This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Way too long for a post here, but I took in the Central District festival this Saturday. Notes on some players if any of you are interested.

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      York has buttered his bread with small players that are highly skilled and have wheels, but are either not NHL ready or are drafted in the latter rounds because of concerns around size/durability at the next level. For every Chris Kreider, there are 3-4 players who are highly effective in the college game, but may not translate into impact NHL'ers, let alone ever play in the NHL.

Look no farther than Ben Eaves as a perfect example of the prototypical BC player.
      I'd like Eaves to get more of these types of players. He does have 1st Star and Lee, who maybe fit this model, and I'd say Davies did as well.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I'd like Eaves to get more of these types of players. He does have 1st Star and Lee, who maybe fit this model, and I'd say Davies did as well.
        Morgan Zulinick, Corbin McGuire, and Grant Besse all fit that model.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          I think we can compare Eaves and Berenson head to head. they compete for many of the same recruits and Michigan doesn't have a lock on all Michigan-born talent like Lucia does on Minnesota kids.

for now I'm going w/NCAA rings and Eaves loses out on that score 2-1 and 2-1. with NCAA appearances he loses as well. we'll know all we need to know not this year but in 3 years I think when these current kids are all gone, will they re-load or re-build?
          You can't compare one with 28 years as coach and the other with 10. If you are talking about those 2 going head to head for recruits and success, you can only use the last 10 years. Berenson has no rings.

Comment

Badgers just got a verbal from Chicago Mission u16 dman Peter Tischke. (B5Q Link)
            Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 05-17-2012, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Baggot talked to Tischke's coach today.

"He's physical, he reads the play and he hits like a freight train.''

"His compete level is off the charts,'' Cavallini said of Tischke, who was a second-round U.S. Hockey League draft pick of Des Moines. "He does what it takes to win.''

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                Badgers just got a verbal from Chicago Mission u16 dman Peter Tischke. (B5Q Link)
                Must say, a nice get for UW. Dvorak will be the big coup from that Mission team. Gotta think the Badgers have an inside track to nab him, no?

Comment

Forgot to mention this earlier in the week but here are the Wisconsin kids that advanced to Rochester (with my brief scouting report):

Of note IMO Luke Davison (Notre Dame Academy) and Cooper Watson (Appleton HS) were egregiously left off the select 16 list, as was Jackson Charlesworth (Antigo) from the select 15 list. All 3 deserve to be in Rochester.

Also, if you're curious why the numbers drop off so much for the older players there are a few things in play. One, they take less kids. Select 15's take 7D and 13F. Select 16's take 6D and 10F. Select 17's take 5 D, and 9 F.

Also, a lot of players for whatever reason don't try out. Wisconsin recruit Jake Linhart from Brookfield decided not to tryout this year. Also, guys that would be eligible for Select 17's like Ian McCoshen (Hudson, playing for Waterloo in the USHL), Travis Wood (Hudson, playing for Erie in the OHL), and Will Butcher (Sun Prairie, playing for the NTDP) obviously weren't there to tryout.

Select 15's:

D-Anthony Stillwell-Notre Dame Academy (5'6, 134): Tiny kid at 5'6, 134 pounds right now. When I talked to his high school coach at NDA last winter he really liked this kid and talked about UW recruit Tim Davison taking him under his wing. He moves well and is an incredible passer but will those skills make up for his lack of size? We'll see.

D-Adam Parsells-Wausau West HS (6'4, 175): If we could mesh Parsells and Stillwell we'd have one hell of a defenseman. Incredible size for his age at 6'4, 175. He was decent here, not great. Going to have to improve his skating, but you can't teach 6'4.

F-Tarek Baker-Verona HS (5'6, 150): Pleasantly surprised with this Wisconsinite. I'd be surprised if he doesn't move on to the next stage in Rochester. Has some nice offensive flair and really makes defensemen nervous with his skill level. Scored a goal right in front of me and set another one up.

F-Sam McCormick-Notre Dame Academy (5'8, 148):
                  McCormick grew on me as the game wore on. He needs to improve his skating but he's intelligent and makes the correct play with the puck. You could sense his anticipation skills were elite. Older brother plays at Ohio State.

F-Tom Novak-St. Thomas Academy (From River Falls) (5'10, 150):
                  Loved him when I saw him in the Minnesota state tournament this spring and felt the same way this weekend. 5'10, 150 and has a lot of potential. Too early to tell what his ceiling is but with the coaching he's going to get with Team Wisconsin and at St. Thomas you have to like his future. Some kids just score goals and Novak scores goals.

