PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

ExileOnDaytonStreet
09-27-2011, 03:19 PM
You don't think you're being a little hyperbolic?

JDUBBS1280
09-27-2011, 03:20 PM
You don't think you're being a little hyperbolic?

No, I was being straight forward. Sorry I didn't sugar coat it for you.

Chuck Schwartz
09-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Love the reading comprehension skills of ScoobyDoo on Gopher Puck Live.

My quote of:
"If I were him I'd be all in on Hudson Fasching or Taylor Cammarata for 2013 as we'll only bring in a couple forwards in that class."

Apparently translates (http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5094&view=unread#p375871
) to:
"If you read the Wisconsin Recruiting thread on USCHO they expect to have a better than 50/50 shot at Cammarata."

AND (http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5094&view=unread#p375882)

"They say they're going after Cammarata and Fasching full bore."

Talk about twisting someones words around.

JDUBBS1280
09-28-2011, 07:59 PM
I think he was referring to this comment...

read up a bit on them. I'd say given UW's history w/Shattuck kids they've got a 50/50 chance at Cammarata (or better). the other kid is probably a future rat player, but UW should push hard for him anyway.

Chuck Schwartz
09-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Ahhhhh.....missed that post. Insert foot in mouth.

JDUBBS1280
09-28-2011, 08:02 PM

No prob. Sorry if my original post was a little snarky. Didn't intend it to be that way.

Chuck Schwartz
09-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Recruits seasons are starting to kick off...here is where all of the Wisconsin verbals are playing this weekend.

Nic Kerdiles (NTDP U18)-@ University of Michigan (Monday)
Kevin Schulze (Muskegon, USHL)-Start next week (10/7)
Corbin McGuire (Springfield, EJHL)-@ Bay State (Sat & Sun)
Morgan Zulinick (Salmon Arm, BCHL)-@ Coquitlam (Fri), Chilliwack (Sat)
Tim Davison (Team Wisconsin)-vs Shattuck (Sat), vs Team Northwest (Sat), Team Northeast (Sun)-GAMES IN STEVENS POINT
Jake Linhart (Chicago Mission U16)-Compuware Tournament (Detroit)

As of right now 2013 goalie recruit Gabe Grunwald is MIA. Which is not good news.

solovsfett
09-30-2011, 02:01 PM

guilty. but why wouldn't I think UW would have a 50/50 or better shot at Cammarata? Eaves' history w/Schattuck kids is well documented

JDUBBS1280
09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
guilty. but why wouldn't I think UW would have a 50/50 or better shot at Cammarata? Eaves' history w/Schattuck kids is well documented

Here's what I know on the Cammarata situation.

1. He grew up a HUGE Gopher hockey fan. And there was recently this ....

And even though the season at Shattuck’s is finished, the pair is still on the ice, this time as members of the ITR 26ers. The team, run by Buffalo Sabres star and former Minnesota Golden Gopher Thomas Vanek, plays several tourneys in the summer and acts as a bridge between seasons. One bonus of playing for the 26ers is the chance to grab some face time with Vanek himself and get some expert advice on how to develop as a player.

"After the NHL season, he comes and helps run the camp,” Cammarata said. “He said he really liked going to the University of Minnesota and he really likes the college route.”

Which, for a Minnesota kid like Cammarata, is generally the path taken. While the skilled pivot hasn’t chosen a college yet, he did say he wouldn’t mind staying close to home.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/40189-Prospect-Watch-Taylor-Cammarata.html

2. He is good friends with Vinni Lettieri. Not only was the Lettieri commitment good for the Gophers because he is a great player, but it has already paid dividends because he is such a well liked kid amongst his peers. He already helped the Gophers land Geurtler, and I assume it can't hurt the Gophers' chances of landing Cammarata.

3. However, the biggest reason I don't see him ending up at Wisconsin is this. He has already visited Minnesota at least a few times, and recently visited North Dakota. I have heard from a few sources that he is very close to making a decision. Maybe he has, but I haven't heard of a visit to Wisconsin by Cammarata. If they want a chance, they better get moving.

There are a few other things that I have heard (but cannot confirm so I don't feel comfortable divulging here) that give me the impression that his decision will come down to Minnesota or North Dakota and Minnesota is the heavy favorite.

ScoobyDoo
09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Love the reading comprehension skills of ScoobyDoo on Gopher Puck Live.

