PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51

herbst20
04-10-2013, 03:43 PM
He's only a sophomore in high school right now, which is obviously impressive for how well he's playing in the USHL. I interviewed his coach a month or so back and he said they talked about accelerating him but decided against it.

I have seen Malone a number of times this year and he definitely has all the tools. He needs to physically mature before making the jump to Wisky. J like his game alot and wouldnt not be surprised he is top 5 in points in the USHL his last year in Dubuque.

Chuck Schwartz
04-10-2013, 11:08 PM
I have seen Malone a number of times this year and he definitely has all the tools. He needs to physically mature before making the jump to Wisky. J like his game alot and wouldnt not be surprised he is top 5 in points in the USHL his last year in Dubuque.

When I went to go watch him play earlier this year he was like a wild colt. You could see that he might be the most naturally gifted forward on the roster, but it's going to take some coaching to fine tune some things. Great staff in Dubuque is a good place to start, provided Monty doesn't get the job at Maine. He's going to be a really fun player to watch and puts everything on the line, every single shift.

thetruthhurts
04-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Kind off subject, but would tie into recruiting.

What are the chances long time DU associate coach and WI native Steve Miller might be interested in the WI position? Isn't he the primary recruiter for DU and works with the D?

Something tells me Gwoz will not be coaching this year and if he was, Miller probably would follow.

If Appert or Lalond are offered the DU job, I think he stays on.

If Brown or Montgomery get the job, I think he may consider going else where.

Your thoughts??

Timothy A
04-12-2013, 12:53 PM

What are the chances long time DU associate coach and WI native Steve Miller might be interested in the WI position? Isn't he the primary recruiter for DU and works with the D?

Something tells me Gwoz will not be coaching this year and if he was, Miller probably would follow.

Your thoughts??

He may be interested, why not? And if so, Eaves would be fairly foolish not to hire him, though Walsh did a great job with the D last year. UW's biggest weakness right now is in recruiting. We all agree if Gwoz sits out a year, Miller can't unless Gwoz pays him himself.

Chuck Schwartz
04-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Your thoughts??

I don't believe it's an option. 99% sure.

Timothy A
04-13-2013, 06:47 AM
I don't believe it's an option. 99% sure.

Why the 99% sure? Miller needs a job and UW needs a coach. He's kinda be dumb not to apply, and at least entertain an offer if it comes his way. It isn't like there's a lot of college coaching openings out there, unless he wants to broaden his horizons and get into coaching at a professional level.

Wisconsin Hockey: Fishing for info

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Have we discussed GB-Notre Dame forward Brett Gruber in this forum?

Or would he be on the radar after he goes to the USHL?

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Why the 99% sure? Miller needs a job and UW needs a coach. He's kinda be dumb not to apply, and at least entertain an offer if it comes his way. It isn't like there's a lot of college coaching openings out there, unless he wants to broaden his horizons and get into coaching at a professional level.

Wisconsin Hockey: Fishing for info

A source had told me he wasn't interested. Granted, things can change since this was just a day or so after Gwoz was fired. But that's what I was told

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2013, 09:19 AM

He's on the radar, trust me. He's already taken (at least) one unofficial visit.

thetruthhurts
04-13-2013, 02:49 PM
A source had told me he wasn't interested. Granted, things can change since this was just a day or so after Gwoz was fired. But that's what I was told

Would have been the right thing to say, at that time.

But now, it looks like Gwoz will be a color commentator for next. Montgomery is rumored to have the Denver job. There is a good chance Miller will be offered a job next year to stay on, to help with the transition. Or he may have such a bad taste in his mouth for anything associated with DU and would jump at the opportunity to step in at Wisco, doing what he has been doing for the last 18-19 years.

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Would have been the right thing to say, at that time.

But now, it looks like Gwoz will be a color commentator for next. Montgomery is rumored to have the Denver job. There is a good chance Miller will be offered a job next year to stay on, to help with the transition. Or he may have such a bad taste in his mouth for anything associated with DU and would jump at the opportunity to step in at Wisco, doing what he has been doing for the last 18-19 years.

Miller is not staying at Denver. That I can say 100%. He's loyal to Gwoz.

And you're right, things definitely could have changed with Miller. Obviously he's outstanding and would be a great fit.

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Miller is not staying at Denver. That I can say 100%. He's loyal to Gwoz.

And you're right, things definitely could have changed with Miller. Obviously he's outstanding and would be a great fit.

And I'm 100% wrong. Miller is staying at Denver to be an assistant on Montgomery's staff according to the Denver Post.

Don't mind me, I'm just banging my head into my desk.

solovsfett
04-13-2013, 05:02 PM
why not keep Walsh? I thought he did a great job w/the D

man did Maine totally screw up by not chasing Jim Montgomery. he's a good up and coming coach, is a Black Bear alum etc

Chuck Schwartz
04-13-2013, 05:31 PM
why not keep Walsh? I thought he did a great job w/the D

man did Maine totally screw up by not chasing Jim Montgomery. he's a good up and coming coach, is a Black Bear alum etc

Pretty subjective to account what he did with the defense this season since it's not like people are watching practice or anything. Nor was the defense the problem at the start of the season. Guys on the team seem to like him, but we don't have any clue what kind of recruiter he is. Maybe he's great? Who knows. If he's the best option he'll get the job full time. If Steve Miller was available though, you have to get him if he'll come. Oh well.

DPlaya
04-13-2013, 10:10 PM

Gruber has said he's playing for Notre Dame Academy next season, so they would probably be looking at him for 2015-2016...

Chuck Schwartz
04-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Did a quick update on the committed recruits LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisconsin-badgers-mens-hockey/2013/4/14/4224954/wisconsin-hockey-recruiting-recap)

Will be doing individual profiles starting this week on everyone.

DPlaya
04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
They are probably looking at bringing in 6 forwards for the 2014 class. The only one locked in right now is Jedd Soleway out of Penticton. Christian Dvorak can be a 2014 as well, and if he continues on this pace I think he will be. They are clearly waiting on some top end kids right now in that class before they put out other offers. I don't mind them waiting one bit. Can't afford to settle on second class recruits.

Any thoughts on who they might have offers out to and be waiting on Andy? I don't need facts, conjecture is entertainment enough in the offseason! Ryan Gropp maybe? Others?

Bonin21
04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Ryan Gropp maybe?
Probably safe to say everybody wants this kid.

thetruthhurts
04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Chuck, you may want to start paying closer attention to my posts.....

Remember our pre-season discussion on my opinion of Reilly vs Schulze?

Chuck Schwartz
04-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Chuck, you may want to start paying closer attention to my posts.....

Remember our pre-season discussion on my opinion of Reilly vs Schulze?

Not sure what it has to do with Wisconsin recruiting.