X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I wonder what the attraction is to Mission. When we were involved with Tier 1 hockey (mid 90's into 2003), Chicago had the Young Americans and Team Illinois. Mission hockey was just getting started up.
    Hard to say, but they have done a hell of a job recruiting talent. I'm guessing Gino Cavallini who is the hockey director there (former NHL'er) has a lot to do with that. In addition to the absolutely loaded U16 team, I got a chance to see two kids off their 97 team play (Christian Fischer and Vas Kolias) and they BETTER be high profile targets for Eaves and staff. Both are big time studs.

Comment

2013 UW goalie recruit Gabe Grunwald will be playing for the Georgetown Raiders in the OJHL next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        2013 UW goalie recruit Gabe Grunwald will be playing for the Georgetown Raiders in the OJHL next season.
        Is this a good thing for Grunwald? I know there was past discussion about his progress last season.
        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
        Originally posted by UWisco
        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
          Is this a good thing for Grunwald? I know there was past discussion about his progress last season.
          Well, it's more of his comfort zone and closer to home as he was really raised in Toronto when his dad was GM of the Raptors. Even now his dad is in New York with the Knicks so maybe he'll have more of a support staff and that will help? Who knows.

Georgetown split goaltending duties last year with Michigan recruit Steven Racine and 95 born Michael Giugovaz. Racine is headed to Ann Arbor in the fall and Guigovaz is returning, likely as the full time starter. So it remains to be seen what kind of playing time Grunwald would get. Hell, Guigovaz looks like the better prospect at this time and he's uncommitted.

Comment

Haven't heard how close Ian McCoshen is to making a decision, but I did hear that his phone is ringing off the hook from college recruiters. So much so that he may have floated some OHL rumors to get them to stop calling so much. He's Saginaw Spirit property. Same source told me they would be surprised if he ended up in the OHL though as if he was going to go it would be this season for his draft year and it sounds as if he's headed back to Waterloo. In an interview in February he listed the Badgers, Nebraska-Omaha, Minnesota Duluth, and North Dakota as his final four.

We should be hearing from Christian Dvorak soon as well as he said he'll likely be making a decision in July. He lists the Badgers, Notre Dame, New Hampshire, and Nebraska-Omaha as his final four.
            Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 06-20-2012, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Haven't heard how close Ian McCoshen is to making a decision, but I did hear that his phone is ringing off the hook from college recruiters. So much so that he may have floated some OHL rumors to get them to stop calling so much. He's Saginaw Spirit property. Same source told me they would be surprised if he ended up in the OHL though as if he was going to go it would be this season for his draft year and it sounds as if he's headed back to Waterloo. In an interview in February he listed the Badgers, Nebraska-Omaha, Minnesota Duluth, and North Dakota as his final four.

We should be hearing from Christian Dvorak soon as well as he said he'll likely be making a decision in July. He lists the Badgers, Notre Dame, New Hampshire, and Nebraska-Omaha as his final four.
              Chuck, since you've seen both play and have first-hand knowledge of the talents of the guys coming in over the next 2 years or so...if UW went .500 here which guy is more important (or which position) for the immediate needs of the class they're lined up for? I've been out of touch w/this for the entire off season....or is that not even a valid question @ this point?
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                Chuck, since you've seen both play and have first-hand knowledge of the talents of the guys coming in over the next 2 years or so...if UW went .500 here which guy is more important (or which position) for the immediate needs of the class they're lined up for? I've been out of touch w/this for the entire off season....or is that not even a valid question @ this point?
                You've presented an excellent question sir. Let me clarify this, I've never seen McCoshen play in person. I have however talked to multiple people close to me, and people I trust who continually rave about his play and have given me a pretty good picture of his game. As noted in this thread, I have seen Dvorak play and feel like I've got a decent handle on him as well.

The question you bring up is a tough one especially since they are for two different classes. It's a tough task to project out more than two years so this is certainly a chore.

As for McCoshen, he would enter in 2013 and obviously be injected into the lineup immediately. Our 2013 d-core is expected to be comprised of Simonelli (SR), Faust (SR), McCabe (JR), Wittchow (SO), Schulze (SO), Drake (SR), Hartzog (SR), and Davison (FR). Out of that group you have a clear top 4 of Simonelli, McCabe, Faust, and Wittchow. I'm convinced that between Schulze, Davison, and Drake you can come up with a competent third pairing (if McCoshen isn't there).

