This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

The University of Minnesota announced today that sophomore-to-be forward Max Gardiner has left school to play junior hockey next year. Gardiner's most likely destinations would be the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the USHL, after Dubuque took him in the USHL Draft this past Monday, or playing for the Tri-City Americans in the WHL.

Gardiner struggled in his only season of college hockey after coming to Minnesota straight from Minnesota high school hockey and was woefully under-prepared for the rigors of college hockey. He was a late addition to the team after forward Josh Birkholz left the team over the summer while facing a suspension.

Gardiner's struggles highlight just how hard it can be for an 18-year-old coming directly from high school hockey. Some people in the hockey world aren't necessarily thrilled that a year of two of junior hockey is almost becoming mandatory for players that want to play Division I college hockey, but it seems as if that is becoming a necessity.

The above from WCH. Recruiting is a gamble at any age. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Comment

FWIW in regards to Max Gardiner I hear Ohio State is the likely destination.

Comment

If it is Ohio State it is without a scholly..... per Big Ten transfer rules

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
          If it is Ohio State it is without a scholly..... per Big Ten transfer rules
          That issue has been debated on if Big Ten rules apply to hockey in regards to transfers or not and no one has been able to come up with concrete evidence.

Regardless, the message I got said that it would be indeed without scholarship unless he can obtain his associates degree. No clue what the associates degree has to do with it.

Comment

Big Ten rules apply to Big Ten schools.

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
              Big Ten rules apply to Big Ten schools.
              I'm not disagreeing with you but I have yet to see evidence either way that Big Ten hockey schools are bound to transfer rules since they are not participating in the Big Ten conference.

Comment

I didn't mean for it to come across that way. I know the rules apply- whether there is a hockey conference or not .. Players have always been named Big Ten Scholar athletes etc, and have to abide by Big Ten bylaws and standards.

As far as the associates degree-- I think that somehow ties in with being a 4-2-4 transfer....which I really don't understand or know the particulars about
                Last edited by pinch; 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                  Gandalf put forth the theory a while back that maybe Osiecki was the reason for the over-recruiting since it stopped at Wisconsin when he left and it now occurs at Ohio State. If Butters is indeed changing the way UW recruits in other ways, maybe Eaves really is open to giving his Assistants the power to make many of those decisions...
                  I always saw Eaves as a hardasss dictator, but it does appear he let's the recruiting guys to thier own thing.

Oz must be one heck of a recruiter, snagging Gardiner from the rodents. Of course, he laid that foundation when he was employed by UW.

Too WI players heavy....numbers don't lie, I guess it comes down to age, experience and talent.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

How many Wisconsin born players were on the National title team? (Hint:13) In the end, I don't think you get fixated on where a kid comes from but how he plays and can he help your program. The fact is that Wisconsin kids can help by needing a little less scholarship dollars with in state tuition and maybe let you offer a little more to a Canadian kid that needs a little more dollars to make things work.

Comment

Per Baggott, Wittchow DOESN'T want to come to UW right out of HS, he has rejected UW's offer for this year. He still has UW high on his list, but he hopes to attract more interest from other schools before making a decision. He specifically mentioned OSU as having interest. How long is Oz going to be a thron in UW's side?

This is an interesting turn on the "new" philosophy in recruiting.......and an ugly one.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

What has caused the growing number of talented DI college hockey players to turn pro before their eligibility expires - or they graduate? Is it a revolution in the minds of teenaged male hockey players or a change in college rules and policies?
                        Does this growing number of college hockey players dropping out of college to turn pro benefit the teams they leave or college hockey in general? Reasoned answers would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Per Baggott, Wittchow DOESN'T want to come to UW right out of HS, he has rejected UW's offer for this year. He still has UW high on his list, but he hopes to attract more interest from other schools before making a decision. He specifically mentioned OSU as having interest. How long is Oz going to be a thron in UW's side?

This is an interesting turn on the "new" philosophy in recruiting.......and an ugly one.
                          OSU isn't a serious contender for Wittchow. I still expect Wisconsin to bring in another defenseman this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

OZ is picking up those guys for whom UW's offer wasn't matching the kids timetable, etc.

Ala DU and Wiercoch.

whether this new recruiting idea of getting kids from HS works or not we won't know for a while.

still...it makes you wonder. DU and NODAK certainly aren't taking kids from HS...food for thought for all badger hockey fans for a couple of years until we see how this pans out.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              OZ is picking up those guys for whom UW's offer wasn't matching the kids timetable, etc.

Ala DU and Wiercoch.

whether this new recruiting idea of getting kids from HS works or not we won't know for a while.

still...it makes you wonder. DU and NODAK certainly aren't taking kids from HS...food for thought for all badger hockey fans for a couple of years until we see how this pans out.
                              Not sure that would be the case for Zach Stepan who committed for the 2013 season, unless he was promised to likily be able to come in for 2012.

Comment

I wouldn't worry. badgers always kick butt!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X