X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Badgers Land Penticton Vees Power Forward Jedd Soleway--LINK
    "Footspeed issues....a bull in a china shop mentality....won't be the guy offensively." Hmm, I want to be positive, it's hard. He is playing on the top line with a Rodent and a Whoiux, and is on a better team now, we'll have to see how it develops. Of course if he racks up a bunch of pts, how much will that be attributed to having 2 excellent linemates? Hey, at least he's from Canada, eh?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      "Footspeed issues....a bull in a china shop mentality....won't be the guy offensively." Hmm, I want to be positive, it's hard. He is playing on the top line with a Rodent and a Whoiux, and is on a better team now, we'll have to see how it develops. Of course if he racks up a bunch of pts, how much will that be attributed to having 2 excellent linemates? Hey, at least he's from Canada, eh?
      Kid had offers from Notre Dame and North Dakota and 20 other plus schools, and Badger fans don't want him?

Comment

I think some of you guys are a joke! Soleway will be a player that Wisconsin hasn't seen since the likes of Brad Winchester. A powerful forward that can score and play tough. He's one of the guys that will smack around the likes of Rau and other rodent players for years. The best part of reading these blogs is some of you guys really think you're hockey minds but in fact have no idea how the game is played. How do you know how Eaves treats his players? If you think he is whacked out then guys wouldn't be coming here and the talk around the leagues is Eaves can't coach.

Comment

Kid had offers from Notre Dame and North Dakota and 20 other plus schools, and Badger fans don't want him?
          I want him and I'm a Badger fan.

I will say though that just because everyone else wanted him doesn't mean he is going to be a world killer on the ice. Derek Lee is a prime example of that, and while he has had injury issues and didn't have much of a role on the 2009/10 team due to depth, he hasn't produced like I thought he would.
          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
          Originally posted by UWisco
          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
            I think some of you guys are a joke! Soleway will be a player that Wisconsin hasn't seen since the likes of Brad Winchester. A powerful forward that can score and play tough. He's one of the guys that will smack around the likes of Rau and other rodent players for years. The best part of reading these blogs is some of you guys really think you're hockey minds but in fact have no idea how the game is played. How do you know how Eaves treats his players? If you think he is whacked out then guys wouldn't be coming here and the talk around the leagues is Eaves can't coach.
            I personally am a fan of the Soleway pickup. Due to the un-even classes, the coaching staff is going to have to bring in 6-7 forwards for the 2014 class and Soleway is a good start. He'll also be able to come in early if Wisconsin loses Mersch, Zengerle, or a surprise departure up front.

Comment

I personally am a fan of the Soleway pickup. Due to the un-even classes, the coaching staff is going to have to bring in 6-7 forwards for the 2014 class and Soleway is a good start. He'll also be able to come in early if Wisconsin loses Mersch, Zengerle, or a surprise departure up front.
              Chuck, was he on UW's radar for a while? Anyone else close to signing for 2014?

Comment

I was simply stating what the radio guy of the team he formally played for said about him. As I said, we'll have to see how he develops. I do feel a bit better knowing that he had some offers from other bigtime schools. He's to hoping for a 120 pt career @ UW.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I had the same thoughts. He's completing his second year in the BCHL this season and could come in next year if needed and already has a good deal of experience at the Junior level.

Another thought for the thread...I think Eaves was trying to keep all or most Wisconsin Division I players in-state in the past and that didn't work out all that well. Over the past two years he's let a bunch of Wisconsin players commit elsewhere that he didn't feel were good enough to help UW, so I think he's learned a lesson. I also think having Soleway in line to potentially bring in next year shows the staff has learned to be better prepared for early defections rather than have to bring in a player directly from Wisconsin high school like they did with Navin.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                    Another thought for the thread...I think Eaves was trying to keep all or most Wisconsin Division I players in-state in the past and that didn't work out all that well. Over the past two years he's let a bunch of Wisconsin players commit elsewhere that he didn't feel were good enough to help UW, so I think he's learned a lesson.
                    I personally don't think he's changed his recruiting on in-state players. As you all know, he only gets 18 scholarships to work with. Some kids that didn't end up at UW were in consideration, but Wisconsin couldn't offer them enough $. Eaves strategy has always been to try and offset his full scholarships with in-state kids on partial scholarships since obviously in-state tuition (including Minnesota) is cheaper than out-of-state. It's just a matter of getting the right in-state players in. I did a (very) rough estimation of who's on what scholarship right now. Draw your own conclusions.

ROUGH estimate of what the scholarships might look like:
                    Full: Kerdiles, Zengerle, LaBate, Lee, Mersch, Zulinick, Woods, Ramage, McCabe, Simonelli, Rumpel.
                    3/4: Wittchow, Barnes, Navin, Faust
                    1/2: R. Little, S. Little, Dahl, Schulze, Paape, Drake, Peterson?
                    1/4: Hartzog, Meuer
                    Walk-on: Bell, Miller

In-state kid in bold.

edited to add: Eaves has four Wisconsinites in the pipeline committed. Linhart (14), Ford (14), Berkovitz (14 or 15), and Davison (13). All defensemen, ironically.
                    Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I personally don't think he's changed his recruiting on in-state players. As you all know, he only gets 18 scholarships to work with. Some kids that didn't end up at UW were in consideration, but Wisconsin couldn't offer them enough $. Eaves strategy has always been to try and offset his full scholarships with in-state kids on partial scholarships since obviously in-state tuition (including Minnesota) is cheaper than out-of-state. It's just a matter of getting the right in-state players in. I did a (very) rough estimation of who's on what scholarship right now. Draw your own conclusions.

