This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Minnetonka d-man Tommy Vannelli visiting Madison today per his twitter, & confirmed by Loren Nelson from HockeyHub.com

"St. Cloud State, Minnesota State, Minnesota, Ohio State, RPI, Michigan Tech and Maine also showing interest in Vannelli."
    Would be a great get for Wisco. Normally I'd say they would be facing an uphill battle trying to lure a legacy like Vannelli away from Minnesota, but with the log jam the Gophers currently have on the back-end, the Badgers might have the advantage in this case if Tom wants to come in sooner.

Chuck, any idea on when UW would be able to bring him in?
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Would be a great get for Wisco. Normally I'd say they would be facing an uphill battle trying to lure a legacy like Vannelli away from Minnesota, but with the log jam the Gophers currently have on the back-end, the Badgers might have the advantage in this case if Tom wants to come in sooner.

Chuck, any idea on when UW would be able to bring him in?
      (In my opinion) Wisconsin has spots for one defenseman for 2013, two defensemen for 2014, and one defenseman for 2015.

Obviously the best option for UW (since it appears Vannelli is headed back to Minnetonka for his senior year) would be to offer him for 2014 and let him play a year in the USHL. However I'm sure he'll get offers for 2013, so we'll see I guess.

Also, are you sure Tommy Vannelli is a Minnesota legacy? Aren't the Vannelli's with the Gopher connection coaches at St. Thomas Academy? Would be odd since Tommy plays at Minnetonka, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        (In my opinion) Wisconsin has spots for one defenseman for 2013, two defensemen for 2014, and one defenseman for 2015.

Obviously the best option for UW (since it appears Vannelli is headed back to Minnetonka for his senior year) would be to offer him for 2014 and let him play a year in the USHL. However I'm sure he'll get offers for 2013, so we'll see I guess.

Also, are you sure Tommy Vannelli is a Minnesota legacy? Aren't the Vannelli's with the Gopher connection coaches at St. Thomas Academy? Would be odd since Tommy plays at Minnetonka, no?
        I thought he was. With open enrollment the way it is now days, it's hard to be sure. Players move around more than ever before. Maybe he's a cousin. Have to admit, I'm not 100% positive. I will look into it.
        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 07-16-2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          From what I have been told, his dad and the Vannellis from STA are cousins.
          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
            From what I have been told, his dad and the Vannellis from STA are cousins.
            That answers it. Thanks Hammy

Comment

Following up on Chuck's last blog about Kevin Roy bailing on his Brown commitment, here's a link to an article explaining he is looking for a higher profile college and not interested in QMJHL. As Chuck speculated, Wisconsin is certainly higher profile and may have some money they can cobble together with Clark departing. The article also speculates his brother who is a goalie may be a package deal. Are we still short a 3rd goalie or did we find a walkon?

Also a story on Dvorak's recruitment here I like him making a return visit and the reason being letting mom see things.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                Following up on Chuck's last blog about Kevin Roy bailing on his Brown commitment, here's a link to an article explaining he is looking for a higher profile college and not interested in QMJHL. As Chuck speculated, Wisconsin is certainly higher profile and may have some money they can cobble together with Clark departing. The article also speculates his brother who is a goalie may be a package deal. Are we still short a 3rd goalie or did we find a walkon?

Also a story on Dvorak's recruitment here I like him making a return visit and the reason being letting mom see things.
                Wisconsin found a walk-on, Adam Miller out of the EJHL.

Comment

Was told tonight that 2013 Badger defense recruit Tim Davison's little brother Luke has acquired his first scholarship offer from Michigan Tech. Was also told four other schools are showing serious interest and he visited UMD and Northern Michigan in the past week.

Additionally, Brett Gruber who is a 96 born player like Luke Davison and also plays at Green Bay Notre Dame has been getting some serious college attention since he finished tied for second in points at the USA Select 16 festival. I'm told 6-7 college teams have shown serious interest since camp wrapped up recently.

My thoughts on the two when I saw them play at central districts:

Luke Davison-D-(Notre Dame Academy, from DePere, WI): Younger brother of Wisconsin recruit Tim. Starting to make his own name now. 5'11, 174 and moves very well. Reads the play and moves the puck to the right man every time. Has the ability to rush the puck and can get up and go. Got beat a couple times where he didn't read the play happening in front of him fast enough. Went 21st overall to Chicago in the USHL Futures Draft.

Brett Gruber-F-(Notre Dame Academy, from Appleton, WI): Gruber's prospect status is always going to be tied to his size (5'8, 158). The problem is that every time you try and doubt him, he makes a play. He's a pure goal scorer and has a rare knack to find areas where he can get open to score goals. If he gets the puck in a shooting lane, he buries it.

Comment

Minnetonka d-man Tommy Vannelli visiting Madison today per his twitter, & confirmed by Loren Nelson from HockeyHub.com

"St. Cloud State, Minnesota State, Minnesota, Ohio State, RPI, Michigan Tech and Maine also showing interest in Vannelli."
                    Vanelli mentions UW in this article posted yesterday. They ask him what program, system or style fits his game and the only school he mentioned was Wisconsin...

