This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

If you missed it at the end of the old thread that got locked, NAHL.com is reporting that the Badgers have landed a commitment from Alaska Avalanche goaltender Landon Peterson. Peterson, an Oregon, WI native had a 2.74 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage in 45 games for Alaska.

Here are the Badgers current committed recruits.

2011 Forward Recruits
    Joseph LaBate-Academy of Holy Angels (MN HS)
    Tyler Lapic-Chicago Steel (USHL)
    Matt Paape-Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)
    Brendan Woods-Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)
    Brad Navin-Waupaca (WI HS)

2011 Defense Recruits
    Patrick Daly-Benilde St. Margarets (MN HS)
    Jake McCabe-USA NTDP U18's

2011 Goalie Recruits
    Joel Rumpel-Penticton Vees (BCHL)
    Landon Peterson-Alaska Avalanche (NAHL)

2012 Forward Recruits
    Morgan Zulinick-Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL)
    Corbin McGuire-Fargo Force (USHL)
    Nic Kerdiles-USA NTDP U17

2012 Defense Recruits
    Tim Davison-Notre Dame Academy (WI HS)-Could be 2013

2013 Goalie Recruits

Gabe Grunwald-Ajax Pickering midget
    Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM.

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

That is one good list of talent.
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

I think you forgot Gabe Grunwald for the 2013 class.

Comment

Glad to see another goalie will end up on campus this fall. I was really nervous at the concept of turning the keys over to a frosh with nothing as a fall back.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
          Glad to see another goalie will end up on campus this fall. I was really nervous at the concept of turning the keys over to a frosh with nothing as a fall back.
          I'm not a big fan of another goalie in this yr's class, that means 3 goalies under scholarship in 2013, unless Rumpel leaves after his soph. yr. Eaves already spreads the money thin with 18 forwards on every team. Peterson is a pretty expensive insurance policy.

I just can't see Navin having any impact on the team next year. That's another wasted spot.

What are the chances Smith leaves with his great showing in the IIHF tourney. He just be thinking "I CAN play with these guys." Could he leave school without the Pred's approval?
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            What are the chances Smith leaves with his great showing in the IIHF tourney. He just be thinking "I CAN play with these guys." Could he leave school without the Pred's approval?
            I'm not worried about that.

I'm more worried that Nashville will think that he absolutely MUST come out of school now and have him play a season in Milwaukee instead.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Maybe Chuck has some insight, but I can't see Pederson getting that much of a scholarship.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of another goalie in this yr's class, that means 3 goalies under scholarship in 2013, unless Rumpel leaves after his soph. yr. Eaves already spreads the money thin with 18 forwards on every team. Peterson is a pretty expensive insurance policy.
                I highly doubt Peterson is on much, if any scholarship.

Originally posted by Badgers1 View Post
                I think you forgot Gabe Grunwald for the 2013 class.
                Thank you.
                Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                I'm not worried about that.

I'm more worried that Nashville will think that he absolutely MUST come out of school now and have him play a season in Milwaukee instead.
                Nashville has proven with Geoffrion that they are willing to be patient and as long as a player wants to stay they are fine with it. With the success Blake has had, I doubt they would push a kid to come out.

I agree with Timmy, if he leaves, it's because of him (and his advisors).
                Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I've got to think the Preds LOVE how Geoffrion turned out and are in no hurry to see Smith leave Madison. They have been a patient organization when it comes to prospect development...hopefully that continues.

Comment

I just can't see Navin having any impact on the team next year. That's another wasted spot.
                    On what basis do you say this? I think that it is a little unfair to proclaim a player's roster spot wasted 5 months before the season starts with no evidence to support such a claim. Is having Navin come in direct from WI HS ranks a risk that his contribution will be limited this season, sure. But give the kid a chance to perform before you lael him a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                      I've got to think the Preds LOVE how Geoffrion turned out and are in no hurry to see Smith leave Madison. They have been a patient organization when it comes to prospect development...hopefully that continues.
                      I was very pleasantly surprised at how well he performed in the playoffs. Seriously, who here thought he'd jump right in and have that impact? He was getting solid minutes in very crucial situations including end of game and overtime.

Good for Blake!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        Nashville has proven with Geoffrion that they are willing to be patient and as long as a player wants to stay they are fine with it. With the success Blake has had, I doubt they would push a kid to come out.

I agree with Timmy, if he leaves, it's because of him (and his advisors).
                        I don't know if I would read too much into how one organization treats one prospect to say how they will treat another, but it's a fair point.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Didn't Smith come in a year later than Geoffrion (who came right after graduating, IIRC)?

I think the kid is clearly ready physically.

Comment

As far as Navin having an impact next season the thing I keep coming back to when I look at the roster is that after Craig Smith there are NO forwards that would be considered scorers. I think Navin will get a look simply because the team will be desperate for scoring next season. I'm not sure if he'll be successful after making the jump straight from high school hockey, but I think he'll get a chance.

I recently talked with one of Navin's Team Wisconsin Major teammates (Ryan Dau from Hudson who is committed to Air Force) who played on a line with him quite a bit. He said the thing about Navin is that he doesn't really jump out at you as the fastest skater, or having the best handle, but that Navin can just find spots and make space for himself in front of the net and score. Since Dau was the playmaker on their top line much of the season and is great at distributing the puck I think I'll take his opinion on what Navin's good at.

As far as Smith, this article came out today on the USA Hockey site which also indicates Smith is headed back to UW next season. Regardless, nobody will be sure of anything for many more months unfortunately.

If lots of competition is good for forwards and defensemen, wouldn't it stand to reason it will be good for the goaltenders as well? I saw on Twitter today Rumpel welcomed Landon Peterson and they conversed a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                              Didn't Smith come in a year later than Geoffrion (who came right after graduating, IIRC)?

I think the kid is clearly ready physically.
                              Granted: the AHL and NHL are both a lot more physical than what Smith was up against in Slovakia.

Comment

Working...
                              X