PDA

View Full Version : First official thread of Nazareth hockey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

joecct
07-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Well, looks like they have a coach, according to an INCH tweet:

George Roll will be announced later this week as first head coach at Nazareth, a start-up D-3 program near Rochester, NY.

MountieBoyOz
07-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Congrats to one of the nicer guys in college hockey landing on his feet. I bet you anything if Oz plays them that he will/should get a warm reception because he did help lay the groundwork for the Lakers. I hope our fans are smart enough to realize that.

Then we can proceed to beat him 4-1. :D

UNHHurstFan
07-05-2011, 09:33 PM
"George Roll will be announced later this week as first head coach at Nazareth, a start-up D-3 program near Rochester, NY."

That is a great move for a new program. This should give them instant credibility from a recruiting standpoint.

Impressive first step

joecct
07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Congrats to one of the nicer guys in college hockey landing on his feet. I bet you anything if Oz plays them that he will/should get a warm reception because he did help lay the groundwork for the Lakers. I hope our fans are smart enough to realize that.

Then we can proceed to beat him 4-1. :DBut will he get some of Oswego's D-I transfers?? :D

PrezdeJohnson09
07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
excellent hire for Nazareth.

FirstLadyJohnson10
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I can say they'll have a pretty good fan in their stands too :)

MountieBoyOz
07-05-2011, 11:14 PM
But will he get some of Oswego's D-I transfers?? :D

Two posts into a non-Oswego thread before the transfer joke comes into play? Must be some kind of record.

norm1909
07-06-2011, 05:57 AM
Two posts into a non-Oswego thread before the transfer joke comes into play? Must be some kind of record.

:confused: Transfer Joke?? Aside from Potter, I've not found their transfers a joke ;)

PrezdeJohnson09
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
I can say they'll have a pretty good fan in their stands too :)

Remember they don't start until 2012-2013 :)

and you better remember Elmira comes first or no more hot ciders for you from the booster club lounge at the Domes :p

joecct
07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I think that Nazareth needs to look at LVC as how NOT to go about recruiting. George has a good knowledge of the CJHL (or whatever it's name is now) and the OPJHL. If he can throw in a local kid or two from the EJHL team in Rochester, he may have a decent (but very young) team to start.

There will be some growing pains, no doubt, until he gets a full 4 years of recruiting. Hopefully not 24 - 0 growing pains, but there will be painful, even ugly, losses. I'm not sure what kind of travel budget he'll have, but if Nazareth wins 5 games in year one, especially playing conference games in the ECAC-W, George (and the players) will deserve major kudos.

Next up on the expansion rumor board - Stevenson College (Baltimore) (which would give the ECAC-W the magic 7 and cut Pool C down to 2).

PrezdeJohnson09
07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I think that Nazareth needs to look at LVC as how NOT to go about recruiting. George has a good knowledge of the CJHL (or whatever it's name is now) and the OPJHL. If he can throw in a local kid or two from the EJHL team in Rochester, he may have a decent (but very young) team to start.

There will be some growing pains, no doubt, until he gets a full 4 years of recruiting. Hopefully not 24 - 0 growing pains, but there will be painful, even ugly, losses. I'm not sure what kind of travel budget he'll have, but if Nazareth wins 5 games in year one, especially playing conference games in the ECAC-W, George (and the players) will deserve major kudos.

Next up on the expansion rumor board - Stevenson College (Baltimore) (which would give the ECAC-W the magic 7 and cut Pool C down to 2).

They are now exploring men's hockey? Thought it was only women's.

joecct
07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
They are now exploring men's hockey? Thought it was only women's.
Women are a go next season. Then build a rink and the mens team is assumed (rumored) for the 14-15 or 15-16 season.

But by then Naz will be up and running.

PrezdeJohnson09
07-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Women are a go next season. Then build a rink and the mens team is assumed (rumored) for the 14-15 or 15-16 season.

But by then Naz will be up and running.

They find a coach yet? lol.

DH003325
07-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Nazareth has a very good athletic program, and with Roll coaching, I would expect them to be good quickly.

MountieBoyOz
07-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Nazareth has a very good athletic program, and with Roll coaching, I would expect them to be good quickly.

I totally agree. Naz seems to know what they are doing and I think they can contend in 3-5 years.

FirstLadyJohnson10
07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Remember they don't start until 2012-2013 :)

and you better remember Elmira comes first or no more hot ciders for you from the booster club lounge at the Domes :p

Can't I root for multiple teams? Spread the wealth if you will?

And when was the last time I got a hot cider Mr. President???

PrezdeJohnson09
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Can't I root for multiple teams? Spread the wealth if you will?

And when was the last time I got a hot cider Mr. President???

I was a little tied up in Northfield, Vt. this past season to make it to the Domes...

First time in almost 20 years I didn't see a men's hockey game at the Domes... :(

mar7967
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
George Roll is official: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110706/SPORTS/110706021/Nazareth-hire-former-Clarkson-hockey-coach?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

Henry
07-06-2011, 05:46 PM
That's a good hire. He found players from everywhere while at Oswego. He'll have a good mix up there. Good luck to him.:D

norm1909
07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
That's a good hire...

They are on a Roll now :p