PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51

Chuck Schwartz
05-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Nope, but he would be a good fit for Wisco

It's been three weeks since you said UW had lined up a USHL defenseman for this upcoming season that was soon to be announced. Any more info you can give us on this mystery player?

Chuck Schwartz
05-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Fargo Force defenseman Taylor Fleming decommitted from Air Force.

Nolan Valleau from the Chicago Steel apparently decommitted from Ohio State as well.

Chuck Schwartz
05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
After just two Wisconsin bred players went in last years USHL futures draft, eight natives of the Badger state were selected last night. Of note, Gophers recruit Tom Novak (River Falls) was the top pick by Des Moines. Second round picks included Tarek Baker (Verona but plays Omaha U16) to Des Moines, Tony Stillwell (Green Bay Notre Dame) to Sioux City and Kevin Conley (Wausau West) to Youngstown.

Also of note, Brock Boeser (Burnsville) was the second player chosen overall and went to Sioux City. We've talked about him before, he's a premier target for the Badgers in the 2015 class. Vas Kolias, a defenseman out of the Chicago Mission program somehow slipped to the second round where he was selected by Indiana. He's another big time target for Wisconsin.

Chuck Schwartz
05-07-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm reporting today that Appleton native Cliff Watson is no longer committed to Ohio State. Played the past two seasons in the USHL with Sioux City. 2012 6th round draft pick of the San Jose Sharks.

thetruthhurts
05-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm reporting today that Appleton native Cliff Watson is no longer committed to Ohio State. Played the past two seasons in the USHL with Sioux City. 2012 6th round draft pick of the San Jose Sharks.

Bingo Chuck. There it is. I just assumed Wisco would be a strong possible destination for Watson, being a resident

I think Fleming would be a better fit for Wisco. Fleming would give them the an RH offensive power play guy who after a year would be there only returning RH defenseman, as both Faust and Simonelli graduate. Fleming would pair up/compliment with either McCabe or Whittcow Here are a couple of highlights of Fleming from the playoffs:

USHL Highlight: Waterloo vs. Fargo- Western Conference Finals, Game 3
http://www.kwwl.com/category/130142/video-landing-page?clipId=8796592&***************

USHL Highlight: Sioux Falls vs. Fargo- Western Conference Finals, Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Km5aLHGZ9g&list=UUfr23EAfBDuet8f4Yqsd8mQ&index=10

Even though Fleming has had to sit out 2 2/3 games in the playoffs, he is still the leading scoring defensemen in the playoff, +4 and is a key reason they won game 1 and game 3 of the West Conference Finals.

If Wisco is smart, they'll look at possible bring in both Fleming and Wattson, pushing back Davidson a year or two.

Chuck Schwartz
05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Bingo Chuck. There it is. I just assumed Wisco would be a strong possible destination for Watson, being a resident

I think Fleming would be a better fit for Wisco. Fleming would give them the an RH offensive power play guy who after a year would be there only returning RH defenseman, as both Faust and Simonelli graduate. Fleming would pair up/compliment with either McCabe or Whittcow

Even though Fleming has had to sit out 2 2/3 games in the playoffs, he is still the leading scoring defensemen in the playoff, +4 and is a key reason they won game 1 and game 3 of the West Conference Finals.

If Wisco is smart, they'll look at possible bring in both Fleming and Wattson, pushing back Davidson a year or two.

When you start doing stuff like that it gives you a read bad reputation in college hockey circles. Delaying a kid you recruited for 2013 a second year to bring in a currently uncommitted player? Doesn't go over well. Additionally, Wisconsin didn't offer Watson when he went through his original commitment, I'm not sure the staff is sold on him. Opinions can change, obviously, but he's not a must-have. If they could add Fleming for little or no scholarship, that might be another story.

thetruthhurts
05-07-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm not sold on Davidson. He really is not ready for college hockey and could/should play another year of juniors. At best he will be a 7/8 next year for Wisco and could end up being the odd man out.

