PDA

View Full Version : Set me straight on your hockey school's acronym

Pages : 1 [2] 3

amherstblackbear
06-03-2011, 05:15 PM
University of Maine is just ME same as the state, because the hillbillies can then just refer to their mail if they forget the abbreviation.

University of Vermont is UVM, which stands for Universitas Viridis Montis for those that understand other languages.....

Your grasp of "other languages" appears to exceed your grasp of English.

Someone had to say it.

jcarter7669
06-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Your grasp of "other languages" appears to exceed your grasp of English.

Someone had to say it.

Oh I said for those that understand other languages. I had to look at my sweathshirt to make sure I spelled it correctly. Still not sure what it means.

amherstblackbear
06-03-2011, 05:22 PM
It doesn't take *that* much talent to work out that it's a reference to Green Mountains.

Taking a crack at hillbillies and writing like one as you do it . . . now those are mad skillz.

Flame away. My work here is finished. :)

Twitch Boy
06-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Our University Marketing and Communications department simply insists that you refer to us as Michigan Tech. They get all butthurt if you say MTU. I guess Michigan Technological University is just too much for some people to wrap their brains around these days.

If you REALLY wanna see some lulz, ask one of us what our school colors are.

MarkEagleUSA
06-03-2011, 06:19 PM
If you REALLY wanna see some lulz, ask one of us what our school colors are.What are your school colors?

jcarter7669
06-03-2011, 06:32 PM
it doesn't take *that* much talent to work out that it's a reference to green mountains.

Taking a crack at hillbillies and writing like one as you do it . . . Now those are mad skillz.

Flame away. My work here is finished. :)

alol

Slap Shot
06-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I hate when you say UMD people confuse with you with UMd of University of Maryland Fame

Yeah, that's usally the first thing that comes to mind... ;)

UMTC - no.

Sean Pickett
06-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Only works if you spell it right ;)Which is why I made sure to misspell it. :D

Sean

UncleRay
06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Hockey East

Boston College - BC
Boston University - BU
Maine - Pretty sure it's usually the state spelled out, although I've seen UMO sometimesUsed to be UMO, but since the official name now is merely the University of Maine, the O has been dropped. As someone already stated, you mostly just see ME now.
UMass Amherst - UMA
UMass Lowell - UML
Merrimack - MC
New Hampshire - UNHAccording to some of their own fans (which we are only too happy to remind them of), it is UHN
Northeastern - NU
Providence - PC
Vermont - UVM

Ralph Baer
06-04-2011, 05:42 AM
And by RPI officials who refuse to use any acronym and insist it be called Rensselear (probably so everyone will know how to spell it ;)).

Sean

Good point. :D

joecct
06-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Clarkson -- CCT
Which harkens back to the good ole days when the school was known as (Thomas S.) Clarkson (Memorial) College of Technology.

amherstblackbear
06-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Used to be UMO, but since the official name now is merely the University of Maine, the O has been dropped. As someone already stated, you mostly just see ME now.According to some of their own fans (which we are only too happy to remind them of), it is UHN

Maine is in a hard spot. If the university insists on "UM" for television broadcasts, it might look presumptuous. And given the number of other universities with a claim on UM, many of which have a much higher national profile, it would potentially create confusion -- at least for part of a TV audience. Since the state's name is so short, why not just use it? :confused:

Genbeau
06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
When I first saw UMTC I thought that's obviously gotta be University of Mumbai, Thrikkannamangal Campus. Then I remembered they don't have a campus there.
The B1G acronyms for hockey:

Michigan is UMAA.
Ohio State is tOSU
Wisconsin is UW
Michigan State is MSU
Minnesota is UMTC
Penn State is PSU

RITProf
06-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I really hate to do this, but it's a bit of a pet peeve ...

acronym |ˈakrəˌnim|
noun
a word formed from the initial letters of other words (e.g., radar, laser).

For most teams, they are "abbreviations", not "acronyms". That said, I guess "RIT" could qualify as both.

Some that are acronyms: AFA, RIT, UM, UNO, DU, NU (both of them), SHU, OSU, others?? (Does the AHA lead the nation in acronyms?? ;))

StillaLeafsFan
06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Notre Dame is generally referred to as ND, with UND being North Dakota. The two are frequently confused and it doesn't help matters that the website for Notre Dame athletics is und.com.
Irish folks aren't uptight enough to care about the mascot. I'd guess that most think it's pretty cool.

walrus
06-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Used to be UMO, but since the official name now is merely the University of Maine, the O has been dropped. As someone already stated, you mostly just see ME now.According to some of their own fans (which we are only too happy to remind them of), it is UHN

The O was dropped and the 0 was added:D

redwing77
06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Notre Dame is generally referred to as ND, with UND being North Dakota. The two are frequently confused and it doesn't help matters that the website for Notre Dame athletics is und.com.
Irish folks aren't uptight enough to care about the mascot. I'd guess that most think it's pretty cool.

Meanwhile North Dakota fans are uptight enough to point out that North Dakota doesn't have a mascot. :D

NMU8405
06-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Being from the State of Maine, UMaine is referred to as UMO (UMaine Orono). They are the flagship school of the UMaine system, not UMPQ (UMaine Presque Isle) or UMaine Farmington (UMF). UMO is the only D-1 program in the state. The largest school in Maine is USM (Univ of Southern Maine) with 12,000 students.

As for Northern Michigan University...oh boy. The boys at Fox Sports Rockies had them listed as UNM, and even our own announcer for radio...the wonderful Ashley Sarge Check here for that. (http://www.intotheboards.net/vbforums/showthread.php?26462-Broadcaster-Ashley-Scharge)

SteveP
06-05-2011, 08:48 PM
As for Northern Michigan University...oh boy. The boys at Fox Sports Rockies had them listed as UNM, and even our own announcer for radio...the wonderful Ashley Sarge Check here for that. (http://www.intotheboards.net/vbforums/showthread.php?26462-Broadcaster-Ashley-Scharge)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. No disrespect to NMU and Marquette, but I'm glad what coulda - didn't. :)

Happy
06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Meanwhile North Dakota fans are uptight enough to point out that North Dakota doesn't have a mascot. :D

Of course you do, you just are too ***** to admit it.