PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51

Chuck Schwartz
04-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Any thoughts on who they might have offers out to and be waiting on Andy? I don't need facts, conjecture is entertainment enough in the offseason! Ryan Gropp maybe? Others?

Gropp is a safe assumption. Have a pretty good feeling they will end up with a forward out of the upcoming Minnesota HS senior class as well.

thetruthhurts
04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
A defenseman from the USHL for 2013-14

Chuck Schwartz
04-15-2013, 04:13 PM
A defenseman from the USHL for 2013-14

What does this mean?

thetruthhurts
04-15-2013, 05:24 PM
What does this mean?

soon to be announced...

Chuck Schwartz
04-15-2013, 05:28 PM
soon to be announced...

Feel free to e-mail me if you want andyjohnsonb5q@gmail.com

DPlaya
04-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Gropp is a safe assumption. Have a pretty good feeling they will end up with a forward out of the upcoming Minnesota HS senior class as well.

I'd like to see UW tap the Shattuck St. Mary's pipeline again soon.

Also, Tim Davison named Defenseman of the Week in the USHL (http://www.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=1726).

Buck 'em
04-15-2013, 10:46 PM
So, with Oz's departure from tOSU (so they can hire Gwoz?), what are the chances the Badgers have a shot at any of his recruits?

Chuck Schwartz
04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
So, with Oz's departure from tOSU (so they can hire Gwoz?), what are the chances the Badgers have a shot at any of his recruits?

Zach Stepan (cousin of Derek) is the one the Badgers would want, obviously.

To this day, I still don't know what happened there in his initial commitment. He wanted to be a Badger, and said so in an interview at one point very early in his recruiting process. Obviously things change but it was a surprising turn of events. I know Eaves wasn't happy when Derek said he was coming back, and then left a month later. But I don't know if he did anything to affect future relations. I don't believe Derek was at Wisconsin's pro camp this past summer.

Woods' departure would obviously open up a spot, although "thetruthhurts" seems to be hinting Eaves used the money on a USHL d-man. The only USHL d-man that jumps off the page right now (that isn't committed) is Gage Ausmus, from the NTDP, if you count that as USHL.

As I posted on twitter last night, another option for Woods' money would be Brady Shaw from the Surrey Eagles in the BCHL. Shaw was tied for second in the BCHL in points/game this year. 2nd in goals, 5th in total points. 6'2, 200 originally from Ottawa. 92 born. De-committed from Bentley over the weekend. Rumored to be going to Vermont, but we'll see.

Timothy A
04-16-2013, 07:58 AM

As I posted on twitter last night, another option for Woods' money would be Brady Shaw from the Surrey Eagles in the BCHL. Shaw was tied for second in the BCHL in points/game this year. 2nd in goals, 5th in total points. 6'2, 200 originally from Ottawa. 92 born. De-committed from Bentley over the weekend. Rumored to be going to Vermont, but we'll see.

A bigger player who can score, just what the Dr. ordered.

markwojo
04-16-2013, 09:51 AM

To this day, I still don't know what happened there in his initial commitment. He wanted to be a Badger, and said so in an interview at one point very early in his recruiting process. Obviously things change but it was a surprising turn of events. I know Eaves wasn't happy when Derek said he was coming back, and then left a month later. But I don't know if he did anything to affect future relations. I don't believe Derek was at Wisconsin's pro camp this past summer.

Woods' departure would obviously open up a spot, although "thetruthhurts" seems to be hinting Eaves used the money on a USHL d-man. The only USHL d-man that jumps off the page right now (that isn't committed) is Gage Ausmus, from the NTDP, if you count that as USHL.

When Derek departed...there was a degree of acrimony. Not sure how much, but hopefully enough water under the bridge that that could be a viable option. Anyone know if Stepan has signed a LOI as that makes it more complicated and perhaps even emencely more in that both OSU and UW are B6 conference members as transfers in other sports within the conference are much more complicated?

thetruthhurts
04-16-2013, 10:24 AM
When Derek departed...there was a degree of acrimony. Not sure how much, but hopefully enough water under the bridge that that could be a viable option. Anyone know if Stepan has signed a LOI as that makes it more complicated and perhaps even emencely more in that both OSU and UW are B6 conference members as transfers in other sports within the conference are much more complicated?

signed:

http://collegespun.com/national/osu-hockey-announces-three-commits#.UW1fTY5rqn0

sweatpants
04-19-2013, 10:27 AM

If that's what he wants Ohio St. would likely release him from his LOI as schools are pretty understanding when there's a coaching change. And this wouldn't be handled as a transfer. He would be considered an incoming freshman and able to play right away. The exact same situation happened to UW basketball player Ben Brust a few years ago. He signed a LOI to Iowa, Iowa fired coach, Iowa released him from LOI, Brust signed with Wisconsin. Now if Stepan played a year at Ohio St. and wanted to transfer to UW after the season, per Big Ten rules he would have to pay his own way the first year and then be on scholarship in subsequent years.
The previous Big Ten rule was that a player could not transfer within the conference and be on scholarship at any point at his new school. This was changed last year.

Chuck Schwartz
04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
If that's what he wants Ohio St. would likely release him from his LOI as schools are pretty understanding when there's a coaching change. And this wouldn't be handled as a transfer. He would be considered an incoming freshman and able to play right away. The exact same situation happened to UW basketball player Ben Brust a few years ago. He signed a LOI to Iowa, Iowa fired coach, Iowa released him from LOI, Brust signed with Wisconsin. Now if Stepan played a year at Ohio St. and wanted to transfer to UW after the season, per Big Ten rules he would have to pay his own way the first year and then be on scholarship in subsequent years.
The previous Big Ten rule was that a player could not transfer within the conference and be on scholarship at any point at his new school. This was changed last year.

I don't think you explained the Brust situation correctly. The Big Ten treats a letter of intent as if you're with the school. Brust had to petition the conference and was initially denied. Then two big then schools had to petition the league for his full release to another big ten school.

Hockey27
04-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Darkhorse for Stepan.....MSU Mankato Good friends with Teddy Blueger a current maverick

sweatpants
04-20-2013, 01:30 AM
I don't think you explained the Brust situation correctly. The Big Ten treats a letter of intent as if you're with the school. Brust had to petition the conference and was initially denied. Then two big then schools had to petition the league for his full release to another big ten school.

Nah I just didn't include all the drama because it doesn't pertain to the present circumstances. The Big Ten rules are different now. If Brust was in the same situation today he wouldn't have any problem.

Chuck Schwartz
04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Badgers are bringing in Soleway to fill Woods' spot according to Baggot.

solovsfett
04-22-2013, 10:30 PM

good move. sounds like Soleway plays a style similar to Woods

Timothy A
04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
good move. sounds like Soleway plays a style similar to Woods Who can score, he averaged almost a pt per game in the bchl.

Gandalf the Red
04-23-2013, 02:16 PM

I think this is a really good decision by Eaves, he is a huge body and the team could use that even if he doesn't pour in a lot of scoring, which he certainly has the potential to do.

Kind of wish they had the room for another dman and a top caliber one was sitting out there just waiting for UW to call: day dreaming.

Chuck Schwartz
04-23-2013, 02:58 PM
I think this is a really good decision by Eaves, he is a huge body and the team could use that even if he doesn't pour in a lot of scoring, which he certainly has the potential to do.

Kind of wish they had the room for another dman and a top caliber one was sitting out there just waiting for UW to call: day dreaming.

Well, Gage Ausmus is pretty darn good and still sitting out there.