This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Another note on Butcher guys...don't forget that article I posted a few days ago. It's far from a lock that he ever even plays college hockey as Windsor will come after him hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      Another note on Butcher guys...don't forget that article I posted a few days ago. It's far from a lock that he ever even plays college hockey as Windsor will come after him hard.
      Its a lock.

He's coming to DU, you can bet the farm. Will's father Joe, DU assistant Steve Miller & Steve's younger brother played hockey together their entire lives in Sun Prairie, high school and USHL.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2011/09...ies-to-du.html

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Its a lock.

He's coming to DU, you can bet the farm. Will's father Joe, DU assistant Steve Miller & Steve's younger brother played hockey together their entire lives in Sun Prairie, high school and USHL.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2011/09...ies-to-du.html
        The connection certainly gives good insight as to why he chose Denver. However I fail to see how just because his father played high school hockey with Steve Miller that it becomes a "lock" that he ends up there. Doesn't hurt that's for sure, but I'd never bet the farm. Especially with the way Windsor operates.

Comment

Windsor also got a kid from Michigan who we thought might be one of ours. No one really knows the details, but windsor was very happy I can tell you.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The connection certainly gives good insight as to why he chose Denver. However I fail to see how just because his father played high school hockey with Steve Miller that it becomes a "lock" that he ends up there. Doesn't hurt that's for sure, but I'd never bet the farm. Especially with the way Windsor operates.
            I understand your skepticism, but you have to look at the kids DU recruits. We've never lost a recruit to major juniors even though MJ went hard after Joe Colborne & Drew Shore.

Almost every kid that gets a schollie from DU is a straight A student. Consequently, DU leads the WCHA All-Academic team by a wide margin every season. DU only has 18 full schollies, they don't give out partials because of the high cost of tuition & board ($50,000). So DU better be **** sure the kid wants to go there before they get an offer. DU biggest weakness (high cost of tuition) has caused them to become very savvy in handing out schollies.

Will Butcher is a very good student and the family relationship between Killer & the family is tighter than USHR lets on.

BTW: I've always been a huge fan of Chuck's posts, blog postings and incredible inside info.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 09-02-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I understand your skepticism, but you have to look at the kids DU recruits. We've never lost a recruit to major juniors even though MJ went hard after Joe Colborne & Drew Shore.
              No offense to DU, but it's only been a few years since Denver started landing "blue-chip" recruits again that were sought after by MJ. They may have gone hard after Colborne and Shore, but that's a pretty small sample size. If DU continues to land excellent recruiting classes, it won't be long before one of them bolts to the north (especially with how things were trending this year)...even with the angelic kids that DU recruits.

I agree with Chuck...Butcher may very well end up at DU due to the connection in SP, but I certainly wouldn't bet the farm with how aggressive MJ have gotten lately.
              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Almost every kid that gets a schollie from DU is a straight A student. Consequently, DU leads the WCHA All-Academic team by a wide margin every season. DU only has 18 full schollies, they don't give out partials because of the high cost of tuition & board ($50,000). So DU better be **** sure the kid wants to go there before they get an offer. DU biggest weakness (high cost of tuition) has caused them to become very savvy in handing out schollies.

Will Butcher is a very good student and the family relationship between Killer & the family is tighter than USHR lets on.

BTW: I've always been a huge fan of Chuck's posts, blog postings and incredible inside info.
                I hope you're right as selfishly I'd like to keep the best talent at the NCAA level. I just read Butchers quotes in that article in late May and don't feel as confident as you do. I find it hard to believe in the past 3+ months the kid has done such a complete 180 degree turn from these comments.

Some snippets:

“It’s not something I’ve crossed off my list,” said the 16-year-old Butcher

Windsor’s success with Americans like Cam Fowler, Kenny Ryan, Jack Campbell and Austin Watson has left the club with a good reputation.

“Those guys were all great players and did well,” Butcher said. “If they can, maybe I can.”

“I’m taking it year-by-year and we’ll see where I go,” said Butcher, who draws some comparisons to Fowler. “It’s got to be the right fit, no matter what it is.”

