No announcement yet.

Ditching TV (cable/satellite provider)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditching TV (cable/satellite provider)

So, we have decided to ditch Dish Network and strictly go off Netflix (streaming through my blueray player)/ESPN3.com. My question is: what other free/cheap options are out there for programming, and what are folks opinions? My biggest concern is sports. I know that I'm gonna miss baseball and hockey, so what choices do I have? I know that Apple TV offers MLB.tv streaming if you buy the package. Does anything offer NHL Gamecenter Live streaming on a TV? Also, does anything offer ESPN3.com streaming? Thanks!
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Re: Ditching TV (cable/satellite provider)

The NHL game center FAQ page says it will stream to your TV through a variety of internet-connected devices including Roku, ipad, and PS3. A Roku box - depending on the specific one you get (there are many variants) - will cost you somewhere in the $70-$100 range most likely.

Comment

There are always, ahem, "alternate sites" to watch sports for free, live. Google is your friend, and I suggest you skip the first page of results. I'm not a UFC guy, nor a WWE guy anymore, but will always watch a Brock Lesnar fight or Wrestlemania (especially if The Undertaker is involved).

Obviously you were around during the lacrosse fiasco, so you should remember justintv for the people who didn't have ESPNU. There are other smaller sites similar to that. You just have to look. And while I haven't checked this year, if you're in a Yahoo Fantasy Sports league, they often have links to free streaming for the games (noted by a camera icon next to the player that you have).
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Thinking about doing the same when I move, and instead getting the honkin' fast Internet package.

Only TV shows I really watch are sports, WWE, and occasionally Top Gear. Not worth $80 a month for those.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

espn3 works streaming through an xbox 360, not sure about ps3.

Comment

Go to a sports bar. Especially one where you're a regular. Ask for a specific game on one of the TV's. Stream radio on the side with a cellular telephone that includes a data plan.

Comment

You might also add Hulu Plus for $8/month if you watch a lot of current TV shows. They have some movies as well. Works on PC and through Xbox.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                There are always, ahem, "alternate sites" to watch sports for free, live.
                Seems to me, one way or another those sites always end up like this:

http://channelsurfing.net/

Plus, while I'll admit that I've done that in the past, searching for my game EVERY SINGLE NIGHT (and dealing with it getting taken down right at a key point) would get old pretty quick.

After doing some research, it looks like a Roku may be what I want. If you add up MLB.tv ($100), NHL Gamecenter Live ($160), Netflix ($8 a month) and Hulu Plus ($8 a month), it comes out to ~ $40 a month, which is significantly less than what I've been paying for Dish. Plus, it's a lot more content that I want, rather than all those channels that I never watch.

AHA:
                ECAC:

Comment

Just keep in mind that the sports packages are not going to let you watch your local team's games or nationally broadcast games.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Go to a sports bar. Especially one where you're a regular. Ask for a specific game on one of the TV's. Stream radio on the side with a cellular telephone that includes a data plan.
                    That could end up costing more than paying for cable. Fast.
                    Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by pardonme View Post
                      Just keep in mind that the sports packages are not going to let you watch your local team's games or nationally broadcast games.
                      So, nothing that would be available on Versus, ESPN*, TBS, FSN-North^?

^ For Moose, seeing as he's in Minnesota.
                      * ESPN streams their baseball games on ESPN3 don't they?
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

You just can't watch them live. You can watch in replay all you want. In case of MLB I think its 60-90 minute delay from end of game for your local team till its available.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
                          That could end up costing more than paying for cable. Fast.
                          It's called self-control. Going to a bar doesn't mean you have to become ____-faced. Plus, radio is always an option.

Comment

MLB blackouts are the worst, by far. All Saturday afternoon games for Fox's national broadcast window (though you should be able to pick up Fox over the air with an antenna these days), all Sunday night games for ESPN's broadcast window, and all "local" teams. Local, of course, is based on a 1950's market with niches carved out for newer expansion teams. So a state like Iowa or Nevada has 6 local teams, all of whom will be blacked out.

If ESPN streams its MLB broadcasts on ESPN3, then that would of course alleviate the Sunday Night blackout restriction.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/...1150742098.jpg

The NHL is similar. All NBC games are blacked out (though, again, you should be able to pick it up over the air), certain Versus games (only when they have a national broadcast window), and all "local" teams. And, again, "local" is broadly defined depending on your area - here in the Des Moines area, the Blues, Blackhawks, and Wild all claim us as "local." Unfortunately, there's no blackout map readily available like there is for MLB.

Also, if you're in or near any major city, don't shell out for an expensive "HD antenna." An old rabbit ears with a UHF ring should work fine anyplace where the broadcast towers are within 15-20 miles of the TV set. The over the air signals are still coming in over the same bands, and your old $5 antenna should pick them up fine. You only need a bigger or stronger antenna if the towers are farther away.
                            Last edited by unofan; 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

As far as MLB, I'm pretty much covered since I really don't care about the Twins (stupid question of the day - can you guys see my Cubs avatar? I only subscribed to USCHO Extra for one year, but can't seem get rid of it). Also, I wonder how that will work for the NHL. I'm not a huge fan of the Wild, and am 4 hour from Winnipeg. Would Jets games be blacked out for me?

AHA:
                              ECAC:

Comment

Working...
                              X