*sigh*

solovsfett
09-30-2011, 03:26 PM
JDUBBS - thanks for the info...

one thing is 100% certain. Minnesota has obviously turned the corner and then some on recruiting and could be in an FF as early as 2013 and most definitely by 2014 if 1/2 these kids don't bolt...yikes

Chuck Schwartz
09-30-2011, 03:27 PM
*sigh*

To be fair, you did turn me saying that I personally would be all in on Fasching and Cammarata into, "They say they're going after Cammarata and Fasching full bore."

JDUBBS1280
09-30-2011, 03:31 PM

one thing is 100% certain. Minnesota has obviously turned the corner and then some on recruiting and could be in an FF as early as 2013 and most definitely by 2014 if 1/2 these kids don't bolt...yikes

I hope so. What I like is that they finally seem to be bringing in a healthy mix of blue chip prospects (Michaelson, Geurtler, etc) and 3-4 year guys (Rau, Kloos, Lettieri, Nanne).

Still a few areas where we don't even come close to matching up to you guys yet. Defense and goaltending. I guess it's a wait and see how some of the young guys develop and whom they bring in, but it's been a long time since we've had a Martin, Ballard, or Goligoski.

solovsfett
10-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Chuck has a ton of new info on the Badger Hockey blog

love the recruiting update!
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011/10/4/2469338/badger-hockey-recruiting-update

I can't wait to see Kerdiles and Zulinick in Madison. Corbin Mcguire I am still hoping can turn it on and come in as a potential 20-30 point scorer out of the box but we'll see...

do we have the next Pavelski and Earl in Kerdiles and Zulinick??? time will tell

JDUBBS1280
10-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Chuck has a ton of new info on the Badger Hockey blog

love the recruiting update!
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011/10/4/2469338/badger-hockey-recruiting-update

I can't wait to see Kerdiles and Zulinick in Madison. Corbin Mcguire I am still hoping can turn it on and come in as a potential 20-30 point scorer out of the box but we'll see...

do we have the next Pavelski and Earl in Kerdiles and Zulinick??? time will tell

Kerdiles is going to be a good one.

solovsfett
10-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Kerdiles is going to be a good one.

we're all hoping so for sure. I'm trying not to get too excited but reading the press clippings sounds like he's a legit blue-chip...and @ forward it's been a while since UW brought someone that talented in... I don't think Earl and Pavelski were that highly regarded (1st round pick material)...possibly Turris but I don't remember they hype on him as much

Chuck Schwartz
10-05-2011, 02:00 AM
we're all hoping so for sure. I'm trying not to get too excited but reading the press clippings sounds like he's a legit blue-chip...and @ forward it's been a while since UW brought someone that talented in... I don't think Earl and Pavelski were that highly regarded (1st round pick material)...possibly Turris but I don't remember they hype on him as much

Well, Earl and Pavelski were two different recruiting classes but this combination certainly has the potential to rival them in production at the NCAA level. Kerdiles and Zulinick are the real deal.

Timothy A
10-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Bite your tongue!

They still suck, they still suck, they still suck!

markwojo
10-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Since when has Minnesota recruiting been a problem much less a solution at this point? If recruiting accolades won hockey games....few would compete with them. Further....sorry I just don't see a significant change in their recruiting anyways. Their D commits are hardly anything to get overly excited over and their pattern of assembling a collection of highly regarded forwards has generally failed to achieve great results since they had Ballard, Leopold, & Paul Martin on D. But yes...their highly regarded forwards (at least while they stick around) should put some pucks in the net...maybe even more often then their opponents are scoring on the other end of the ice.

JDUBBS1280
10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Since when has Minnesota recruiting been a problem much less a solution at this point? If recruiting accolades won hockey games....few would compete with them. Further....sorry I just don't see a significant change in their recruiting anyways. Their D commits are hardly anything to get overly excited over and their pattern of assembling a collection of highly regarded forwards has generally failed to achieve great results since they had Ballard, Leopold, & Paul Martin on D. But yes...their highly regarded forwards (at least while they stick around) should put some pucks in the net...maybe even more often then their opponents are scoring on the other end of the ice.

That's because we've had John Hill recruiting and developing our defenders the last 4 years. I fully expect to see improvement in this area under Guentzel. We shall see.

And as you mentioned, recruiting accolades don't always result in on-ice performance. You need the right mix of blue chip prospects and 3-4 year guys. What has really hurt the Gophers recently, in addition to the poor recruiting and development on the defensive side, has been the rash of 1-year departures.

Every team loses players early, but losing guys after only a year is especially tough. Not only do you lose their top-end talent, but it forces you to accelerate the timetable on guys who might not be ready (Aaron Ness).