X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Economics of Liechtenstein

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Contacting International Programs is a good idea. They could organize a group from the I-House dorm on the 2nd floor of West McNair.

The Misfits could also benefit from holding a couple of "Learn the Game" meetings, preferably led by a couple players and/or an assistant coach for credibility's sake.
    I doubt people would go to the meetings. It would be nice if people in the student section knew the **** rules instead of thinking every **** check is INTERFERENCE!!!1!!!1!, even when the player being checked has the puck.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I doubt people would go to the meetings. It would be nice if people in the student section knew the **** rules instead of thinking every **** check is INTERFERENCE!!!1!!!1!, even when the player being checked has the puck.
      always a highlight of any hockey game experience...sitting next to someone that thinks they know the game. If I'm at an NHL game, I always seem to end up next to some guy with his girl...she's asking questions and he's just shooting bull...acting like he knows when its all just crap. Tons of fun.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        But what do you have to lose at this point? Worst case, you end up staying where you are now with low student attendance.

And, I'd rather sit by the guy who thinks every check is INTERFERENCE!!!1!11! than the guy who constantly yells, "SHOOT IT! SHOOOOOT!" during the PP.
        Always a Wildcat...
        Originally posted by Kepler
        If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
          And, I'd rather sit by the guy who thinks every check is INTERFERENCE!!!1!11! than the guy who constantly yells, "SHOOT IT! SHOOOOOT!" during the PP.
          I've taken to countering those fans by yelling "Pass! Pass!" while the team tries to cycle on the PP. It's good for a few laughs from those that hate the "Shooot!" people.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            I've taken to countering those fans by yelling "Pass! Pass!" while the team tries to cycle on the PP. It's good for a few laughs from those that hate the "Shooot!" people.
            I've taken to yelling shoot every time a player on my team touches the puck in the d and neutral zone to prove how stupid it is
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I've taken to yelling shoot every time a player on my team touches the puck in the d and neutral zone to prove how stupid it is
              Well, it did work in Denver's favor, so it could happen!
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                But what do you have to lose at this point? Worst case, you end up staying where you are now with low student attendance.

Yeah, thats true, there is no harm it trying, and even if it makes a couple more people a little hockey literate it would be an improvement.

The SHOOOOOOT!!!!!!111!!! is just as annoying.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Well, it did work in Denver's favor, so it could happen!
                  we were making fun of the people behind us while watching the Duluth East vs Grand Rapids sectional final at Amsoil last year and they kept saying shoot whenever the greyhounds had the puck in the offensive zone. So we started saying it anytime the greyhounds had the puck...ANYWHERE. Funny part is they were shutout until the final moments when one of the d-men ripped a shot from the point and it deflected in and then won in OT...haha

Comment

last post for awhile ... keep the faith!
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Oh my gosh - what is up with all this rational talk about MTU hockey without 27 ignored posts in between? Answer: Awwwesome!

As far as charging the students, doesn't that sort of already exist with that Tech Experiance fee or what it is where they have X number of free tickets on a first come, first served basis? I would love to see Tech do that for about 200-300 tickets per game. Since everything is electronic with "ripping" the tickets when you enter, they should also find a way to track that data and see who is using them. If someone use four or more in a season maybe offer them a half price ticket package the next season trying to get them to buy some tickets and free up the freebees for other students?

PE pass / fail credit for watching hockey would be cool, but should only be given if you can pass a test at the end of the semester showing you at least know some of the basic rules / trends of the game. That way we are assured you won't be that person who yells "shoot - shoot" during the power play when the shooting lane is not open and you won't scream bloody murder for a penalty regarding a hand pass in the D-zone.

I agree that waching hockey is every bit as intense as archery, shooting guns, social dance or bowling (which I took twice - beginning and advanced, which required you to know how to score your own game). Hockey was certainly my favorite PE class. I took it five or six quarters but sadly only got credit for one. But it was "free" ice time since I was a full load student so who wouldn't want to play. The classes were instructed by Pete Wilkinson who was an assistant at the time and he was pretty cool and really did teach us some good basic skills / techniques, rather than just turn us loose for two hours of open ice. Even made us skate sprints once in a while. When I came back for the fourth class he said he wouldn't let me audit the class anymore unless I played goalie, so I did. The team sold me a complete set of goalie gear (sans skates, cup and a helmet) so cheap even with my part time job in Wads I could handle the bill. Ahhh, good times.
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        always a highlight of any hockey game experience...sitting next to someone that thinks they know the game. If I'm at an NHL game, I always seem to end up next to some guy with his girl...she's asking questions and he's just shooting bull...acting like he knows when its all just crap. Tons of fun.
                        heh. I was with my friends @ a unh game years ago spouting off what I know during the game. Some girl turns around and says ' my boyfriend says the same things' . I go on to ask who the boyfriend is, turns out it was kevin Regan who was our starting goaltender.