Exposed more to college hockey, Butcher said he knows about the OHL and Rychel helped fill him in on the program by sending a DVD highlighting the team’s two Memorial Cup run.

“That was really cool and fun to watch,” Butcher said. “That means a lot because Windsor’s a prestigious program.”

PS...thanks for the kind words DG, it's mutual.

Comment

Badgers land Kevin Schulze a defenseman who played for Hill Murray high school last year and will play with Muskegon in the USHL this year under former UW assistant Kevin Patrick.

Comment

Interviewed Schulze for Bucky's 5th Quarter on Labor Day. Hope you guys like it.

B5Q: You played for a perennial powerhouse with Hill Murray and made it to the State Tournament as a junior. Can you talk a little bit about the experience of playing in the tourney and at the Xcel Energy Center in front of a packed house as a high school kid?

Kevin Schulze: It was amazing, growing up watching the State Tournament on TV that's what I dreamed of and playing in it was great. It was almost surreal playing in front of so many people in the biggest game on my life.

B5Q: You were named a tri-captain for the Pioneers this past season. Is that something that you take pride in and can carry with you to the next level?

Schulze: "Yeah I definitely take pride in that and I think it helped a lot with getting some experience being the leader."

B5Q: Your team had an opportunity to play an outdoor game this year during Hockey Day Minnesota at Moorhead that was broadcast on FSN, a game that your squad won 3-2. How amazing was that day?

Schulze: "It was unbelievable. It felt like I was a little kid again playing pond hockey in my backyard with the neighborhood kids."

B5Q: Can you give us a little insight as to how long you had been talking to the Badgers and maybe if you took any visits to Madison, how that whole thing played out?

Schulze: "Well I first started talking to Coach Butters last winter after I emailed him and he came out to one of my practices for Hill-Murray. Then after the season I played in a tournament for seniors called the Great 8 and I was still in contact with Coach Butters and in early May I went out for a visit. Then I was in contact with both Coach Eaves and Coach Butters throughout the summer and this past week I decided I wouldn't want to go to any other college than Wisconsin!"

B5Q: Were there any other schools that you were considering and in the end, why did you feel that Wisconsin was going to be the right choice for you?

Schulze: "I had been talking with a couple other schools throughout the last couple of months, but after visiting Madison and talking with the coaches there I knew that Wisconsin was the perfect fit for me. Not only hockey wise but academically as well."

B5Q: Twice you were overlooked for a roster spot in the Upper Midwest High School Elite League despite playing key roles for one of the best high school teams in the state. Is that something you use as motivation?

Schulze: "After not making Elite I was pretty disappointed and yeah, I think that i use it as motivation to try to prove to people that I was good enough to play in that league. Looking back on it though, I'm kinda glad that I didn't make it because if I had I might not be in this position right now."

B5Q: You were drafted by Muskegon and will play for former Wisconsin assistant Kevin Patrick this season before coming to Madison in 2012. The USHL is a great development league for players. Are you excited about getting an opportunity to grow your game in the USHL?

Schulze: "I am really excited about playing in the USHL. It is the best stepping stone for players who want to play college hockey. The best thing about my situation in Muskegon is I have a coach who knows first hand what it is like being a part of the hockey program at Wisconsin, and I'm going to try to not only become a better player under him, but also to try to get as much information out of him of what it is like in Madison."

B5Q: Most fans haven’t had a chance to watch you play yet. Can you describe how you play the game, some of your strengths and some of the aspects of your game you’re looking to improve before becoming a Badger?

Schulze: "I would say that I am a play-making defenseman, I like to use my skating ability and my vision of the ice to make plays happen and set up my teammates. I think the biggest thing that I need to work on is my strength, and here in Muskegon I'm in a perfect position to do that with all of the knowledge the coaching staff has here and with the amazing facilities I have at my access to."

