Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine 2011 Offseason #2: Wondering If We'll Outdraw Women's Hoops This Year

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
    http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Dubuq...122401169.html

Of particular interest, Maine goalie recruit "Matt Morris was named the MVP of the USHL playoffs...."
    Wonder if we'll be playing you anytime soon, get a Curadi/Morris matchup. (the 6'5" defenseman is an RPI recruit)

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      He did a a great job there and just adding to his Coaching resume and gaining on learning the ins and outs of running a team from the ground up. FINAL Dubuque 6 Green Bay 1
      Maybe ME can hire him to replace Timmay!
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Why Jim Montgomery isn't the guy to be Maine's next head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
          If that's true, that is a shame. Maine/UNH would have generated a lot more excitement and would have been a much bigger draw.
          It's gotta be hard to get one of them to give up a home game.
          Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          They should keep UVM in the field and make it a 2-day event...Revive the Governor's Cup.

Attendance might be poor in Boston without an area team involved,though.I'd like to see them hold it in some old barn like the Tully Forum,and watch a packed house tear the roof off the sucka!
          Have an outdoor game inside? That would be a neat trick. Original, too.
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Maybe he is. Just not now. Montgomery, though he’s a great GM in the USHL, needs time before he takes over the Maine job if it is indeed something he wants to do. There hasn’t been any indicator that says otherwise but you just never know
            No one has a chance to get timmays job this year, next year may be a different story
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              No one has a chance to get timmays job this year, next year may be a different story
              You are right there...after next season could very well be a different story...as far as Montgomery for now all the Head Coaching job openings in Div.1 College Hockey are filled...but after next season he could very well be in Position for a Div.1 job if the opening comes around.

Comment

When I saw a blog about Maine hockey from someone in Indiana, I was hoping for some actual new information coming out of the USHL. Maybe a quote about the Maine job or something.

What I got was a laughably off point op-ed.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  When I saw a blog about Maine hockey from someone in Indiana, I was hoping for some actual new information coming out of the USHL. Maybe a quote about the Maine job or something.

What I got was a laughably off point op-ed.
                  You can follow the Saints/Montgomery thru the: telegraphherald.com --- They do a real good job on the team and have alot of articles on the players/area and the coaching staff. it's the only game in town.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    Maybe ME can hire him to replace Timmay!
                    I'm shocked, jcarter. I expected you to be quicker on the shot with this one.

Comment

• Re: Maine 2011 Offseason #2: Wondering If We'll Outdraw Women's Hoops This Year

The blogger who wrote about Montgomery not coming to Maine now wrote:
                      "No coach can change a kid’s mind into jumping for Major Junior."

He was trying to say that once a kid decides on Major Junior, no coach can convince him to go the college route.

I can safely say that "no coach currently at Maine can do that, but there have been a couple/few in the past who were very capable of doing just that. And they did it because Maine had coaches who could prepare kids to play at the next level. Up until the end of Paul Kariya's career in the NHL, he STILL called Grant to ask him about tweeking this or changing that. And while I do not know for certain, I have a pretty good idea Matt Lundin and Matt Duffy never sent film to Kerluke to ask what they could improve to stay in the ECHL or the AHL.

The canaries died in about 2006. Only a few were looking at the canaries, though.

Comment

• Re: Maine 2011 Offseason #2: Wondering If We'll Outdraw Women's Hoops This Year

Surely you must have some dirt on Jimmy that you want to share with us... after throwing Grant and Shawn, repeatedly under the bus.

Comment

I didn't really see any reason in this blog entry as to why Montgomery wouldn't be the next coach at Maine. Really there wasn't any argument against it. I will say I don't think it will be before next season, unfortunately. But Montgomery seems a logical successor. Especially after just taking the Clark cup with an expansion team.

I liked this quote in the blog though : "Whitehead’s done his part in terms of recruiting but he can’t exactly help the fact that the major pieces he wanted to build around jumped ship and bolted for The Q"

Yeah. That's the reason Timmay hasn't had any success, because the major pieces jumped ship. Right.....
                          Originally posted by Hokydad
                          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

It's kind of funny that Jim Montgomery's name is being batted around in a thread that has women's hoops in the title.

I'm not suggesting that Montgomery = Blodget. Far from it. He always seemed to have the makings of a good leader. But this season is the first time he's really run a team, right?

I think he should be in the mix, but if/when the university actually gets off its arse and runs a men's hockey search, it should be a full search, not a Montgomery coronation.
                            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Quick question, I thought I followed the team pretty closely, but did Gustav Nyquist go Major Junior? Tanner House? Jeff Dimmen? No? Then what excuse is Major Junior? Great point for 2009. Useless point for 2011. Don't remmeber Maine losing a major goaltending recruit to Major Junior either, though maybe I'm wrong.

The guy writes that this year, 2011-12, is a make or break year for Whitehead? What planet has he been on? 2010-11 was the make or break and it broke. That blog being portrayed as an actual reason Maine won't hire Montgomery struck a chord with me because clearly it was written by someone who doesn't follow this team regularly and is just hitting on the internet nutcase talking points. Real enlightening.

RE Montgomery/Blodgett: Different animals. There's a proven track record of guys that have gone from heading a USHL program to being a successful dead coach. What track record was there of people with one year of low Ivy assistantship going to successful head coach? I can't guarantee that Montgomery would be a good fit or that he'd win, and I'm not even advocating hiring him. But you can't hang him for Cindy's sake. Amherst is right, though, full search is completely necessary if/when.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                                RE Montgomery/Blodgett: Different animals. There's a proven track record of guys that have gone from heading a USHL program to being a successful dead coach.
                                The team has already gone the dead coach route; I doubt anyone really wants to go through that again.

Amherst is right, though, full search is completely necessary if/when.
                                As much as you all hate to hear this, it's "when." Tim isn't going to be the head coach for all eternity. begin jokes...now

Comment

Working...
                                X