Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
    The good news is that there are some very dedicated people with a fair amount of influence who are working hard and who have garnered the support of city, county, state, and "monied" interested/concerned parties. It's safe to say that any possible "negative" decisions at UAH will not be made without at least some "negative" consequences for those making them.
    Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I was heartened by the email from Nathan Bowen this morning that mentions all of these things. There's a lot of movement below the surface. After a few days of being pessimistic, I'm back to optimistic.

GFM
    Lipstick meet pig.

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
    I hate to say it, but with the CCHA-WCHA merger appearing imminent, I think the fat lady is starting to sing.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    No, but she's got a glass of warm water in front of her and is doing vocal practices.
    There is still time for something or someone to step up and do something that is in the best interest of college hockey but from my vantage point it looks as if the final nails to the coffin have been selected. Sorry UAH.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      Make that 5 WCHA and 6 CCHA:

WCHA:
      UAA
      BSU
      MTU
      MSU
      SCSU

CCHA:
      UAF
      BGSU
      FSU
      LSSU
      NMU
      WMU

I think the question now becomes where Notre Dame ends up and will WMU follow them. If Notre Dame ends up in the NCHC, I'd bet WMU follows. If they go east, WMU will join the WCHA. IMHO, if the WCHA becomes an 11 team league (with WMU), there's a chance UAH could be a 12th, but man, travel is going to suck as is (2 trips to Alaska and some of the longer bus trips will end up ~12-13 hours), not to mention adding a trip to UAH. Plus, it still is a possibility that Moorhead adds hockey, so they would be a much better potential 12th member (travel wise) than UAH.
      I think that 12th spot will be held open until Minnesota-Moorhead makes a decision.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
        There is still time for something or someone to step up and do something that is in the best interest of college hockey but from my vantage point it looks as if the final nails to the coffin have been selected. Sorry UAH.
        The best for what remains of college hockey in the aftermath of the B1G Mistake and NCHC is happening. The WCHA and CCHA are banding together to protect themselves because apparently the meeting with the 4 AHA schools did not go very well. This should put the new look WCHA as a whole on good footing, sadly a spot for Alabama-Huntsville has not materialized out of this. I am saddened by this and disappointed in the CCHA/WCHA merger. This merger should help protect schools like LSSU, FSU and BGSU (if they accept) from folding, while leaving UAH most likely screwed
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          The best for what remains of college hockey in the aftermath of the B1G Mistake and NCHC is happening. The WCHA and CCHA are banding together to protect themselves because apparently the meeting with the 4 AHA schools did not go very well. This should put the new look WCHA as a whole on good footing, sadly a spot for Alabama-Huntsville has not materialized out of this. I am saddened by this and disappointed in the CCHA/WCHA merger. This merger should help protect schools like LSSU, FSU and BGSU (if they accept) from folding, while leaving UAH most likely screwed
          a lot can still happen. as of now FSU just took the offer so the league is up to 9 teams. If notre dame would jsut decide things would be done real quick. I would love to see them go to hockey east and western and BGSU go to the new conference. That way the WCHA could take UAH and things would actually work out for all the programs........
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
            a lot can still happen. as of now FSU just took the offer so the league is up to 9 teams. If notre dame would jsut decide things would be done real quick. I would love to see them go to hockey east and western and BGSU go to the new conference. That way the WCHA could take UAH and things would actually work out for all the programs........
            yeah...not seeing it...UND, DU, CC, UNO, UMD didn't trade SCSU, MTU, UAA, MSUM, BSU for Miami, BGSU and WMU.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

yeah...not seeing it...UND, DU, CC, UNO, UMD didn't trade SCSU, MTU, UAA, MSUM, BSU for Miami, BGSU and WMU.
              It all comes down to if they want 6 or 8 teams in the league. If they want 8 teams BGSU and Western fit their "like school" conference since they are all D1 as well.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Aww come on, people from the MAC are jolly good folk. Who wouldn't want us? Well, BG students are kinda sketch - but that is besides the point

It all comes down to if they want 6 or 8 teams in the league. If they want 8 teams BGSU and Western fit their "like school" conference since they are all D1 as well.
                They want 8, ND wants 7.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  I think that 12th spot will be held open until Minnesota-Moorhead makes a decision.
                  Talk about the ultimate kick in the nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Maybe. they are suppose to have answer this fall, so even if that is true I don't think they are going D1.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                      Aww come on, people from the MAC are jolly good folk. Who wouldn't want us? Well, BG students are kinda sketch - but that is besides the point

They want 8, ND wants 7.
                      then ND can go to hockey east.....

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Maybe. they are suppose to have answer this fall, so even if that is true I don't think they are going D1.
                        They are raising endowments to fund a D-I hockey program at Moorhead. They announced it in a press conference last month.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I have hope until such time as Mack Portera kills the program or there's no obvious place to play. I've always said that it made no sense to play long-term as an independent. I think a lot of people inside of college hockey understand that, and maybe some of them want to act on it, but it's just not coming out that way. It cannot have helped the conference chances that Portera started to go budget-only with this decision without thinking of the long-term benefits of the program to the University community as a whole.

I do see some glimmers of hope with the CCHA, given that Forrest Karr and Bruce McLeod are boosters. They aren't the FARs that vote, though, and they all have their own best interests to look out for.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I am making a trip to see my son in BHM this fall,( he goes to UAB) and we'd like to take in a game while I'm down there. Is there a particular weekend you would recommend?
                            Thanks,
                            MS
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              I am making a trip to see my son in BHM this fall,( he goes to UAB) and we'd like to take in a game while I'm down there. Is there a particular weekend you would recommend?
                              Thanks,
                              MS
                              You'll be amazed at the number of Tech alums you can find in BHam!

Comment

What is the timeline for the UAH administration to decide whether or not they are going to continue D-1 hockey?

Comment

Working...
                                X