Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten considers pay proposal

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    Dang! For all his childish insults I for once agree with Happy! Dudes who plan on one-and-done should either sign pro contracts or get stuffed. Students who attend college to earn a degree do not get paid until they get a job. Higher education exists to enlighten students, not to provide a venue for pay-to-play athletes.
    College exists for many reasons, including to prepare young adults for the professional ranks (whether they are a legal aid, health care worker or football player), not just to "enlighten" students. Who decided that it takes four years and 120 credit hours to become enlightened anyway?

Comment

College athletes are to enjoy free room, free meals, free education (if they wish), free training facilities, free entertainment (parties and ladies), free promotion, and now are to receive a salary to boot. The justification for this largesse is that the athletes make money for the schools they play for. Is this right so far?
      Colleges should recruit and enroll co-ed kooch dancers and provide them with free room, board, instruction, salary, promotion, and a plush theater in which they can ply their trade. Why? Because you can bet your booties they will be huge money-makers for their sponsoring universities, most likely producing more revenue than athletes who play games. [And these exotic dancers will be training to excel in their professional ranks.] If the profit argument for sports athletes is valid then the profit argument for kooch dancers is even more valid.

Comment

College athletes are to enjoy free room, free meals, free education (if they wish), free training facilities, free entertainment (parties and ladies), free promotion, and now are to receive a salary to boot. The justification for this largesse is that the athletes make money for the schools they play for. Is this right so far?
        Colleges should recruit and enroll co-ed kooch dancers and provide them with free room, board, instruction, salary, promotion, and a plush theater in which they can ply their trade. Why? Because you can bet your booties they will be huge money-makers for their sponsoring universities, most likely producing more revenue than athletes who play games. [And these exotic dancers will be training to excel in their professional ranks.] If the profit argument for sports athletes is valid then the profit argument for kooch dancers is even more valid.
        It would be valid, except universities don't want to be associated with that form of dance.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

No.

Comment

Replace "kooch" with "modern, interpretative", and "exotic" with "pole-based, athletic dance", and you've got a bingo.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              I'm surprised the south hasn't created a league for football similar to Major Junior. That would end all of this nonsense.
              I'm not. If it was a Junior team they wouldn't have the same contection they have to their school and wouldn't care. Also, This way the big time boosters can control things at "their" school and pound their chest and brag while doing it.
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

You have to wonder whats really driving this proposal. Guilt, fear of being sued?

You start paying the players and some slap-happy lawyer is going to figure out that these students aren't being paid minimum wage, aren't being paid for overtime, aren't being paid while they are traveling on the road, working out, getting a massage, rehabbing an injury...

If they get injured, is it going to be a workers comp claim?

Would the students be liable for income taxes during road games?
                Last edited by dggoddard; 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  If they want to start paying athletes doesn't that make them professionals, and the schools (at least the athletic departments) "professional sports teams"?

If so, they would no longer be "academic" but "professional" and all their revenues would become taxable and donations to their programs would no longer be deductable for the donors.

Sounds like the Big Ten hasn't thought this through, or they are looking to help the Federal deficit (by providing new tax revenues).
                  Hadn't even considered this point. Isn't Congress routinely irritated enough with the NCAA as is in regards to their "tax-exempt" status?
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Hadn't even considered this point. Isn't Congress routinely irritated enough with the NCAA as is in regards to their "tax-exempt" status?
                    Yeah, paying them to be athletes opens up a whole other can of worms there. Far more simpler for them to increase the amount the athletes can get paid for their on campus jobs.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      Paying them will have no impact on tax-exempt status. Many charitable organisations pay people to work for them and with them. Should the Red Cross lose its tax exempt status because it pays its employees absolutely not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                        If they want to start paying athletes doesn't that make them professionals, and the schools (at least the athletic departments) "professional sports teams"?
                        No, it means the non-profit institutions simply have more employees and/or provide better paying work-study jobs.

Does paying the head coach or the athletic trainer somehow negate their non-profit academic status?

That said, paying players isn't going to happen. The money from football doesn't line the university presidents' coffers, but pays for the non-revenue sports. The only thing paying football players will do is hurt the non-revenue sports yet again.

Comment

If you haven't gotten a chance to watch last weeks episode of South Park. They make a few good points about student athletes not being paid.

This clip in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVfia...layer_embedded
                          Last edited by CHFAN222; 05-31-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                            If you haven't gotten a chance to watch last weeks episode of South Park. They make a few good points about student athletes not being paid.

This clip in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVfia...layer_embedded
                            no they have no point... they have every right to ply their trade elsewhere... and that being said they are getting a free education... how many here got one of those? Not many.

Of course, slavery was imposed at the point of a gun... force was used to make people comply in providing labor. Can you remind me what awful thing they're being made to do? After that I'll point out various apprenticeships and other situations where you don't get paid much in the short term.

Just because OSU and Auburn want to pay top dollar doesn't mean we should and you would lose the fundamentals of college athletics. That's really what its about, the top schools want a means to go past the other schools that won't be able to spend as much. This type of fan doesn't give a rip about the players as much as its a means to help their school win on the field.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              no they have no point... they have every right to ply their trade elsewhere... and that being said they are getting a free education... how many here got one of those? Not many.

Of course, slavery was imposed at the point of a gun... force was used to make people comply in providing labor. Can you remind me what awful thing they're being made to do? After that I'll point out various apprenticeships and other situations where you don't get paid much in the short term.

Just because OSU and Auburn want to pay top dollar doesn't mean we should and you would lose the fundamentals of college athletics. That's really what its about, the top schools want a means to go past the other schools that won't be able to spend as much. This type of fan doesn't give a rip about the players as much as its a means to help their school win on the field.
                              Great post. I normally think South Park does a tremendous job skewering both sides of an issue, but they really missed the boat there. Nobody's forced to play college sports. Sure, if you want to play professionally, it certainly helps (obviously most don't have another option the way you do in hockey). But that's part of the price of doing what you want to do. If you're not okay with the requirements of your career training, pick a different career.

You want "pizza money?" Here's an idea: use some of that money that you're not spending to go to school. Just a thought.
                              Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
                              1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scally Lama View Post
                                You want "pizza money?" Here's an idea: use some of that money that you're not spending to go to school. Just a thought.
                                What money would that be?
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X