LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Thanks Bill i thought it may have been something along those lines but wasn't sure.
    BLEED BLUE

Comment

I'd be disappointed if St. Cloud or Bemidji left the West for the Super Six. Those are two programs I'm really looking forward to the Lakers having some great series with over the coming years. I wasn't around the for NAIA rivalries, but I can only imagine they were pretty good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by RealLaker94 View Post
        I'd be disappointed if St. Cloud or Bemidji left the West for the Super Six. Those are two programs I'm really looking forward to the Lakers having some great series with over the coming years. I wasn't around the for NAIA rivalries, but I can only imagine they were pretty good ones.
        St Cloud didn't have a very good team back then so it wasn't much of a rivalry. Bemidji was the big rivalry. I don't see Bemidji going to the NCHC. St Cloud might go if the NCHC, especially if the NCHC got to 7 teams and wanted to make it an even 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          St Cloud didn't have a very good team back then so it wasn't much of a rivalry. Bemidji was the big rivalry. I don't see Bemidji going to the NCH
          C. St Cloud might go if the NCHC, especially if the NCHC got to 7 teams and wanted to make it an even 8.
          I just don't see down the line the NCHC wanting to stay a 6 team league and if Notre Dame and Western don't join,that leaves the WCHA as the league to go after.

Comment

I just have to say I am still so happy about this move for LSSU.

And the Great Lake State project is going to do so much behind the scenes. The last major overhaul of the hockey facilities was in 1994. So it was due. We still have an excellent stadium, full seats, private boxes, excellent sight lines, wide open concourses. It has a good press area. Its a good building. I think the improvements to the lockerrooms and other facilities are never a bad thing. But nevertheless, it was one of the better buildings in the CCHA.

The CCHA was left in the dirt by the WCHA for the past 15-20 years. The comments, here and on other sights, about the quality of facilities in teh WCHA compared to the CCHA are stark.

UND, Duluth, Denver, CC, Wisconsin, Bemidji, all play in virtually brand new, sizeable, attractive, rinks. Minnesota, SCSU, and Mankato all play in newish buildings which have been maintained, and in any event are larger than most every other building in the CCHA. Tech plays in a very nice old rink, well maintained, renovated on a regular basis. UAA plays in the big, ugly Sullivan -- and while they seldom need the space, they can seat about 6,000. Almost all of the WCHA rinks are larger than most of the CCHA rinks.

NMU has the BEC (which I've always thought was rather dull, but its new and well maintained). LSSU had the Norris Taffey. And Miami has its brand new beautiful building. Other than that -- Ferris is literally a high-school rink. Western and BGSU are only marginally better than high school rinks. OSU plays in a 15,000 arena, which would be nice if they drew more than 2-3,000 people per game. Notre Dame's Joyce is horrible -- although they are building something new. Munn in East Lansing is a tired, dark hole in the ground. At one time, Munn was a fine college hockey building, but now it would be considered possibly the worst facility in the WCHA (battling the Sullivan). Yost is a tired dump, and as much as the Ann Arbor folks wax and wane on its wonderous charm, the fact is UM has spent little money on upkeep. Its mosty bleachers and rusting girders. Horrible sight lines, and its terrible for TV. Once again, Yost would be the very worst rink in the WCHA. The Carlson in Fairbanks is a nice building, and it is being renovated.

And all of these rinks would be the smallest, or close to the smallest, in the WCHA.

So I can see the current WCHA team's alarm bells going off. I understand the concern. You'll note the two schools the WCHA first went after were NMU and UAF, both with legitimate facilities that require little, if any, modernizing. LSSU soon followed, also with a rink that needs some touch-ups -- but those plans were already in place with the Great Lake State projects. (P.S. -- I know that geopgraphy had to do with the WCHA's moving on UAF and NMU early, as well as many other factors. BUt the facilities had to be a concern).

As for SCSU, I was a little shokced that SCSU was not invited to the NCHC (perhaps they were and they declined?). Perhaps this has something to do with SCSU making such a stink about the Sioux name over the years? (although I think thats petty -- SCSU's administration and English departments haven't made too many friends in Grand Forks).