Comment

Badgers land Kevin Schulze a defenseman who played for Hill Murray high school last year and will play with Muskegon in the USHL this year under former UW assistant Kevin Patrick.
                      is the other kid off the radar now, I forget his name, the one who wanted to commit for next year instead of this season on defense?
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        is the other kid off the radar now, I forget his name, the one who wanted to commit for next year instead of this season on defense?
                        Eddie Wittchow?
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          If you're talking about Wittchow no, he's not off the radar now. With Springer graduating and Schultz a lock to go pro 2 defensemen need to be brought in. It could be Schulze and Tim Davison. Could be Schulze and Wittchow. Could be Schulze and a mystery man who knows at this point. Hell Ramage could easily sign as well and we might need to bring in 3.

Comment

If you're talking about Wittchow no, he's not off the radar now. With Springer graduating and Schultz a lock to go pro 2 defensemen need to be brought in. It could be Schulze and Tim Davison. Could be Schulze and Wittchow. Could be Schulze and a mystery man who knows at this point. Hell Ramage could easily sign as well and we might need to bring in 3.
                            Wittchow yes. well, I hope he's on-board along w/Mchoshen (sp?)
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Was in Blaine this weekend for the NAHL showcase and got to see Team Wisconsin as the Elite League was also playing there this weekend. Davison looked about the same as I've always seen him...quick, smooth, really good with the puck. Made a really nice play to step up and create an offensive two on one and had the patience to draw the defenseman to him to set up a teammate for a goal. He's going to need to play in the USHL next season IMO. He's got the skating and puck skills to step in to the Badgers next year but he's still got some growing to do and he needs to be more physical pushing guys around. Still think he's going to be a really solid player for Wisconsin some day.

Not many NAHL players will show up on our radar but I really liked Evan Janssen from Green Bay who now plays for Alaska. He centered their top line and really looked good. He's physical, decent wheels and can get his shot off quick. Shuey was watching his game and saw him score a really nice goal. May be a kid to keep an eye on.

Comment

Hi to all in the cardinal and white,

I picked up a really nice Badgers jersey in trade as part of a multi-jersey deal, but since I already have a couple Badgers jerseys in my collection I'm going to put this one up for sale - $1495 obo.

Up for sale is the game worn hockey jersey of former University of Wisconsin (WCHA) standout, NCAA Champion, current NHL superstar and Stanley Cup Champion - Adam Burish.   This Wisconsin native suited up for his hometown Badgers and brought Bucky a national championship the same year his sister did the same for the Badgers womens hockey program.   Following his successful college career Adam moved on to the Chicago Blackhawks organization where he promptly won a Stanley Cup in 2010 before being traded to the Dallas Stars last season.  

This jersey was worn during the 2003-04 season and features all sewn twill name (on nameplate), numbers and cresting with the embroidered NCAA tourney patch as well. The jersey has heavy marks on the front and sleeves as well as other various locations and eight team repairs - great overall wear! It is sized as 56 and branded as Adidas (SP manufactured and retagged per UW marketing / endorsement agreement).

This jersey would make a rare addition to any college collection.  How often to you see the college jersey of an NCAA Champion, Stanley Cup Champion and NHL superstar hit the market, much less the Wisconsin Badgers which are rare in their own right. Now roll that all into one jersey and that is what you have offered here.  

I will consider cash offers or game worn hockey jerseys in trade. 

Click on the images for larger versions in a new window.

Stats by hockeydb.com

Thanks for looking.

Adam Burish
                                Center
                                Born Jan 6 1983 -- Madison, WI
                                Height 6.00 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots R

Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 9 #282 overall 2002 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
                                Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                2001-02 Green Bay Gamblers USHL 61 24 33 57 122 1 0 0 0 0
                                2002-03 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 19 0 6 6 32
                                2003-04 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 43 6 13 19 63
                                2004-05 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 41 13 7 20 41
                                2005-06 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 42 9 24 33 67
                                2006-07 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 9 0 0 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
                                2006-07 Norfolk Admirals AHL 64 11 10 21 146 6 1 1 2 4
                                2007-08 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 81 4 4 8 214 -- -- -- -- --
                                2008-09 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 66 6 3 9 93 17 3 2 5 30
                                2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 13 1 3 4 14 15 0 0 0 2
                                2010-11 Dallas Stars NHL 63 8 6 14 91 -- -- -- -- --
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                NHL Totals 232 19 16 35 414 32 3 2 5 32

www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X