This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of leagues as we know?

This confirms what I had heard a week ago...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/208516

MIGHT get UAH a league...but MIGHT destroy the WCHA and CCHA. Not sure I like a league filled with the "leftovers".

Re: The end of leagues as we know?

This has been my biggest fear. The "leftover league" would most likely be the death of hockey at some of the leftover schools. Shane Fredrick of the Mankato Free Press is reporting the same thing. http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogsp...e-know-it.html
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Not sure I like this in terms of what it means for the rest of the college hockey world. Might make sense for UND and some of the schools that get invited, but it would be fairly ruinous for a whole slew of schools that have no chance of being a part of such a league. It would almost certainly send the rest of the power teams scrambling to join up, leaving smaller schools in the lurch. The line of distinction between the haves and the have nots becomes a lot wider.

To some extent, we were already at risk of this with the Big Ten alone, but sometimes you've got to take that risk in order to grow the sport (i.e. Penn State's new team). That's going to make life difficult for the CCHA anyway, but there are steps they could take to make the CCHA solvent. Something like this would blow up both the WCHA and the CCHA. Why? UND ought to consider some of the greater ramifications of such a move before they pull the trigger on this.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

This is just following the trend of the rest of D-I sports. Most have clear cut dividing lines among the majors, mid-majors and participants.

We've had this for a bit in hockey and within the conferences themselves. But what it looks like is that all the majors (haves) want to gather themselves in one conference. That will REALLY further the class lines and the media money will further skew the differences.

Funny, though, how nobody is talking about realignment in the East. There are only 2 BCS schools here and at UConn football is probably #3 behind the hoops teams.

Also the BTHC will have immense power over college hockey being the only multisport conference in hockey land. Does the Ivy Group split off from the ECAC to provide a balance? Does the Liberty League (albeit a D-III conference) try to do the same?

The next 12 months are going to be very interesting.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The thing is, I don't blame a school like North Dakota for going out and looking for its best option. It has to. Even in an agreement to be a part of an association (The NCAA), each entity has to go out and make sure that it is in the best (i.e. most profitable, most competitive) situation it can find. Some schools have more power at the table, and that is something that has been earned with time and investment into the program and facilities. It seems to me that they have no obligation to "the betterment of college hockey as a whole" if other schools are already jostling to make the most out of an opportunity (the Big Ten).

It does sadden me, though, to think about the ramifications for some of the smaller schools. I grew up on Northern Michigan hockey, and I bleed black and gold from my many years studying at Michigan Tech. I can honestly see this being a death blow for a school like Lake State.

I don't have the answers for the schools that might be on the outside looking in, other than to make powerful friends and work overtime. There should be little sleep in the athletic offices at schools like MTU in the next few months. Find a way to sell yourself as a program that can compete (yes, I said that with a straight face), prepare for every contingency. It isn't up to college hockey and the NCAA to save everybody that participates, it is up to each individual school to find situations in which they can remain viable.
          Philbert
          ---------------
          Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
          GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

I wonder if the day has come to form a bonafide NCAA D-2 league? Of course the smaller and have not schools would currently not be in favor of such an idea but you can only run from reality for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
              I wonder if the day has come to form a bonafide NCAA D-2 league? Of course the smaller and have not schools would currently not be in favor of such an idea but you can only run from reality for so long.
              For that to happen the NCAA would have to make allot of changes. Basically unwinding the last 25 years of regulations.

Comment

I am confused and not sure who to believe...

1. "I'm leaving politics to spend more time with my family" says the Congressman, who is currently embroiled in a sex scandal.

2. "I crashed because I swerved to miss a dog", and I have never seen that hooker and blow before. "Isn't that right Trixie?"

3. "We have to be careful. We want to try to do things the right way. We don’t want to be part of breaking up the CCHA”, says the Commissioner who was given the OK by WCHA member schools to seek out potential new members at their annual hockey meetings in April, and keeps in touch with Notre Dame weekly. But is treading lightly...

4. None of the above.

Things are changing and you can't blame any School, Conference, or Hooker for looking out for their best interest. But give us a break. At least with Trixie, you have asked to have smoke blown up you’re a**.
                Last edited by mmf; 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                  I wonder if the day has come to form a bonafide NCAA D-2 league?
                  No. You can go fail on your own.

edit: I find the people wanting to resurrect D-2 hockey... not so much interesting but infuriating. No, it doesn't do much of any of us any good. How much attention are your other D-2 sports getting?
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Follow the money. If teams think they can make more money joining the Super League they will. I think it would be more diffucult for a Miami or any Hockey East team to make money by joining up with some of the WCHA powers due to travel costs. Not to mention

The thing with "Super Leagues" is that there will be a change in how those teams are percieved after a few years. Even in a Super League there will be haves and have-nots. By joining that league, you risk being one of the have nots. If no deliniation is created, then the balance will make it more difficult for a Super League team to get the great records to make things easier in the NCAA.

If you are NOT in the Super League - now you have a better chance to have wining seasons and make the NCAA tournament. If you are NMU, LSSU, FSU, or BGSU - losing the B10, Miami, and Notre Dame from your conference makes it that much easier to have winning records. Winning records will draw more people, which helps offset your losses of those teams from the schedule. I'm not saying this is ideal, but it is one of the benefits.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

This is great for Minnesota and Wisconsin now they don't have to waste their time playing non conference games against the new proposed super league. ie. football and basketball non-conference money making schedule.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Making revenue (money) the primary consideration for establishing college hockey leagues will accelerate Darwinian selection of the haves and have nots and will increase competition with major junior hockey, unless an alliance is formed. Leagues determined by revenue will also result in more and more lavish scholarships, and perhaps lower academic guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                          Making revenue (money) the primary consideration for establishing college hockey leagues will accelerate Darwinian selection of the haves and have nots and will increase competition with major junior hockey, unless an alliance is formed. Leagues determined by revenue will also result in more and more lavish scholarships, and perhaps lower academic guidelines.
                          Not in the Big Ten.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Farmington Hills, Michigan-

"Mr. Platsch, there's a reporter on the line wanting to know what you think about your league imploding?"

"Take a message. I'm just an empty suit until I'm the Big Ten Communications Director for hockey in 2014."
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                              So less teams means more revenue? NCAA B-ball more and more teams. Football more and more teams even though it is the costliest of sports to compete in. A tide that raises all the boats is what wins. Darwin was only partially correct.

The B1G formed so big deal they still have to play others and there is no reason to let them dictate.

Comment

Working...
                              X