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
              I just don't see down the line the NCHC wanting to stay a 6 team league and if Notre Dame and Western don't join,that leaves the WCHA as the league to go after.
              The NCHC seems the most likely choice for Notre Dame. However, if Notre Dame does decide otherwise, then Western likely will still want to join the NCHC; that probably is conditional on making arena upgrades or a new arena. If they agree to do that and the NCHC accepts them, that makes 7 teams. The NCHC would want an 8th team and St Cloud could be that team. I'm not so sure the NCHC would be interested in any other WCHA teams.

Comment

I am sure Bowling Green will be accepting the WCHA offer soon enough.

Comment

I'd like to see Bowling Green get offered a spot in the NCHC so the MAC teams could stick together (if that's where Western ends up), but I know that's probably not a possibility. Obviously the new league alignments aren't based on geography. It doesn't make much sence for BGSU, Miami, and Ohio State to be in separate conferences, but I'm sure that's how it will end up. Geopraphically, Bowling Green might be better off if offered a spot in Atlantic Hockey, and would bring a storied program to that league. I'd welcome them to the West, if that's what they feel is best, though. I've always enjoyed the games between the Lakers and Falcons.

Comment

Western is saying ther are not waiting on Notre Dame but will do what is right for their own program. I say they are waiting on Notre Dame and hoping they get to go with ND to wherever they end up. WEstern is looking for a spot in the new power league is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by RealLaker94 View Post
                      I'd like to see Bowling Green get offered a spot in the NCHC so the MAC teams could stick together (if that's where Western ends up), but I know that's probably not a possibility.
                      I've seen this opinion expressed by multiple posters in different discussions on this board, just curious why that is. If it is just geographical that makes perfect sense, but there is no traditional rivalry between the teams in any sport, the MAC rivlaries in that bunch are BG/UT, MU/OU, and WMU/CMU (I think). Bowling Green tends to be our worst attended hockey game of the year. I certaintly don't see Miami sticking their neck out to try and bring in one of those programs against the will of other conference memebers. It's no secrect that a large minorty of Miami fans (and presumably memebers of the administration) belive that we are "above" the MAC, though much of that stems from academics.

That being said, the benefits for Miami if BG or WMU were to be included are pretty obvious, so I would have no problem seeing that happen, but their MAC affiliation wouldn't really factor into it for me.
                      Last edited by MUhawks628; 08-31-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Western is saying ther are not waiting on Notre Dame but will do what is right for their own program. I say they are waiting on Notre Dame and hoping they get to go with ND to wherever they end up. WEstern is looking for a spot in the new power league is my guess.
                        Western is hoping (and praying) that NBC/Versus...err...Notre Dame puts the Irish hockey program in the NCHC and then hope that they can follow along too. I think chances are slim that Hockey East would extend an invitation to WMU. They have nothing to gain by adding Western, other than added travel expense. The clock is ticking for the Broncos with the WCHA offer only good until September 24. Who knows, maybe Notre Dame will even reveal what they are doing by then.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I am sure Bowling Green will be accepting the WCHA offer soon enough.

I think that is likely. They can always change their minds later. Same with Western. I can foresee a scenario where WMU and BGSU join the WCHA in September, 2011 -- and then Notre Dame decides its going someplace (for instance, the NCHC) in October of 2011. And suddenly Western is leaving the WCHA in November of 2011. Same with BGSU. Take the sure invite, and back out when it suits you.

This is the new, cash-is-king world of college hockey. I personally don't like it, but all of college hockey's old-school charms were blown to bits when the Big Ten schools decided competing with MAC and GLIAC schools was a fate worse than death. (they always thought that, by the way, but the addition of Penn State gave them their easy exit).

So BGSU and WMU can accept any invite, and just as easily toss it away if something better comes along. And I don't place any blame on them, because the college hockey universe in the West is being reformed right now, and as programs who were either tossed aside (by the Big Ten) or left out (by the NCHC), I think every school must, for now, do whatever they can to place themselves in the best position for their program's future.

I don't think you'll ever see BGSU in the AHA because of the scholarship limits.