F-Ty Pelton-Byce-Madison Memorial HS (6'0, 160): Good bloodlines and good frame at 6'0, 160. Another kid who's going to have to keep working on his skating but I like the potential here.

Select 16's:

D-Keegan Ford-Waunakee HS (5'9, 177): Don't let his size (5'9, 177) fool you, Ford is a future D1 hockey player. Dubuque of the USHL used a tender on him and I can see why. He's only 5'9 but he's got a thick lower half and isn't afraid to hit. He's always positionally aware and you can tell he really thinks the game. Advanced.

F-Charley Grasskamp-Eau Claire Memorial HS (6'2, 170): Liked him, didn't love him. 6'2, 170 and gangly. Certainly not going to write him off as he looks like the perfect late bloomer candidate. Going to need to improve his skating.

F-Brett Gruber-Notre Dame Academy (5'8, 158): Gruber's prospect status is always going to be tied to his size (5'8, 158). The problem is that every time you try and doubt him, he makes a play. He's a pure goal scorer and has a rare knack to find areas where he can get open to score goals. If he gets the puck in a shooting lane, he buries it.

Select 17's:

F-Drew Callin-Milwaukee Jr. Admirals U18 (From Middleton) (6'1, 175): Have not seen him play yet.
                  Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 05-20-2012, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    Forgot to mention this earlier in the week but here are the Wisconsin kids that advanced to Rochester (with my brief scouting report):

Of note IMO Luke Davison (Notre Dame Academy) and Cooper Watson (Appleton HS) were egregiously left off the select 16 list, as was Jackson Charlesworth (Antigo) from the select 15 list. All 3 deserve to be in Rochester.

Also, if you're curious why the numbers drop off so much for the older players there are a few things in play. One, they take less kids. Select 15's take 7D and 13F. Select 16's take 6D and 10F. Select 17's take 5 D, and 9 F.

Also, a lot of players for whatever reason don't try out. Wisconsin recruit Jake Linhart from Brookfield decided not to tryout this year. Also, guys that would be eligible for Select 17's like Ian McCoshen (Hudson, playing for Waterloo in the USHL), Travis Wood (Hudson, playing for Erie in the OHL), and Will Butcher (Sun Prairie, playing for the NTDP) obviously weren't there to tryout.

Select 15's:

D-Anthony Stillwell-Notre Dame Academy (5'6, 134): Tiny kid at 5'6, 134 pounds right now. When I talked to his high school coach at NDA last winter he really liked this kid and talked about UW recruit Tim Davison taking him under his wing. He moves well and is an incredible passer but will those skills make up for his lack of size? We'll see.

D-Adam Parsells-Wausau West HS (6'4, 175): If we could mesh Parsells and Stillwell we'd have one hell of a defenseman. Incredible size for his age at 6'4, 175. He was decent here, not great. Going to have to improve his skating, but you can't teach 6'4.

F-Tarek Baker-Verona HS (5'6, 150): Pleasantly surprised with this Wisconsinite. I'd be surprised if he doesn't move on to the next stage in Rochester. Has some nice offensive flair and really makes defensemen nervous with his skill level. Scored a goal right in front of me and set another one up.

F-Sam McCormick-Notre Dame Academy (5'8, 148):
                    McCormick grew on me as the game wore on. He needs to improve his skating but he's intelligent and makes the correct play with the puck. You could sense his anticipation skills were elite. Older brother plays at Ohio State.

F-Tom Novak-St. Thomas Academy (From River Falls) (5'10, 150):
                    Loved him when I saw him in the Minnesota state tournament this spring and felt the same way this weekend. 5'10, 150 and has a lot of potential. Too early to tell what his ceiling is but with the coaching he's going to get with Team Wisconsin and at St. Thomas you have to like his future. Some kids just score goals and Novak scores goals.

F-Ty Pelton-Byce-Madison Memorial HS (6'0, 160): Good bloodlines and good frame at 6'0, 160. Another kid who's going to have to keep working on his skating but I like the potential here.

Select 16's:

D-Keegan Ford-Waunakee HS (5'9, 177): Don't let his size (5'9, 177) fool you, Ford is a future D1 hockey player. Dubuque of the USHL used a tender on him and I can see why. He's only 5'9 but he's got a thick lower half and isn't afraid to hit. He's always positionally aware and you can tell he really thinks the game. Advanced.

