Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    UAA is already flying everywhere, so they really have no motivation to prefer games against the NCHC.

Bemidji I'm sure would like to continue to schedule UMD and UND. But I'd wager their relationship with CC/DU/UNO will end come 2013.

St. Cloud/MSU? My guess is they will need even return trips to consider playing UND and UMD. *MAYBE* they could be talked in to a 2-1 with UND due to it's large gate revenue, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that isn't enough for them. Mankato might still be interested in UNO due to their history of NC games, but CC/DU won't even be on the radar for either SCSU or MSU.

I'm sure Tech would like to maintain a relationship with UMD considering how close they are. But it's hard to imagine they would take a deal that puts those games in Duluth more often than not. So will Duluth be willing to do an even trade in where those series are played? Tech has a few more options for NC games given the other MI schools. And honestly, after everything that has gone down, I think Tech will be much more inclined to schedule with MN or WI than with UND. Again, hard to imagine any further relationship with CC/DU/UNO.

As far as the NCHC and the Big10....the more I think about it, the more it seems that games between the two conferences will be few and far between; even those games that pit longstanding rivals against each other. Just from a MN perspective, I think the Gophers are likely to commit a significant number of NC games to play other MN schools. And after that is all said and done, I think they will be inclined to ship in some lesser competition for added home games. I'd think UW and UofMI would have a similar philosophy.
    Agreed. I was speaking more from a UND perspective. Depending on how many teams end up in each conference and how each decides to do scheduling, there could be a lot of non-con games to fill. I do hope we keep playing WCHA teams as well B1G and eastern teams.

I don't forsee UND having difficulty finding non-conference opponents, either way.
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
      *except for my mortal enemy Morris Kurtz.
      Finally, something you have in common with every SCSU fan. Most people buy an Arctic Cat jacket for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        UAA is already flying everywhere, so they really have no motivation to prefer games against the NCHC.

Bemidji I'm sure would like to continue to schedule UMD and UND. But I'd wager their relationship with CC/DU/UNO will end come 2013.

St. Cloud/MSU? My guess is they will need even return trips to consider playing UND and UMD. *MAYBE* they could be talked in to a 2-1 with UND due to it's large gate revenue, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that isn't enough for them. Mankato might still be interested in UNO due to their history of NC games, but CC/DU won't even be on the radar for either SCSU or MSU.

I'm sure Tech would like to maintain a relationship with UMD considering how close they are. But it's hard to imagine they would take a deal that puts those games in Duluth more often than not. So will Duluth be willing to do an even trade in where those series are played? Tech has a few more options for NC games given the other MI schools. And honestly, after everything that has gone down, I think Tech will be much more inclined to schedule with MN or WI than with UND. Again, hard to imagine any further relationship with CC/DU/UNO.

As far as the NCHC and the Big10....the more I think about it, the more it seems that games between the two conferences will be few and far between; even those games that pit longstanding rivals against each other. Just from a MN perspective, I think the Gophers are likely to commit a significant number of NC games to play other MN schools. And after that is all said and done, I think they will be inclined to ship in some lesser competition for added home games. I'd think UW and UofMI would have a similar philosophy.
        That is what I have been saying.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          I can buy some butt hurt regarding non-conference schedling for a few years, but do you think AD's hold grudges as long as fans do? Don't they have to be professional and see is what is best for their program?

Plus I expect the NCHC to play non-con games against the B16
          I don't. The Big Ten will schedule cup cakes so they can make even more money. The days of seeing UND, DU, CC etc are over. The rivalry is dead!!! Sad but true.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Dude, I don't think anyone is suggesting that UMD will be demanding 2 for 1s. UND, yeah. UMD, no. It'll be even scheduling.
            Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            Agreed. I was speaking more from a UND perspective. Depending on how many teams end up in each conference and how each decides to do scheduling, there could be a lot of non-con games to fill. I do hope we keep playing WCHA teams as well B1G and eastern teams.

I don't forsee UND having difficulty finding non-conference opponents, either way.
            I was responding to the idea that the NCHC will be playing a number of series with the WCHA, and even scheduling with the Big 10.

So to sum up my other post, it seems to me that UMD will still be playing series against the new WCHA (BSU, Tech, SCSU and maybe MSU). UND is going to have a much harder time getting those series (BSU, *maybe* SCSU and MSU). And DU/CC/UNO won't get any of them on their schedules.

