• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley Falcons Official 2011-2012 Thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Does Clarkson owe you a visit??
    I would be surprised if they did.

Atlantic Hockey isn't always the best at getting return games. Hell, the only reason UConn gets as many as they do is that they can use their tournament, which has a slight chance of being a decent RPI-boosting NC game for the two non-AHA teams who play.
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
      I would be surprised if they did.

Atlantic Hockey isn't always the best at getting return games. Hell, the only reason UConn gets as many as they do is that they can use their tournament, which has a slight chance of being a decent RPI-boosting NC game for the two non-AHA teams who play.
      The AHA has a major problem with drawing power. They don't have the home ice advantages that most of the other teams they'll play, so it's almost impossible to host an OOC game. It's one of those no-win situations.

If you have an OOC game, you know you can't draw anything at your home rink, so it doesn't make sense for the OOC opponent to sacrifice a potential gate. I think Bentley drew over 500 people last year only twice, and that was because Air Force and Holy Cross were in town. Additionally, Bentley's rink is a dump, so it really makes no sense fo ra team to come here.

It would be great as a Bentley person to see the Clarkson green or RPI red because they make for a good draw, but unfortunately, it's not like that name on the scheudle is going to affect the ability to put butts in the seats. Not without that on-campus rink we're never going to get.

Bentley should probably have one game against RPI, and they usually get Clarkson for two on the road. It makes sense to add another OOC against the ECAC, centered around RPI. Last year, it went Qpac and RPI back-to-back but that was a hellacious road trip. Union is probably out because they have a bigger rep these days with last year's run. Maybe Vermont isn't out of the question?

There will probably be another HE game besides UMass. Norhteastern and Maine were both on the schedule in past years, along with UML. Maybe PC or UVM.
      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Sorry guys, looks like we're not playing you this year.

Comment

You have Clarkson @ the JAR for 2 games last weekend of October.

Two of 7(!) Games against AHA teams this season for the Green & Gold.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            You have Clarkson @ the JAR for 2 games last weekend of October.

Two of 7(!) Games against AHA teams this season for the Green & Gold.
            This has to be the first OOC home games for Bentley in years!

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
              This has to be the first OOC home games for Bentley in years!
              First that I can remember, going back over a decade, I think.

After Bentley tied Clarkson in their second game in Potsdam last season, we won five of our next seven, including a 2-1 upset at Northeastern. Bentley was still competitive through December without much to show for it, but then the roof fell in the rest of the way, which seemed strange, as we did not have the major and nagging injuries throughout the line up that we suffered the previous season.

Anyway, looking forward to Clarkson's visit at the end of October. Hope that we can get a few Bentley fans to the JAR, but that might be asking too much.

Comment

Clarkson travels pretty well, so hopefully you guys won't be TOO outnumbered there.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Clarkson travels pretty well, so hopefully you guys won't be TOO outnumbered there.
                  Oh, we Bentley fans will be outnumbered as usual, but I am used to that, so no problem. Waltham is a great place for out-of-towners to spend the weekend, what with the Watch City Brew Pub on Moody Street and dozens of restaurants with every cuisine imaginable on Moody and Main Streets, less than two miles from the John A. Ryan Rink on River Street, just over the line in Watertown.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    First that I can remember, going back over a decade, I think.

After Bentley tied Clarkson in their second game in Potsdam last season, we won five of our next seven, including a 2-1 upset at Northeastern. Bentley was still competitive through December without much to show for it, but then the roof fell in the rest of the way, which seemed strange, as we did not have the major and nagging injuries throughout the line up that we suffered the previous season.

Anyway, looking forward to Clarkson's visit at the end of October. Hope that we can get a few Bentley fans to the JAR, but that might be asking too much.
                    I've heard a couple of different things in the wake of the offseason heading into the summer on last season.

First, Coach Soderquist made reference ina couple of game recaps to the team worrying about "who has what shift" as opposed to going out there and playing a team game. He didnt' name names, but there were a couple of larger-named players and key guys who, by the end of the year, were hardened for whatever reason. On any given night, they could play a great team game, but they chose to sacrifice that for individual effort. There wasn't much puck movement, and it came at a price. The losses mounted, and it was like a snowball effect in that regard. The more they lost, the more they became less cohesive.

