X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MICHIGAN TECH OFFSEASON THREAD II: The Winning has started

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS
    http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

Warvie sure knows how to get on the new coaches good side; comparing him to Waters and Russell- what a knucklehead, if I was Pearson I would have told him to shove it but he is much to classy for that; probably why he is such a good recruiter.
    He is right that he is different, but to be fair to Warvie, Pearson deserves comparison to Russell, Watters, Boxer and Nahrgang until he proves otherwise. He is a former player. Former players have not worked out for Tech in the past (especially Watters). I wanted Cary Eades because I wanted someone outside of the program with the pedigree. Pearson (#2 on my list) certainly comes to Michigan Tech with a better background than Russell and Watters (I don't know much about Boxer and Nahrgang), so hopefully he can buck the trend.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy
      He is right that he is different, but to be fair to Warvie, Pearson deserves comparison to Russell, Watters, Boxer and Nahrgang until he proves otherwise. He is a former player. Former players have not worked out for Tech in the past (especially Watters). I wanted Cary Eades because I wanted someone outside of the program with the pedigree. Pearson (#2 on my list) certainly comes to Michigan Tech with a better background than Russell and Watters (I don't know much about Boxer and Nahrgang), so hopefully he can buck the trend.
      Agreed. When I was in Houghton visiting the AF rotc det last fall, someone there said they hoped the new coach would not be another Tech Grad but be from outside the program. However having said that I think Pearson is the one guy who is the exception to that.
      As far as Johnson. Good luck to him.He is fast but he needs a lot more to his game.
      I guess the OHL is crowing about this or it wouldn't be on the front page, and he was not drafted.. wonder why not..I notice he had his agent there.... hmmm.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The argument could also be made that if it weren't for Pearson being an alumni, Tech likely wouldn't have landed him. To me after 23 years, he's first and foremost a Michigan man who once played for Tech and an insult to him to be compared to failures, regardless of their alma mater, when he's coming in as the most successful assistant in possibly the history of college hockey. I don't think that was very well thought out by Warvie and I'm surprised Pearson even commented.

As a sidenote he made mention of possibly bringing in recruits for next year in the article.

Comment

Quick question, can someone endow academic scholarships for hockey team athletes? Therefore, your best players academically wouldn't need the athletic scholarship.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man
            Quick question, can someone endow academic scholarships for hockey team athletes? Therefore, your best players academically wouldn't need the athletic scholarship.
            i don' tthink so flashy. Except in the Ivy league.

Does anyone know anything about Trouba from the U 17 team?
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Honestly, should Pearson care what some old fart DMG writer thinks of him?

Just start winning games. That's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader
                Agreed. When I was in Houghton visiting the AF rotc det last fall, someone there said they hoped the new coach would not be another Tech Grad but be from outside the program. However having said that I think Pearson is the one guy who is the exception to that.
                As far as Johnson. Good luck to him.He is fast but he needs a lot more to his game.
                I guess the OHL is crowing about this or it wouldn't be on the front page, and he was not drafted.. wonder why not..I notice he had his agent there.... hmmm.
                I would guess there were multiple reasons he wasn't drafted:

1. didn't have midget AAA on his resume (beside limited time with the eagles)
                2. wasn't playing high school in the metro detroit area where he could be scouted regularly
                3. may not have believed he had a lot of interest in playing MJ

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader
                  i don' tthink so flashy. Except in the Ivy league.

Does anyone know anything about Trouba from the U 17 team?
                  Projected to be first round top 10 NHL draft pick next year. Undecided on college; may go MJ. Would be best defensemen to play at Tech possibly ever (if by miracle he came there).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold
                    Honestly, should Pearson care what some old fart DMG writer thinks of him?

Just start winning games. That's all that matters.
                    No I highly doubt he cares what Warvie thinks of him but regardless, he's the local press, it's published, and it's an insult to him as the first article written about him.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS
                      No I highly doubt he cares what Warvie thinks of him but regardless, he's the local press, it's published, and it's an insult to him as the first article written about him.
                      I agree, I had the same thoughts when I first saw the story. As for "Pearson shouldn't have commented on it", understand that the interview was done first (most likely by phone), Warvie mulled it over, then composed the whole "same old road as before" gem afterwards. Mel had no idea how his quotes would be used. Understand also that Keith isn't a hockey guy by any stretch, and has a very limited understanding of the local and Tech history. I wish *ahem* that Brandon would cover Tech hockey himself, at least on Saturdays when the deadline isn't tight, and for columns like this.

Honestly, to me, saying Tech shouldn't hire anyone who played here is like saying they shouldn't hire a white guy again, because it hasn't worked out in the past. They're all individuals and being a Tech alum has exactly zero to do with failing or succeeding as a D1 coach. I just don't get it.
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey
                        Red will be at the Houghton Walmart parking lot scouting local talent on Monday..........................against Mel
                        I would like to experience Red against Mel in the Walmart parking lot. When is this going to happen.......................Monday?

Comment

Here are some names to keep an eye on for Mel's Staff:
                          Danton Cole - USNTDP U-17 Head Coach (Least likely but who knows)
                          Ryan Rezmierski -USNTDP Director of Player Personnel
                          Chadd Cassidy - USNTDP U-18 Assistant Coach
                          Peter Ward - USNTDP Assistant Director of Player Personnel
                          Matt Greason - USNTDP U-17 Assistant Coach
                          Mike Hamilton?
                          Matt Herr?
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Tech has to be favored to win the WCHA this year now, don't they?
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers
                              Tech has to be favored to win the WCHA this year now, don't they?
                              Absolutely! Anything less than 30 wins is a failure.

Comment

Does Mel compare to Davis Payne, Chris Chihocki, Warren Young, Lou Angotti, Glen Glutzan, and Mark Maroste? Yes tech should have went a diffrent direction then the lousy alumni records of the past. But Mel is the chosen one know he can prove himself till he goes in the losing mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X