This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Not sure if you guys remember, but I posted about seeing '14 defense recruit Peter Tischke injuring his knee a few weeks back. I spoke with him tonight and it sounds like he's almost back.

"Almost back to 100%. Started skating last Tue and played a few games last weekend." That's what he told me. He said it was a quad contusion, which is incredibly painful...but great news. It could have been much worse if he would have torn knee ligaments. The hit was nasty (knee on knee), so this is really good news.

I had the same exact injury, and it happened in the exact same spot on the ice (coming around the net in the d-zone), and I know how painful it was. I couldn't straighten my leg for a month. But like I said, he should be fine soon.

Comment

Ashwaubenon, WI defenseman Matt Berkovitz has committed to the University of Wisconsin. 6'1, 170 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        Ashwaubenon, WI defenseman Matt Berkovitz has committed to the University of Wisconsin. 6'1, 170 pounds.
        I don't recall reading about him previously, have you seen him play?
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Chuck, do you know why we have been avoiding Canadian recruits? Did we lose a scout/coach that had a pipeline up there? It seems like the number of Canadians on the team has been dropping each year.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
            Chuck, do you know why we have been avoiding Canadian recruits? Did we lose a scout/coach that had a pipeline up there? It seems like the number of Canadians on the team has been dropping each year.
            Overall, I think the state of WI doesn't produce a lot of top end college talent. WI produces quality guys who contribute throughout the line-up, but the top 6 point getters are not from WI. If you look at the top 6 scorers from the last 5 years, 7 out of the 30 players have hailed from WI. In my head, as large the pool of players is in Canada, UW needs to land a mix if these guys, along with some rodents to get the right balance.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Oz used to recruit Western Canada.

He was up there all the time back when I used to know him.

Not sure if anyone else is doing it now.

Comment

I don't think we're avoiding it. I can tell you for a FACT that Gary Shuchuk has made multiple trips up to western Canada in fact he was just up there a few weeks ago for the BCHL showcase. Sometimes that's just the way things work out. Wisconsin has been killing it in the Chicago AAA area lately. Which kid is more likely to bolt for major junior, a kid out of Chicago or a kid out of Canada. Sometimes you have to be smart about the kids you're bringing in. It's ok to take a risk or two here and there, but the Badgers have had a lot of success recently with kids from Illinois and within the state of Wisconsin. There is nothing to be concerned about.

Comment

I don't think we're avoiding it. I can tell you for a FACT that Gary Shuchuk has made multiple trips up to western Canada in fact he was just up there a few weeks ago for the BCHL showcase. Sometimes that's just the way things work out. Wisconsin has been killing it in the Chicago AAA area lately. Which kid is more likely to bolt for major junior, a kid out of Chicago or a kid out of Canada. Sometimes you have to be smart about the kids you're bringing in. It's ok to take a risk or two here and there, but the Badgers have had a lot of success recently with kids from Illinois and within the state of Wisconsin. There is nothing to be concerned about.
                  I was more curious than concerned and I thought you would be the one to ask on this. Couple more questions for you on recruiting, how did UW find Niki Siren and Bruckler? Same goes with the Finn on the gophs? Are these kids that come over and play in the USHL? I know the European players are tricky, because in Sweden they have there 17/18 year olds on the club U18 teams play up in the Elitserien for a couple games and that means they can't play college hockey. I had talked with a guy in Sweden who is good friends with Carl Hagelin's dad and he made it seem it was him wanting an American experience (the guy was hammered in the stands at a Bandy game, so who knows).

Going back to Gurtholfin's comment, I had a feeling Oz had a strong presence in BC/Alberta.

Comment

I was more curious than concerned and I thought you would be the one to ask on this. Couple more questions for you on recruiting, how did UW find Niki Siren and Bruckler? Same goes with the Finn on the gophs? Are these kids that come over and play in the USHL? I know the European players are tricky, because in Sweden they have there 17/18 year olds on the club U18 teams play up in the Elitserien for a couple games and that means they can't play college hockey. I had talked with a guy in Sweden who is good friends with Carl Hagelin's dad and he made it seem it was him wanting an American experience (the guy was hammered in the stands at a Bandy game, so who knows).

Going back to Gurtholfin's comment, I had a feeling Oz had a strong presence in BC/Alberta.
                    Siren and Bruckler happened before I started following recruiting closely. Haula from Minnesota came over and played at Shattuck Prep in Minnesota so that's where the Gophers saw him play. He later played in the USHL.

Comment

Bruckler played with the Tri City Storm in the USHL before coming to UW. Not sure when he was recruited relative to moving from Graz, but there you have it.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Isn't Shuchuck from Western Canada? I'm guessing he has roots there but is just taking time to get in all the niches that Oz had.

And Chuck is right, when you can pull 4 kids from just south of here who are top notch talents there is nothing to worry about.

I know nothing about this new recruit though. Might have to check Ashwauebon's schedule.
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                          Isn't Shuchuck from Western Canada? I'm guessing he has roots there but is just taking time to get in all the niches that Oz had.

And Chuck is right, when you can pull 4 kids from just south of here who are top notch talents there is nothing to worry about.

I know nothing about this new recruit though. Might have to check Ashwauebon's schedule.
                          Shuey is from the Edmonton area. He's got some good connections up there.

Comment

My point of view is that unless a player from Canada projects to be a clear top 6 forward or top 4 D from day one, given the out of state tuition it isn't really cost effective (in terms of scholarship money) in bringing in Canadians to be role players. IIRC, it takes about 1/3 a scholarship to get the cost of attendance for someone paying out of state tuition down to what someone from WI pays with in-state tuition (or any state provided that tuition reciprocity exists). Given that teams only get 18 scholarships and have ~25 players on a roster, you have to use tuition money as effectively as possible.

Comment

Wisconsin has been killing it in the Chicago AAA area lately. There is nothing to be concerned about.
                              Until I see these AAA Chicago felles rip it up in college for UW, I'll be a bit on the doubtful side on their talent, but I wouldn't use the word "concerned", just maybe paranoid?

Would you equate playing at the level of AAA to that of the BCHL?
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Until I see these AAA Chicago felles rip it up in college for UW, I'll be a bit on the doubtful side on their talent, but I wouldn't use the word "concerned", just maybe paranoid?

Would you equate playing at the level of AAA to that of the BCHL?
                                Someone else can probably answer this a tad more concisely, but from my prespective, AAA is the minor leagues for the USHL. All of these kids are going to end up on the USHL for a year or two after playing AAA hockey before coming to UW. I think Seamus Malone is playing in Dubuque this season.

The BCHL is a good league, and UW has had some great players from there the last 5+ years, but the USHL is better IMO (and getting better every year), and the AAA Midget Major hockey feeds that.

It is fair to be paranoid, there is no sure formula for recruiting, but I think Eaves has done a great job of getting top "local" talent. I'm sure the BCHL train will arrive w/ more talent for UW in the future.
                                Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                                Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                                Originally posted by UWisco
                                It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Working...
                                X