And the AHA is not changing its scholarship limits.

The NCHC wants Western, presumably, because of the K-Zoo / GR market, and WMU's recent investment, or promises of investment, in the hockey program. Including a new stadium in the future. I am not sure BGSU brings that cache to the table. Some recent investments at BGSU, including the new BB stadium, were specifically designed for NO hockey. I think BGSU would be in a stronger position nationally, for hockey, if they made their new BB stadium convertable to hockey. They didn't. And all of the promises and plans to dedicate the school to D-I hockey seem pale. I think, and I am NOT informed, NOT in the loop, and have NO real knowledge ---- but it seems BGSU (based on what I've read from BGUS regarding hockey) is that the administration is stuck in a college hockey mind-set circa-1987. Its a great school, and they have great fans when they are given a reason to cheer. They are a good sports school. I just wonder if hockey isn't too much of an afterthought in the upper offices in BG?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                            I think that is likely. They can always change their minds later. Same with Western. I can foresee a scenario where WMU and BGSU join the WCHA in September, 2011 -- and then Notre Dame decides its going someplace (for instance, the NCHC) in October of 2011. And suddenly Western is leaving the WCHA in November of 2011. Same with BGSU. Take the sure invite, and back out when it suits you.

This is the new, cash-is-king world of college hockey. I personally don't like it, but all of college hockey's old-school charms were blown to bits when the Big Ten schools decided competing with MAC and GLIAC schools was a fate worse than death. (they always thought that, by the way, but the addition of Penn State gave them their easy exit).

So BGSU and WMU can accept any invite, and just as easily toss it away if something better comes along. And I don't place any blame on them, because the college hockey universe in the West is being reformed right now, and as programs who were either tossed aside (by the Big Ten) or left out (by the NCHC), I think every school must, for now, do whatever they can to place themselves in the best position for their program's future.

I don't think you'll ever see BGSU in the AHA because of the scholarship limits.

And the AHA is not changing its scholarship limits.

The NCHC wants Western, presumably, because of the K-Zoo / GR market, and WMU's recent investment, or promises of investment, in the hockey program. Including a new stadium in the future. I am not sure BGSU brings that cache to the table. Some recent investments at BGSU, including the new BB stadium, were specifically designed for NO hockey. I think BGSU would be in a stronger position nationally, for hockey, if they made their new BB stadium convertable to hockey. They didn't. And all of the promises and plans to dedicate the school to D-I hockey seem pale. I think, and I am NOT informed, NOT in the loop, and have NO real knowledge ---- but it seems BGSU (based on what I've read from BGUS regarding hockey) is that the administration is stuck in a college hockey mind-set circa-1987. Its a great school, and they have great fans when they are given a reason to cheer. They are a good sports school. I just wonder if hockey isn't too much of an afterthought in the upper offices in BG?
                            Teams accepting bids to the WCHA may have to contractually agree to a minimum number of years they will be in the conference. As for a new barn in KZoo, a recent article in the Kalamazoo Gazette said that it was unlikely that a vote would come until at least 2012.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              Teams accepting bids to the WCHA may have to contractually agree to a minimum number of years they will be in the conference. As for a new barn in KZoo, a recent article in the Kalamazoo Gazette said that it was unlikely that a vote would come until at least 2012.
                              Probably correct.

And scheduling is usually done two years in advance, so the 30-day window from the WCHA would match up with their need to begin crafting the schedule.

What do you wanna bet somebody from WMU's AD office is calling somebody at Notre Dame's AD's office pretty regularly? (Even if they are saying "we're moving on without Notre Dame.")

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                                Probably correct.

And scheduling is usually done two years in advance, so the 30-day window from the WCHA would match up with their need to begin crafting the schedule.

What do you wanna bet somebody from WMU's AD office is calling somebody at Notre Dame's AD's office pretty regularly? (Even if they are saying "we're moving on without Notre Dame.")
                                I would be very surprised if they aren't trying to stay up on what's going on with the Irish. However, Notre Dame has played it very close to the vest and haven't let out a peep as to their intentions.

Comment

Working...
                                X