ROUGH estimate of what the scholarships might look like:
                      Full: Kerdiles, Zengerle, LaBate, Lee, Mersch, Zulinick, Woods, Ramage, McCabe, Simonelli, Rumpel.
                      3/4: Wittchow, Barnes, Navin, Faust
                      1/2: R. Little, S. Little, Dahl, Schulze, Paape, Drake, Peterson?
                      1/4: Hartzog, Meuer
                      Walk-on: Bell, Miller

In-state kid in bold.

edited to add: Eaves has four Wisconsinites in the pipeline committed. Linhart (14), Ford (14), Berkovitz (14 or 15), and Davison (13). All defensemen, ironically.
                      In the past he stated he was going to put a fence around Wisconsin and not let kids commit elsewhere. Off the top of my head Michael Kapla, Ryan Dau, Garrett Clemment, Jason Ford, Tristan Rostagno and Joe Fiala have all committed elsewhere in the past couple years (I'm guessing Rostagno's commitment happened way before they thought it would happen). I think in the past they would have tried to bring many of those guys in. I think they've learned they can't keep them all here, they have to keep the right ones here.

Also, I don't think it's ironic that all the Wisconsin commits are defensemen. For reasons I haven't been able to figure out, we really don't produce a whole lot of offensively dynamic forwards in this state, and quite honestly there will be a dearth of decent forwards for at least a few more years. On the other hand, we do tend to produce some decent defensemen and that trend seems to be continuing.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                        In the past he stated he was going to put a fence around Wisconsin and not let kids commit elsewhere. Off the top of my head Michael Kapla, Ryan Dau, Garrett Clemment, Jason Ford, Tristan Rostagno and Joe Fiala have all committed elsewhere in the past couple years (I'm guessing Rostagno's commitment happened way before they thought it would happen). I think in the past they would have tried to bring many of those guys in. I think they've learned they can't keep them all here, they have to keep the right ones here.

Also, I don't think it's ironic that all the Wisconsin commits are defensemen. For reasons I haven't been able to figure out, we really don't produce a whole lot of offensively dynamic forwards in this state, and quite honestly there will be a dearth of decent forwards for at least a few more years. On the other hand, we do tend to produce some decent defensemen and that trend seems to be continuing.
                        No offense to any of those kids, but with the exception of maybe Rostagno...none would, or should have been pursued by Wisconsin. All d-1 worthy players obviously, but I don't see any misses here. Time will tell.
                        Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 12-20-2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

No offense to any of those kids, but with the exception of maybe Rostagno...none would, or should have been pursued by Wisconsin. All d-1 worthy players obviously, but I don't see any misses here. Time will tell.
                          I'm not saying they are misses, I'm saying UW has done the right thing recently by not pursuing every Wisconsin kid. In the past it seemed like they tried to get every single one of them to commit.

Comment

Originally posted by midwest hockey
                            They did miss on Rostagno. A big, physical defensemen that can skate and score. Their incoming D-group in 2015 could use that skill set.
                            They didn't miss, the kid jumped on an early offer from Tech. I liked him when I saw him play.

The difference between Tech and Wisconsin is that Tech has to make that offer when they did for a chance at a kid like that. Could he turn out to be great? Yes. Could he be a bust? Yes. Wisconsin doesn't (and shouldn't) offer in-state players that they aren't 100% are going to be elite college players while they're still in high school.

If Rostagno continues to progress, maybe Wisconsin would have offered. We'll never know.

I've written editorials in the past noting that I hate how early players make commitments to schools. Unless it's your dream school, there's no reason why you should limit your options so early. There are kids all the time who regret their original commitment when they do it so young. There's so much that can change.

If I had my way, there would be no gentleman's agreement. You recruit a player until he's signed a letter of intent. I honestly believe that we wouldn't be seeing as many early offers. Right now it's just a race to see who can get the kid first. If you know it's going to be a long haul, you might not be offering willy nilly to 14, or 15 year olds. I know for a fact the bigger schools won't be offering kids as young anymore.
                            Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 12-24-2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by midwest hockey
                              is UW 100% confident with their "smallish" D recruits? I've seen most of them play, and for the life of me, I can't understand how they could be. At least take a gamble on upside (once in awhile)! We need some strength and toughness on the blue line.
                              Apparently you haven't seen Peter Tischke (6'1, 190 pound 16 year old). Described as a man-strong defenseman. Keegan Ford may be short, but he's not small. His legs are like tree trunks. His lower half is built. He's physical, and willing to lay his body on the line. Linhart may not be big or physical, but his potential is through the roof. Berkivotz is more in the Linhart mold in terms of playing style, but he's another one with big upside who can grow into his frame. He's a thin 6'1, 170. What's he going to look like in 2-3 years when he's 18-19 in college?

These guys all have big upside. Linhart and Berkovitz are the play-making, skill guys. Tischke is the rock-solid guy. And Ford is a combination, all-around guy.

I have said here that I like Rostagno a lot, and I do think he eventually would have gotten an offer. He took what's on the table at Tech, that's his call.

Comment

Benilde (Grant Besse) is playing in the championship of their holiday tournament tonight at 7:30 vs #3 Wayzata. Should be a great match up. I believe it's going to be webcast on the http://www.mnhockeycenter.com/ for those who are interested in watching at least one future Badger, and possibly a few more.

Comment

Working...
                                X