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                      Vanelli mentions UW in this article posted yesterday. They ask him what program, system or style fits his game and the only school he mentioned was Wisconsin...
                      Good catch.

Q: What are you looking for in a college and it's hockey program?
                      A: I’m not really sure what I am looking for. I’ve been told that when I go to a college it will just feel right.

Q: Are you looking for a program that plays a particular style or has a system that you think suits your game?
                      A: Wisconsin, with their past history, they kind of a have a track record of developing defensemen. Guys like Jake Gardiner and Justin Schultz. They are more geared toward offensive defensemen. I think I am a little more suited for that style of play, more playmaking and getting into the flow of the play.

On a side note, I'm hearing some good things about a UW recruiting target (in terms of where the Badgers rank on his list). I'm not allowed to say anymore, but I figured I'd relay what I can.

Comment

it can only be positive that Dvorak's mom is visiting Madison soon.

Anyone remember the Tony Granato story? he was a lock to go to Michigan State until he visited UW w/his family and bam! I'll fish that story out of "Shot And A Goal", it was pretty funny as I recall
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          it can only be positive that Dvorak's mom is visiting Madison soon.
                          It certainly doesn't hurt things.

Comment

On a side note, I'm hearing some good things about a UW recruiting target (in terms of where the Badgers rank on his list). I'm not allowed to say anymore, but I figured I'd relay what I can.
                            I'm hoping you are referring to Ian McCoshen as I had kind of given up hope figuring he was going to end up a Sue.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                              I'm hoping you are referring to Ian McCoshen as I had kind of given up hope figuring he was going to end up a Sue.
                              He is no longer considering Wisconsin from what I've been told.

Comment

For the past several weeks when I've had time I've been trying to put together a list of Wisconsin players that could potentially become Badgers, and thought I'd share it. I left out players who are already committed to UW or elsewhere. This list is mostly centered on high school players so there are likely some Midget players I missed. I included links to Reel Scouting videos of some of the players. That site also has footage on Seamus Malone and Nic Kerdiles if anyone is interested.

Players eligible to play college...

Now (Forwards)
                                Todd Koritzinsky (1 year USHL-Youngstown)
                                Alexander Dahl (1 year USHL-Youngstown)
                                Noah Nelson? (2 years USHL-Sioux City)
                                Evan Janssen-Dubuque USHL (1 year NAHL-Alaska)
                                Austin Vieth (just graduated from Notre Dame/TW Major) Chicago USHL pick & Janesville NAHL pick
                                Kyle Schmidt (played for Junior Admirals Midget Major last year) Waterloo draft pick?
                                Jason Ford-Dubuque USHL (just graduated from Waunakee/TW Major)

Now (Defense)
                                Alec Vanko (just graduated from Oregon/TW Major) Waterloo USHL pick
                                Matt Fosdick (just graduated from Brookfield/TW Major) Coulee Region NAHL pick
                                Mario DeMitchell (played for Junior Admirals Midget Major last year) Waterloo draft pick

Now (Goaltenders)
                                Austin Priebe (1 year USHL-Sioux City)

2013 (Forwards)
                                Jason Reynolds (Notre Dame Academy/TW) Futures pick of Youngstown USHL
                                Drew Callin (Jr. Admirals) Des Moines draft pick

2013 (Defense)
                                Michael Kapla (played for Eau Claire Memorial/TW) playing with Sioux City USHL
                                John Feemster (Wausau West/TW) Futures pick of Sioux Falls

2013 (Goaltenders)
                                Chris Nell Chicago Steel-USHL (previously Notre Dame Academy/TW Major)

2014 (Forwards)
                                Charley Grasskamp (Eau Claire Memorial/TW) Reel Scouting Video
                                Brett Gruber (Notre Dame Academy/TW)
                                Jared Erickson (Waupaca/TW)
                                Ryan Mezera (Homestead/TW) Reel Scouting Video
                                Kyler Pollitt (Jr. Admirals)

2014 (Defense)
                                Keegan Ford-Dubuque USHL (previously played for Waunakee/TW)
                                Luke Davison (Notre Dame Academy/TW) Invited to USNTDP Tryout
                                Cooper Watson (Appleton United/TW) Invited to USNTDP Tryout-Brother plays for Ohio State

2014 (Goaltenders)
                                Ryan Wischow (Ashwaubenon/TW)

2015 (Defense)
                                Tristan Rostagno (played for Arrowhead/TW) Drafted by Muskegon USHL Reel Scouting Video
                                Tarek Baker-Apparently headed to play for Russell Stover (played for Verona/TW)
                                Anthony Stillwell (Notre Dame Academy/TW)

2015 (Forwards)
                                Thomas Novak (St. Thomas Academy/TW)
                                Kevin Conley (Wausau West/TW)
                                Sam McCormick (Notre Dame Academy/TW) Brother plays for Ohio State

Also, I think the Badger hockey camp is going on this week. In addition, Team Wisconsin Major was named last week and you can find that roster here. Based on the overall roster I think they will probably struggle in the Elite League, although I hope I'm wrong.
                                Last edited by DPlaya; 07-31-2012, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X