PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

midwest hockey
03-08-2013, 08:06 AM
They split in Blaine when they played at the NAHL Future Prospects Tourney (Team Wisconsin won that tournament), and the Mission beat TW, 3-2, in OT at the World Hockey Invite in Chicago. If those two match up in Fondy it will be must-see hockey. Both teams are loaded, especially if Wisconsin has a healthy Brett Gruber who missed most of the fall with various injuries.

TW16s also missed Will Reabe for nearly the entire year (he should be back now). That was a very big loss, because he brought some real grit to the offense. Easy to forget at this point, but Novak was also on this team and quit after the first weekend. TW really has the most talent in this tourney (and Central districts are loaded), but have a real disadvantage because the other teams have played together all year. TW hasn't played a game together since November. If everything holds, TW plays Mission on Saturday and St. Louis on Sunday.

Chuck Schwartz
03-08-2013, 01:14 PM
TW16s also missed Will Reabe for nearly the entire year (he should be back now). That was a very big loss, because he brought some real grit to the offense. Easy to forget at this point, but Novak was also on this team and quit after the first weekend. TW really has the most talent in this tourney (and Central districts are loaded), but have a real disadvantage because the other teams have played together all year. TW hasn't played a game together since November. If everything holds, TW plays Mission on Saturday and St. Louis on Sunday.

Forgot about Novak being on the roster. What's the story behind him quitting?

Chuck Schwartz
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Grant Besse named 2013 Minnesota Mr. Hockey. No surprise there.

IndianaBadger1995
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I am super excited to see Besse play for the cardinal and white :) Where do you guys think he will be placed in the lineup next year?

SatNightFever
03-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Grant Besse named 2013 Minnesota Mr. Hockey. No surprise there.

Was this a kid that Minnesota passed on or did he pick Wisconsin over the Gophers...just kind of surprised that he's coming to Madtown, but very excited...

Congrats Grant...welcome!

Chuck Schwartz
03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Was this a kid that Minnesota passed on or did he pick Wisconsin over the Gophers...just kind of surprised that he's coming to Madtown, but very excited...

He did not have an offer from Minnesota.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
He did not have an offer from Minnesota.They knew it was a lost cause! :)

mnstate0fhockey
03-11-2013, 12:42 PM

Gophers got commitments from Cammarata, Guertler, Fasching, and Lettieri right around the same time. And I think they expected to get at least one commitment from Hurley, Poganski, and Gersich (they got none). So, like Andy said, the Gophers never offered Besse.

In hindsight, I think they probably should have offered Besse, but I don't know any of the details about which schools Besse was interested in and if the Gophers were one. Like someone else said, it may not have mattered any way if he had his mind set on Wisconsin.

goldy_331
03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
I am super excited to see Besse play for the cardinal and white :) Where do you guys think he will be placed in the lineup next year?

On the bench. Eaves has no use for offensive forwards.

markwojo
03-11-2013, 02:27 PM
On the bench. Eaves has no use for offensive forwards.

You do realize Mersch has more goals then any rodent does this year and Zengerle had more points then any rodent last year? The problem isn't that Eaves has no use for offensive forwards, it's that he is always short one or two to have the proper scoring depth needed to having a well balanced team (the exceptions being '06 and '10).

IndianaBadger1995
03-12-2013, 09:38 AM
You do realize Mersch has more goals then any rodent does this year and Zengerle had more points then any rodent last year? The problem isn't that Eaves has no use for offensive forwards, it's that he is always short one or two to have the proper scoring depth needed to having a well balanced team (the exceptions being '06 and '10).

Spot on. Too many good players leave Wisconsin early for them to be competitive every single year. Even the goofs have had trouble with this and probably will soon again (see Bjugstad this summer). I wish college hockey would have a system more like the NFL. Players can't be drafted until they leave college or if they plan to play right out of high school.

Gandalf the Red
03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Spot on. Too many good players leave Wisconsin early for them to be competitive every single year. Even the goofs have had trouble with this and probably will soon again (see Bjugstad this summer). I wish college hockey would have a system more like the NFL. Players can't be drafted until they leave college or if they plan to play right out of high school.

I think everyone fundamentally agrees with you about the draft, but the reality is the level of talent in NCAA Hockey would tumble as ALL the top players would head to the CHL. Like the PWR being discussed in the other thread, the rules are the same for all teams, it just appears that some of them (UND, BC, DU) are better at dealing w/ it yearly than Mike Eaves who quite hasn't been able to equalize his teams and talent.

Chuck Schwartz
03-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Three Wisconsin natives have been invited to the NTDP Evaluation Camp later this month. They are: Kevin Conley (Wausau West HS), Tarek Baker (from Verona, plays for Omaha U16), and Tommy Novak (Originally from St. Paul, lives in River Falls, plays for St. Thomas Academy).

Novak is the prize, but I think all three have pretty decent upside as D1 kids.

TJbadgerfan
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Three Wisconsin natives have been invited to the NTDP Evaluation Camp later this month. They are: Kevin Conley (Wausau West HS), Tarek Baker (from Verona, plays for Omaha U16), and Tommy Novak (Originally from St. Paul, lives in River Falls, plays for St. Thomas Academy).

Novak is the prize, but I think all three have pretty decent upside as D1 kids.Is it just a coincidence that there is another Michael Davies from St. louis?

Chuck Schwartz
03-14-2013, 01:40 AM
Is it just a coincidence that there is another Michael Davies from St. louis?

Thought about that last year when I first heard of the kid. I honestly have no idea, but it's kind of funny.

Timothy A
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I was watching the WIAA D1 championship game and Thomas Aiken got a ton of love. Apparently he's qualified to go to Harvard, but I didn't get the feeling he was locked in there, thought I was not watching intently either. So what is the backstory with Thomas and UW?

Chuck Schwartz
03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
I was watching the WIAA D1 championship game and Thomas Aiken got a ton of love. Apparently he's qualified to go to Harvard, but I didn't get the feeling he was locked in there, thought I was not watching intently either. So what is the backstory with Thomas and UW?

In terms of hockey? None that I know of.

Timothy A
03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
In terms of hockey? None that I know of. Yeah, I was wondering if he was on their radar at all. Have you seen him play?

Chuck Schwartz
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if he was on their radar at all. Have you seen him play?

No, but everything I've heard about him is that he's an impressive young man. Led the state in scoring as a defenseman with over 50 points. But, he's a 5'9, 160 pound defenseman. He could play a few years of junior hockey and POSSIBLY earn a spot to play D1 somewhere, but I'd take the opportunity to get the Harvard education if I were him.

Chuck Schwartz
03-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Tommy Novak from St. Thomas Academy (River Falls) commits to Minnesota.