The problem is in 2014 when McCoshen becomes a sophomore. You lose Simonelli, Drake, Faust, and Hartzog as well as possibly McCabe to the NHL. If all five are gone you're left with Wittchow, Schulze, Davison, Linhart (FR), Tischke (FR). That's where it becomes incredibly important to have an experienced talented sophomore like McCoshen.

As far as Dvorak, he's a 2014 kid and is obviously ultra talented. It's a small sample but he outscored North Dakota super recruit Nick Schmaltz (points per game) last season when they were teammates with the Chicago Mission U16's. As of right now, the forwards for 2014 include Joseph LaBate (Will be be here as a senior?), Brendan Woods (SR), Brad Navin (Sr), Matt Paape, (SR), Nic Kerdiles (50/50 on if he'll be here 3 years), Morgan Zulinick (JR), Corbin McGuire (SO), Grant Besse (FR). Obviously the team will add some forwards to the McGuire class so it's hard to know for sure who else will be on the roster at the same time.

Through all of this....I honestly still am not sure how to answer your question. Both players are extremely talented and potentially important to the team. I said a few years back that I felt that Wisconsin was preparing to make back to back runs at the National Title in 2013 (Pitt) and 2014 (Philly). Ian McCoshen would go a long ways into helping that 2014 run to Philly as the team is only projected to lose Ramage, Lee, R. Little, and possibly underclassmen Mark Zengerle.

Dvorak is also super important because they are projected to lose so many forwards after 2014. By my count, they are going to need to bring in 7-8 (currently only Grant Besse is committed). So Dvorak is super important as well.

Honestly, I think they are both important and if Eaves can go 50/50 it would be a win. That said, Wisconsin can certainly get by without either of them as there are players still on the board of quality that can make a difference. Dvorak is the better bet to end up in Madison, but I've been wrong before.
                Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 06-21-2012, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Excellent analysis Chuck! thanks.

lining up the current players (and by class) as you've laid out really gives perspective to this

...I'm having a hell of a time trying to determine which player would be more important long and short-term....might be a push

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

McCoshen will not be a Badger, his assistant coach at Waterloo tweeted at me today. Still considering UND, UNO, and UMD.

Comment

McCoshen will not be a Badger, his assistant coach at Waterloo tweeted at me today. Still considering UND, UNO, and UMD.
                      Not a major surprise. I've always felt he was UND's to lose. UMD could be a dark horse though. I'll be very surprised if UNO is the choice. I wish the Gophs had a guaranteed open spot for 2013 on D to offer him but they simply do not.
                      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

crap...I guess that was somewhat expected. hopefully UW can land Dvorak

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          I wonder what the attraction is to Mission. When we were involved with Tier 1 hockey (mid 90's into 2003), Chicago had the Young Americans and Team Illinois. Mission hockey was just getting started up.
                          It's coaches and recruiting the handful of key kids in each birth year. With TI specifically, they changed rinks a few years ago to more on the outskirts of the Northwest suburbs and have been in a downward spiral since (I also think they fell into the trap of arrogance where they had a nice run as one of the premier destinations and took it for granted a bit). TI this Spring did very little recruiting/promoting at the Squirt level and had a real low turnout (you simply can't post the days of tryouts on the web and have the best kids show up anymore). Mission has had a good pulse on which coaches can bring the key players to the program and have clearly ascended to the top of the heap. Their recent sucess with placing kids into USDT, USHL, college, NHL draft, ect will likely only continue their cycle as top dog.

Comment

Recruiting notes that are way too long for a USCHO post. Including 2015 recruit Seamus Malone being named to the U.S. U17 team for the Five Nation tournament.

LINK

Comment

Recruiting notes that are way too long for a USCHO post. Including 2015 recruit Seamus Malone being named to the U.S. U17 team for the Five Nation tournament.

LINK
                              a wealth of information here, great stuff!

C'mon Dvorak, you KNOW you want to play in Madison where 22 current NHL'ers honed their craft!

Comment

Minnetonka d-man Tommy Vannelli visiting Madison today per his twitter, & confirmed by Loren Nelson from HockeyHub.com

"St. Cloud State, Minnesota State, Minnesota, Ohio State, RPI, Michigan Tech and Maine also showing interest in Vannelli."

Comment

Working...
                                X