PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Gandalf the Red
02-23-2013, 01:57 PM
yes, Turris stood out greatly. His passing skills were so far above his teammates it was embarrassing. he may have gotten pushed around but he was miles ahead of his teammates in terms of passing skill (and we would have seen the scoring as well if his teammates would have been able to set him up like he set them up)

I mean 1/2 the time the UW players couldn't handle his passes as they were 2 pages behind him

If it had translated into success I might agree to you, but overall he wasn't anything all the special his freshman year especially w/ any consistency. Great players make other players around them better, and Turris did not do that IMO. He was too busy get bumped by opposing mascots and falling to the ice. (that last sentence is sarcasm for those of you who are unable to figure that out)

solovsfett
02-23-2013, 02:14 PM
If it had translated into success I might agree to you, but overall he wasn't anything all the special his freshman year especially w/ any consistency. Great players make other players around them better, and Turris did not do that IMO. He was too busy get bumped by opposing mascots and falling to the ice. (that last sentence is sarcasm for those of you who are unable to figure that out)

I think great players do make others around them better (see Heatley, Dany and Reinprect, Steven making David Hukalo better)
what that means for the current UW squad is this: there are no great players on this team. not one guy is elevating others play with his own skill and talent.

but back to Turris. while he wasn't a 50point freshman (wild expectation), I did see a lot from him. in every game I saw he made passes that showed he was out thinking his own team as the guys were almost always a 1/2 step behind where they needed to be OR the pass would be there and they'd be surprised it was there. I wish I had videos to post because it really was glaring

Chuck - thanks for the updates, that section in Minnesota would wipe ice with the top 10 teams in Wisconsin. sad but true. I won't be able to tune in but I will be steaming all the games in the finals

Chuck Schwartz
02-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Benilde beat Eden Prairie so they'll move on to the section finals Wednesday at Mariucci vs Wayzata.

markwojo
02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Two blue-chip Canadian kids to keep an eye on: Tanner MacMaster (Camrose, AJHL), & Ryan Gropp (Penticton, BCHL). Both were first round picks in the WHL draft but appear to possibly be headed NCAA.

Tanner MacMaster committed to BC :(

Chuck Schwartz
02-28-2013, 03:58 PM

Yeah, good player.

On a side note, Benilde lost last night so Grant Besse's high school career is over. Rumblings that he's going to finish the season with Omaha who owns his USHL rights, but that hasn't been confirmed. I know they are bringing in UND recruit Shane Gersich for at least this weekend. Would be a great opportunity for Besse to play at a higher level.

Innova
02-28-2013, 04:23 PM
So, I'm sure I could look it up somewhere, but Chuck or someone will probably know this off the top of their head. But I am taking the family to the Gamblers game on Sunday against the US U18 team. Any recruits/prospects I should keep my eyes on?

solovsfett
02-28-2013, 05:36 PM

how big of a loss is this? was UW seriously in the running?

I'm wondering if recruits may begin shunning UW due to their 5 out of 7 years out of the NCAA's.

Wisko McBadgerton
02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
So, I'm sure I could look it up somewhere, but Chuck or someone will probably know this off the top of their head. But I am taking the family to the Gamblers game on Sunday against the US U18 team. Any recruits/prospects I should keep my eyes on?

Innova, it would be interesting to have you go in blind, grab a program and tell us next week if you thought there were any standouts. An untainted opinion on if someone really impresses would be kind of fun.

Innova
02-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Innova, it would be interesting to have you go in blind, grab a program and tell us next week if you thought there were any standouts. An untainted opinion on if someone really impresses would be kind of fun.

I accept your mission.

MadCityRich
02-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Here's the list (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&key=0AoPLTHefMmmTdGloMlVH***GNldvRHR3aG9naW82cEE&hl=en&gid=4) of the team and what colleges they are headed to....click on "US National" if it takes you to the main page

I got this, bro'......"Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.

Make sure that you have the correct URL and that the owner of the file hasn't deleted it."

DPlaya
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Yeah...copied the link directly from Heisenberg's site, but it won't link correctly...Not sure if that's because it's a google doc or what. Maybe just cut and paste this into your browser...click on "US National" if it takes you to the main page.

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&key=0AoPLTHefMmmTdGloMlVH***GNldvRHR3aG9naW82cEE&hl=en&gid=0

Chuck Schwartz
02-28-2013, 09:01 PM

I'm wondering if recruits may begin shunning UW due to their 5 out of 7 years out of the NCAA's.

Hard to blame any staff for losing out on a recruit to Jerry York and BC.

PS...Besse will be joining Omaha in the USHL the rest of the season I spoke with his coach tonight for an update article I'm doing on him. Hopefully will get all the recruits in the next couple weeks.

DoorCtyBadgers
03-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Could be part of the problem most want to go where they can play in the tournament, plus looking at 8000 empty seats doesn't help, and now they can read in the local papers and blogs that the fans are ****ed at what is happening right now....it is time to right the ship

Timothy A
03-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Size of loss....I think it's huge, UW desperately needs some blue chippahs F's, though losing out to BC isn't terrible as Chuck pointed out. At least he's out east and not in a rodent or sue uni, though I guess if UW loses out to the sue it's not that big a deal being in a different conference.

Shunning....who knows. If Eaves is a good salesman, he can sell the program despite his record of success. He can sell how many guys he's put in the nhl, and that a great selling point for him.

Thinking ahead to the b6 conference, what are the recruiting grounds for UM, M St and OSU? I know OSU somewhat recruits where UW does in Canada, but what about UM and M St? You hardly ever read of a guy who was interested in UW was also interested in UM or M St.

Chuck Schwartz
03-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Thinking ahead to the b6 conference, what are the recruiting grounds for UM, M St and OSU? I know OSU somewhat recruits where UW does in Canada, but what about UM and M St? You hardly ever read of a guy who was interested in UW was also interested in UM or M St.

Ohio State has been recruiting Wisconsin and Minnesota hard lately. Michigan is always heavy on NTDP kids with that in their back yard. Michigan State recruits its own state well and has been loading up on really young (98 born) blue chippers over the past few weeks.

Timothy A
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Ohio State has been recruiting Wisconsin and Minnesota hard lately. Michigan is always heavy on NTDP kids with that in their back yard. Michigan State recruits its own state well and has been loading up on really young (98 born) blue chippers over the past few weeks.

Thanks for the info. It kinda p/o's me Oz is using what he built for UW for himself at OSU, but one can't expect him just to break those connections all because he left UW. It still is irritating.

WisconsinWildcard
03-01-2013, 04:28 PM
(98 born) blue chippers

Well that just makes me feel old and unaccomplished.

Wisko McBadgerton
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
It's always dissapointing to lose out on a true high end recruit. It's probably been discussed before, but I find the recent recruiting losses to BC to be way less disappointing than losing out on this kid (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=121954) to Maine. There's really no excuse.

Who even cares if he can play?

bucky15
03-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Andy, what is the story with Verona's Zac Keryluk and ECM's Charley Graaskamp? Are there two Wisco HS kids being looked at by any D1 schools or MJ?

TJbadgerfan
03-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Andy, what is the story with Verona's Zac Keryluk and ECM's Charley Graaskamp? Are there two Wisco HS kids being looked at by any D1 schools or MJ?Is Zac related to former Badger Ken Keryluk.