I've watched Watson a lot in the last three year and can tell you he has made some significant gains. To bad he isn't a righty

Chuck Schwartz
05-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Wisconsin recruits Christian Dvorak, Peter Tischke and Matt Berkovitz have all received invites to USA Hockey Select 17's.

Other Wisconsin natives who have received invitations...

Select 17's:

Luke Davison -- Notre Dame Academy
Mason Appleton -- Notre Dame Academy
Charley Graaskamp -- Eau Claire Memorial

Select 16's:

Tony Stillwell -- Notre Dame Academy
Tarek Baker -- Omaha U16's (From Verona)
Kevin Conley -- Wausau West
Tanner Polglaze -- Beloit

Select 15's:

Bryce Mann -- Milwaukee Jr. Admirals 98's
Davis Bunz -- Middleton
Carver Watson -- Appleton
Cole Hults -- Madison Edgewood
Jacob Thousand -- Waunakee
John Vincent -- Milwaukee Jr. Admirals 98's

solovsfett
05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Chuck - is Davis Bunz the son of "Hi Gary" Gary Bunz??

badgerhawk
05-13-2013, 08:13 PM
also Chuck, is John Vincent any relation to Ron Vincent?

Chuck Schwartz
05-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Chuck - is Davis Bunz the son of "Hi Gary" Gary Bunz??

I don't know, but the timeline would make sense. His older brother was a senior at Middleton and was drafted by the Chicago Steel in the recent USHL Draft.

also Chuck, is John Vincent any relation to Ron Vincent?

I believe it's his son.

Timothy A
05-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Wisconsin recruits Christian Dvorak, Peter Tischke and Matt Berkovitz have all received invites to USA Hockey Select 17's.

Select 17's:

Select 16's:

Select 15's:

Davis Bunz -- Middleton
John Vincent -- Milwaukee Jr. Admirals 98's

Any of these guys local blue chippahs?

Chuck Schwartz
05-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Any of these guys local blue chippahs?

That term gets thrown around quite a bit these days but I'll say no, with the caveat that I haven't seen a lot of the kids who are advancing to 15's. Doesn't mean they aren't good players, I'm just not sure I'd consider them on that blue-chip level. The Thousand kid out of Waunakee is supposed to be the real deal and could advance to that level, I just haven't seen enough of him yet, but he was quite good when I saw him and led Team Wisconsin 98's in scoring by a large margin.

Out of the 16's and 17's, I'd be willing to bet Davison, Graaskamp, Stillwell, Baker and Conley play D1. I'd be surprised if at least one didn't end up in Madison. All great players, just not in that top, elite, blue-chip group. For what it's worth, I wouldn't trade any of Wisconsin's committed players in these age groups, Dvorak, Tischke, Linhart, Malone, Ford, Berkovitz for any of these available players.

turk181
05-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Select 17's:

Select 16's:

Select 15's:

Davis Bunz -- Middleton
John Vincent -- Milwaukee Jr. Admirals 98'sChuck, do you have a link to who was selected (other states) or was this personal info you're privy to. I haven't seen anything on USA Hockey for this yet.

MidwestSticks
05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Chuck, do you have a link to who was selected (other states) or was this personal info you're privy to. I haven't seen anything on USA Hockey for this yet.

Here you go. It's on the Central District site.

http://www.centraldistricthockey.org/

turk181
05-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Here you go. It's on the Central District site.

http://www.centraldistricthockey.org/thanks for the link....was actually looking for something from the east though.

Timothy A
05-14-2013, 11:24 PM
For what it's worth, I wouldn't trade any of Wisconsin's committed players in these age groups, Dvorak, Tischke, Linhart, Malone, Ford, Berkovitz for any of these available players.

Thanks for the opinion, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Chuck Schwartz
05-15-2013, 03:57 AM
Nothing in these last three posts will be seen much longer so let's move on to the new thread...

Chuck Schwartz

Chuck Schwartz