMU wants to move on, they were not included in the NCHC news conference. That indicates to me that the NCHC might not be all that hot to trot over WMU.
                    Man, we all know ND isn't going to Hockey East. It sounds good from the Irish end of things, but Hockey East has no incentive to add an 11th team outside of their region, no matter who that team is.
                    The bottom line is that a Moorhead move to DI could leave the new CCHA with as many as 5 teams, as opposed to the current thinking of 3. The CCHA could then pick up UAH and not even need one of the AHA teams to move to retain their autobid. If the WCHA decided to move to 8 teams and was successful in getting one of the remaining CCHA schools, UAH could still join and only 1 AHA school would need to be convinced to make the move to retain the CCHA autobid. Of course, much of this also rides with the NCHC and what they do or don't do regarding WMU. But the addition of Moorhead could actually give the CCHA a ray of hope in all of this, because it could take up a WCHA slot and prevent at least one CCHA school from leaving.
                    That's BEST CASE scenario for FSU, BGSU, and whoever would be left out of the WCHA between LSSU and UAF. Certainly, Western isn't a lock to move to the NCHC. But hell, maybe the NCHC would be interested in taking on UAF for the exemption, so long as UAF paid travel costs. That just puts Western in the position of either LSSU or UAF, and doesn't change the situation for the league.

Really, that's beside the point. A 6 team CCHA, no matter how you draw up those 6 teams, is on very shaky ground. They would be at serious risk of repeating CHA history.

Comment

Meh, at this point I'm fine with the Gophers only playing UND in the NCAA Tournament.
                      They've been one of MN's top two rivals for decades, and the two have played each other over 200 times. If you don't notice the difference in intensity level against UND as opposed to basically every other team on the schedule, you're blind, and if you honestly won't miss that if it disappears altogether, you're not really a Gopher fan in my view.

Comment

They've been one of MN's top two rivals for decades, and the two have played each other over 200 times. If you don't notice the difference in intensity level against UND as opposed to basically every other team on the schedule, you're blind, and if you honestly won't miss that if it disappears altogether, you're not really a Gopher fan in my view.
                        You are right about how intense it has been, but things change. Just the fact they will be in different conferences will diminish the rivalry. When you are not battling for positions I just don't think it be anywhere near intense. An example for me is the Blackhawks. I used to go to games at Met Center and felt the absolute hatred for them. I know with the Wild and North Stars are different teams but I don't have the same hatred for the Hawks. Sadly it just won't be the same.

Comment

Try telling anyone who knows me that I'm not a Gopher hockey fan. You'll get laughed out of the room.
                          Try convincing them of that after 5 years of trying to get me out during the winter, only to have me tell them I can't because the Gophers are playing.
                          Try telling that to the folks around Section 11 who have seen me at the first game of every single Gopher series for the past 4 years straight. And the folks around the railing by the band who have seen me at the second game of every single Gopher series for the past 4 years straight.
                          Try telling that to my family and friends who have seen me literally break the bank just so I can get in the building and hear that rouser.
                          You don't have a ****ing clue.

Ya know who's fandom I question? Those who sit and criticize and bemoan the atmosphere at Mariucci and never even show up to a game.

Like I said, at this point and with everything that has gone down, I'm happy to maintain a relationship with the MN schools. Considering the past few months, I'll take series against SCSU, MSU and BSU over a series against UND.

At this point, **** UND.
                          And if you want to keep hurling those kind of accusations at me, **** you too.

Sorry to those who came into this thread just for some hockey talk.

Comment

The UND vs MN rivalry will be great until Minnesota leaves for the Big Ten. As time goes on the rivalry will wane and it will never be the same ever again. IMO, the rivalry will be like how Michigan and Michigan State is right now before the Big Ten starts up. It will be fair but never great! How will we know? The trolling in each others threads will be almost non-existent. This reminds me of how the North Stars and Blackhawks were, I hated them! Now I am a Wild fan and I even rooted for them to win a Stanley Cup. I guarantee that never would have happened twenty plus years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
                              lol at sioux fans trying to convince wcha fans that theyre better off now....

...lol...
                              Well, at least the left behind WCHA teams ain't Ferris!

That is a fair point about the Dragons there. They do provide an easy to bus to opponent in a good market that really hasn't been tapped much, and well, somebody's gotta finish last in the conference. They get that endowment like they want and that puts Moorhead in front of LSSU I would think in most of the remaining league's eyes.

I wonder just how many offers Notre Dame is getting right now. Personally one of their best offers might be coming from the remaining CCHA teams themselves because of their total lack of any bargaining power right now. The NCHA might be trumping the idea of a TV deal, but I'm not so sure I really see good money from that proposal. And then while Norte Dame will still have a lout of clout within the NCHA, they are going to often butt heads with Denver, UND, and UNO a lot. Those schools are going to want to have the conference tournament that's not going to be near Chicago a lot, unless the crowd there promised to be selling out the United Center even when the Irish are a bit down. All the CCHA schools really have to offer the Irish is just about total control of the league, along with all of the good PR they would get for being the savors of small hockey schools in the West.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Try telling anyone who knows me that I'm not a Gopher hockey fan. You'll get laughed out of the room.
                                Try convincing them of that after 5 years of trying to get me out during the winter, only to have me tell them I can't because the Gophers are playing.
                                Try telling that to the folks around Section 11 who have seen me at the first game of every single Gopher series for the past 4 years straight. And the folks around the railing by the band who have seen me at the second game of every single Gopher series for the past 4 years straight.
                                Try telling that to my family and friends who have seen me literally break the bank just so I can get in the building and hear that rouser.
                                You don't have a ****ing clue.

Ya know who's fandom I question? Those who sit and criticize and bemoan the atmosphere at Mariucci and never even show up to a game.

Like I said, at this point and with everything that has gone down, I'm happy to maintain a relationship with the MN schools. Considering the past few months, I'll take series against SCSU, MSU and BSU over a series against UND.

At this point, **** UND.
                                And if you want to keep hurling those kind of accusations at me, **** you too.

Sorry to those who came into this thread just for some hockey talk.
                                You don't know Bakunin (aka The Commie). I do. I don't care what the situation is, F* UND. I hate them more than WI. I've sat through many a game with The Commie against UND, whether at the game, online, at a bar, whatever. Don't bring me this BS about attending a game: so, because you attend in person that makes you more of a fan? Kiss my rosie red arse.

And I've attended games at the Mecca in the past few years. I've cheered, and then have gotten warned about making noise. Well, if I paid my money, I'd rather not see myself kicked out.

So run back to your hoity-toity nose-up attitude. I'll sit here with the fans that bleed maroon and gold in the poor seats. And pride myself on it.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X