Second, I heard the lines were not as cohesive as in past years. Chemistry was a BIG problem. In 2009-2010, the lines were cohesive, they just weren't any good. This past year, the line combinations changed almost week-to-week because players couldn't get on a run. The only line that stayed together was the 3rd line instigator special of mini-mites. Koudys, Hartung, and Nudy played together almost all season, but they weren't as talented as Cloutier and Peterson. The problem was finding the right players to play together. Late in the year, they went head-to-head with lines that gelled all season and they still didn't have the right combos. That's not necessarily a coaching issue, but there needs to be some chemistry after the first 15 games.

Third, they had an issue with youth. There are a couple of forgettable recruiting classes that Coach White brought in, namely because it was his first couple of years. If you go back a few years, there were name players that stayed in the program and kept an impact - namely Menzione, Peterson, Preece, and Cloutier. BUT, there are a bunch of names who dropped off that list and dropped off the roster. I won't name the names because I don't want to, but when you have a couple of recruiting classes that lose 2-3 players over the course of 4 years, that's a killer. Those are guys expected to carry the program, and instead, they pack up shop and leave for whatever reason. It's their decisions, so I can't be too critical (esp. if it's personal), but they need to keep the recruits in the program.

I've personally seen Clarkson come on road games. Although FlagDude and I rarely, if ever agree (and will probably snipe at each other come the fall again.. like when I start crapping on RPI for not belonging in the NCAAs and getting murdered by North Dakota hehehe ), I wholeheartedly agree that they bring a great crowd. They usually bring their band, which never exists at the JAR (nobody brings a band), and the arena is going to be rocking those nights. The band comes and waves a huge green-and-white flag. Don't get me wrong - there's not a whole lot else to do in Potsdam, but it will certainly be an event. They bring a great resume compared to some of our other opponents (no offesne to RPI... we don't play you at home and have only gone to Albany).

It's going to be a lot of fun, and I know I"m looking forward to it.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

[QUOTE=Humanoid;5156060](no offesne to RPI... we don't play you at home and have only gone to Albany).[QUOTE]

err, Troy. But, otherwise, great post!

Comment

and dozens of restaurants with every cuisine imaginable on Moody and Main Streets.
                        sure does!

Comment

[QUOTE=Snively65;5156159][QUOTE=Humanoid;5156060](no offesne to RPI... we don't play you at home and have only gone to Albany).

err, Troy. But, otherwise, great post!
                          If I called it Little Schenectady, I'd be lynched. haha

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Comment

Bentley now scheduled to play three of the AHA west teams at "home" on 2-3 December (Niagara), 6-7 January (Bobby Mo), and 20-21 January (RIT).

Eastern foes yet to be scheduled are AIC, UConn, and Holy Cross, which my guess will be home-and-home series the the last three weekends, 10-11, 17-18, and 24-25 February.

So, that leaves several weekends during November and December and 13-14 January for trips to Canisius, Mercyhurst, and Air Force; solo games with AIC, UConn, and Holy Cross; and two additional OOC games (wonder who those opponents will be).

Comment

Bentley now scheduled to play three of the AHA west teams at "home" on 2-3 December (Niagara), 6-7 January (Bobby Mo), and 20-21 January (RIT).

Eastern foes yet to be scheduled are AIC, UConn, and Holy Cross, which my guess will be home-and-home series the the last three weekends, 10-11, 17-18, and 24-25 February.

So, that leaves several weekends during November and December and 13-14 January for trips to Canisius, Mercyhurst, and Air Force; solo games with AIC, UConn, and Holy Cross; and two additional OOC games (wonder who those opponents will be).
                                That's interesting, but it definitely cuts down on travel. Canisius and Mercyhurst are still long road trips, and I think the team enjoys the trip to Air Force even though it's a cross-country flight.

I know RMU did not come here last year, so it'll be great to see them for the first time. I would love to see Bentley be able to have their schedule line up favorably. It did last year, but the Falcons team just couldn't get the wheels moving.

Any news on committed recruits for next year as of yet?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Working...
                                X