I don't think we will see much of any play between the NCHC and the Big 10.

At any rate, UND won't have any trouble filling their NC schedule. I just don't think it will be filled with Big 10 or WCHA teams.

I

Comment

I don't see SCSU playing UND.
              Nickname issues being part of it.
              I wouldn't be surprised to see SCSU adopt the same policy UMN & UW have on Native American nickname teams and not play them if they still have the name.
              I do see the 5 MN schools continuing to play each other, but outside of that, it's a crapshoot.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                UMD will get the benefit of the doubt cause they bring huge intangibles...the city of Duluth and the primary hockey school in the north half of Minnesota. And with those assets, I don't think you can ever write the program off.
                Who said anything about writing them off?

All that was said was that without the new arena and National Championship, they wouldn't have been invited. You said it was a no-brainer. That is idiotic. Before last year, UMD had finished in 4th or better in the WCHA only twice in 10 years. Not saying it is a bad program, but its far from a premier one.

They have had the same "assets" for the 45 years they have been in the WCHA. If they were going to become an annual powerhouse it would have happened by now.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

By the time this conference gets rolling, the SCSU rink will have been remodeled to the tune of $30M. It'll become a $75M facility with the ugrades. It will not be difficult to schedule NC games. Being 70 miles from Mpls, the Gophers will be more than happy to make the short trip.
                  "Zero Manipulation"

Comment

Originally posted by Montelena View Post
                    By the time this conference gets rolling, the SCSU rink will have been remodeled to the tune of $30M. It'll become a $75M facility with the ugrades. It will not be difficult to schedule NC games. Being 70 miles from Mpls, the Gophers will be more than happy to make the short trip.
                    http://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-conte...-wait-what.jpg
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Montelena View Post
                      Hey, I'd be all for the Gophers playing a series at the NHC every year. But I think it is highly unlikely that MN will commit 2 NC games a season to play away at SCSU, regardless of what kind of facilities and upgrades they boast.

I really think the best SCSU can hope for in regards to a scheduling agreement with MN is the 2-1 deal I outlined before.

Maybe I'm wrong. If so, that would be just fine by me. But I don't think I am.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Remember, this is the school that would have said no if they were invited to the new party, but weren't, so it didn't matter. But wait, they have banners!!!
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                          Who said anything about writing them off?

All that was said was that without the new arena and National Championship, they wouldn't have been invited. You said it was a no-brainer. That is idiotic. Before last year, UMD had finished in 4th or better in the WCHA only twice in 10 years. Not saying it is a bad program, but its far from a premier one.

They have had the same "assets" for the 45 years they have been in the WCHA. If they were going to become an annual powerhouse it would have happened by now.
                          I said they should be a no brainer if the National participants had any eye for strategy.

Again, this is not primarily about UMD's win/loss as you keep positioning it. This is about having a satisfactory win/loss...and being essentially the number two school in the U of Minnesota system...with its campus in the largest city in hockey crazy northern Minnesota. To be clear, if UMD bats .500 in the conference...they will be playing their part by bringing northern Minnesota to the party.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

ADs of BSU, MTU, SCSU, and MSUM are going to play UMD still. When they look at a flight out east + zero visiting fanbase when the eastern team comes out the next year vs. bus trip to Duluth + Duluth fans coming to their rinks during the return trip, there's no question what the smart decision is.
                            Exactly. It's all about money and UND and UMD will be playing BSU/SCSU/Mankato because it puts visiting (and home) team fans in the seats. Bemidji's AD is already on record saying they are close to a scheduling agreement with UND and UMD (both programs which have always played BSU - including in Bemidji).
                            tUMD

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              I said they should be a no brainer if the National participants had any eye for strategy.

Again, this is not primarily about UMD's win/loss as you keep positioning it. This is about having a satisfactory win/loss...and being essentially the number two school in the U of Minnesota system...with its campus in the largest city in hockey crazy northern Minnesota. To be clear, if UMD bats .500 in the conference...they will be playing their part by bringing northern Minnesota to the party.
                              You're insane.

Northern Minnesota is a tiny market and Bemidji is going to take a decent portion of that. In a supposed "national hockey conference" a percentage of northern Minnesota doesn't mean squat.

UMD isn't going to bat .500 in this new conference. They have signed up to be the doormat.
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

No matter how yoy slice, one team will always come in last place.

Comment

Working...
                                X