Some of us know whats going on
                        "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

• Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post

Newsflash, they're the same guy...

I took golf and ice skating as PEXS courses at UND. The golf one actually improved my game, where as ice skating was just fun (I had played hockey since I was 5...nothing that that class could really teach me as it was designed for beginners).
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            When I came back for the fourth class he said he wouldn't let me audit the class anymore unless I played goalie, so I did. The team sold me a complete set of goalie gear (sans skates, cup and a helmet) so cheap even with my part time job in Wads I could handle the bill. Ahhh, good times.
                            They've actually got a couple of sets of goalie gear up there now. I've used them in IM when ours didn't show... I consider goalie terrifying.
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              Newsflash, they're the same guy...

I took golf and ice skating as PEXS courses at UND. The golf one actually improved my game, where as ice skating was just fun (I had played hockey since I was 5...nothing that that class could really teach me as it was designed for beginners).
                              I took the golf PE at Tech. I always had to play with some ***** kid, who's ***** rich dad paid for a membership at Oakland Hills. The ******* never had to work a day in his life so he played at Oakland Hills everyday. I got to hear about how awesome he was, and how awesome Oakland Hills, combined with *****ing because the PGA/USGA/R&A/etc. had the nerve to take over HIS course for 3 months just to play their silly Ryder Cup. I should have 7-ironed that asswipe.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH OFFSEASON THREAD II: The Winning has started

Mel's bio has been added to the Coaches section of the Ice Hockey page. No other changes to that page.

Mel Pearson, who spent the last 23 years at Michigan helping the Wolverines to a 667-243-71 record, 11 Frozen Fours and two national championships, begins his first season as Michigan Tech's head coach in 2011-12.

Pearson, a former winner of the Terry Flanagan Award which honors an assistant coach's career, has been hailed as one of the best recruiters in the nation. He was credited with landing the bulk of the players on Michigan's 1996 and 1998 NCAA championship teams, and has recruited dozens of All-Americans and several Hobey Baker finalists during his time in Ann Arbor. A total of 54 Michigan players have gone on to play in the NHL since 1988.

Pearson began as assistant coach under Red Berenson in Ann Arbor in 1988 and was promoted to associate head coach prior to the 1999-2000 season. His official duties included working with the forwards and power play. He also served as the program's lead recruiter, working mainly with the US National Development Team, the United States Hockey League and within Michigan and Ontario.

During Pearson's stint at Michigan, the Wolverines won 11 CCHA regular season titles, 9 CCHA playoff championships and advanced to the NCAA Tournament a record 21 consecutive times from 1991-2011. The Wolverines played in the NCAA title game a month ago, losing to Minnesota Duluth 3-2 in overtime.

Pearson, who was born in Vancouver, B.C., moved to Minnesota as a youth and played hockey at Edina High School. He was recruited by John MacInnes and played for the legendary coach at Michigan Tech from 1977-81. A forward, Pearson put up 56 points (21-35--56) in 97 career games in a Black and Gold sweater and also earned a degree in business administration while in Houghton. One of his playing highlights included scoring the game-winning goal in the championship game of the 1979 Great Lakes Invitational. The tally broke a 4-all deadlock to beat Michigan in the longest game in the history of the 44-year tournament.

In 1982, Pearson was hired as an assistant coach at Michigan Tech. He worked under Jim Nahrgang and Herb Boxer during his six-year stay in Houghton. He was responsible for recruiting many high profile players to Tech including Randy McKay, Scott White, Damian Rhodes and Shawn Harrison.

Outside of the collegiate world, Pearson served as a coach with the 1996 United States World Junior Championship team, which earned a silver medal, the country's best finish at the event at the time. He has also worked numerous USA Select festivals and Michigan Select festivals as head coach, evaluator and assistant coach.

Pearson and his wife, Susie, have three children-Kim (25), Sarah (22) and Paul (19).

Comment

Working...
                                X