Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    The textbook definition of a kick in the balls.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/08/...al_distri.html
    Well, if its any small comfort to ya, I would think than none of the UA-Tuscaloosa crowd would be all that thrilled to see UA-Huntsville add a football team. Perhaps they might put their heads together and decide that keeping hockey in Huntsville keeps football away.

Just my 2 cents about it.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
      Well, if its any small comfort to ya, I would think than none of the UA-Tuscaloosa crowd would be all that thrilled to see UA-Huntsville add a football team. Perhaps they might put their heads together and decide that keeping hockey in Huntsville keeps football away.

Just my 2 cents about it.
      I'm as big of an Alabama-Crimson Tide fan as there is, but if UAH added D-I football, the boys in Tuscaloosa would simply opt to ignore them they way they do UAB and Troy and refuse to play them. They won't play any in state school but Auburn.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        I'm as big of an Alabama-Crimson Tide fan as there is, but if UAH added D-I football, the boys in Tuscaloosa would simply opt to ignore them they way they do UAB and Troy and refuse to play them. They won't play any in state school but Auburn.
        True, but the arguement usually tends to be that more local schools might swipe kids who might end up being a decent roll player their senior year if there's another school out there where they might actually get some playing time. That seemed to be why Trev Alberts got UNO to drop football, because Lincoln doesn't really like having UNO around offering partial scholarships to kids they would offer their Blackshirt and preferred walk-on status. North Alabama is going to be moving up to D1 soon, and I would think that the powers that be for the Tide Program would like a little less competition than what they already have for kids. Would UAH football ever be a true challenge to them getting a kid they really want? Most likely not, as they're probably fighting with the other SEC schools about who's going to pay him the most to go to their school. But if they have a kid who could really just use a year or two of growing up in a weight room and training table to were he could be a very serviceable depth and character guy in the locker room for Alabama, they might just lose him to them when the coach at UAH tells him that NFL scouts don't watch the bench at Alabama, and that he would be starting his freshman year for the Chargers. Then he just might rattle off a list of names of D2 guys that did make it to the NFL from D2. Top of that list would be Danny Woodhead. Woodhead pretty much just needed the walk-on offer from Nebraska to play there, where he would have likely been buried on the depth chart there, or switched positions. Luckily for him, he came up at a time when the Blackshirt program at Nebraska was being ripped up, and he didn't get it. Instead, Danny went to little Chadron State, and ended up being a star there, winning the Harlon Hill trophy twice there, and setting a lot of rushing records there with the Eagles. Then he went on and made it to the NFL. You can't tell me that there's not one coach at Alabama there that would tell ya they would want football at Huntville if it meant that the next Danny Woodhead ended up going there.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

but if UAH added D-I football,
          They can't do that without moving the entire program to D-I.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
            They can't do that without moving the entire program to D-I.
            That I am well aware of...
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I would be shocked if UAH ever adds football. D2 football would be as much of a money pit as D1 ice hockey.
              UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
              2006 Time Person of the Year
              Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
              It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                I would be shocked if UAH ever adds football. D2 football would be as much of a money pit as D1 ice hockey.
                Chances that UAH adds football are probably lower than those of UA-Tuscaloosa elevating hockey to varsity status. Although if that ever happened, I bet the CCHA would come running in a heartbeat!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                  True, but I would wager that whats left of the GSC would love to see football at UAH. Hell, some of them are just happy that the U of Memphis bought out Lambouth who was going to fold up shop after it was rumored that they were looking at going D2 and the GSC.

It just happens.

Comment

Football thread?
                    "My greatest achievement."
                    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

• Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                      Football thread?
                      It's the off season.
                      Threads take funny turns in the off season when we don't have a whole lot of actual hockey to talk about.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        It's the off season.
                        Threads take funny turns in the off season when we don't have a whole lot of actual hockey to talk about.
                        True that. I guess until new developments with a conference. There really isn't much to talk about. I hate seeing fans in dire straits. Loosing a nickname isn't like loosing a program, but sucks none the less.

Comment

Let's speculate on where the money for this is going to come from.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...edeman_to.html

"There are two reasons why the university felt like it was important for those numbers to be identical," (Brophy) said. "No. 1, you have our highest profile male coach and our highest profile female coach. No. 2, not only are they the most high profile, they're the most successful male and female coach. They're both institutions in this town. I'm glad they're on our team."
                          I guess Lou knows where he stands...
                          UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                          2006 Time Person of the Year
                          Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                          It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Can I just say that this entire thread is massively depressing? Seriously. I can't say that what I'm seeing out of our new athletic director is filling me with much confidence in the future of the program. We're to the point of having a hard time getting excited for the next season, it's not helping that we're going to have to forgo getting our normal season tickets since we moved states, but still, this is just not what we need to hear. Someone at UAH needs to get some positive news out there for us to consume for a bit. The last post on the home page was on June 22nd and then... nothing.

As for the money thing? UAH dropping hockey for lack of funding while giving raises to other coaches (no matter how well deserved) just tastes bad. I'd have the same problem if we cut a tennis team citing funds and then gave Lou a raise. I almost feel like we're being blackmailed into funding hockey at this point because the powers that be really don't want to realize what a special thing they have, nor do they seem to want to recapture what it was. A couple of down years and a bad run of conference luck and we're talking about crash and burn. Way to let down 30 years of history, and frankly the most storied history you've got.

So yeah, I'm just not happy...and the annual check hasn't been cut yet.

Comment

Chances that UAH adds football are probably lower than those of UA-Tuscaloosa elevating hockey to varsity status. Although if that ever happened, I bet the CCHA would come running in a heartbeat!
                              Quickly followed by some yammerhead wailing about forming a SECHC.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

North Dakota is a small school, but Hockey is the last sport that will be cut. It's the money maker.

Comment

Working...
                                X