F-Charley Grasskamp-Eau Claire Memorial HS (6'2, 170): Liked him, didn't love him. 6'2, 170 and gangly. Certainly not going to write him off as he looks like the perfect late bloomer candidate. Going to need to improve his skating.

F-Brett Gruber-Notre Dame Academy (5'8, 158): Gruber's prospect status is always going to be tied to his size (5'8, 158). The problem is that every time you try and doubt him, he makes a play. He's a pure goal scorer and has a rare knack to find areas where he can get open to score goals. If he gets the puck in a shooting lane, he buries it.

Select 17's:

F-Drew Callin-Milwaukee Jr. Admirals U18 (From Middleton) (6'1, 175): Have not seen him play yet.
                    excellent update!

any thoughts on UW potentially landing the Dvorak kid?

is Byce John Byce's son?
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

excellent update!

any thoughts on UW potentially landing the Dvorak kid?

is Byce John Byce's son?
                      I'd say that UW's chances with Dvorak are at least 50%. I know that Notre Dame is also in the hunt, not sure who else. Can't hurt that 3 of his teammates are committed to Wisconsin.

I'm 95% sure that Ty is John Byce's son, maybe Mad City Rich can confirm that.

Comment

Peter Tischke talks about his decision to come to Madison. LINK

Comment

I'd say that UW's chances with Dvorak are at least 50%. I know that Notre Dame is also in the hunt, not sure who else. Can't hurt that 3 of his teammates are committed to Wisconsin.

I'm 95% sure that Ty is John Byce's son, maybe Mad City Rich can confirm that.
                          thanks. I haven't read much on Dvorak but the little i have read indicates he could be a great pick-up if he decides to follow his teammates

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

thanks. I haven't read much on Dvorak but the little i have read indicates he could be a great pick-up if he decides to follow his teammates
                            He's a big time prospect. Here's what I wrote about him when I saw him at Central Districts a few weeks back:

Christian Dvorak-F-(Chicago Mission U16): Another first round USHL futures pick (Chicago). First shift left me disappointed, but in the blink of an eye he changed my opinion. Picked the puck up and showed incredible burst to blow down the wing past a d-man and finished the play with a beautiful deake. Was awesome the rest of the game. Incredible patience, fast, total package. 5'11, 150 and a top 4 forward in the 96 class at this event. Absolute stud who is an elite college hockey recruit. 8th round OHL pick of the London Knights.

FWIW, the OHL is a consideration for him. While Linhart and Malone were no shows at Plymouth's rookie camp, Dvorak was at London's. If you know anything about the OHL, you know how persuasive they can be. I don't think I need to remind most of you about Sam Gagner....
                            Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 05-25-2012, 03:36 AM.

Comment

He's a big time prospect. Here's what I wrote about him when I saw him at Central Districts a few weeks back:

Christian Dvorak-F-(Chicago Mission U16): Another first round USHL futures pick (Chicago). First shift left me disappointed, but in the blink of an eye he changed my opinion. Picked the puck up and showed incredible burst to blow down the wing past a d-man and finished the play with a beautiful deake. Was awesome the rest of the game. Incredible patience, fast, total package. 5'11, 150 and a top 4 forward in the 96 class at this event. Absolute stud who is an elite college hockey recruit. 8th round OHL pick of the London Knights.

FWIW, the OHL is a consideration for him. While Linhart and Malone were no shows at Plymouth's rookie camp, Dvorak was at London's. If you know anything about the OHL, you know how persuasive they can be. I don't think I need to remind most of you about Sam Gagner....
                              great stuff, thanks!

"incredible burst to blow down the wing past a d-man" UW can never have too many of these types who put intense pressure on the d w/their speed

Comment

I was looking at Heisenberg's new 2013 page today, and am wondering if anyone else thinks Eaves has some work to do for 2013 yet? Tim Davison should be a nice replacement for Ramage on defense, but both McGuire (is he really going to ever make it to UW) and Grunwald (I know this situation has been discussed before) look shaky right now. The team only loses one player to graduation: Ramage. I think it is very real that the Badgers see a few players leave early after this coming season: Zengerle (after a hobeyish year), Mersch, maybe a defenseman or two (though I think that is less likely).

I would really like to see another quality forward or two get on board. These uneven classes are going to be a real struggle again down the road if Eaves doesn't bring in a few forwards in 2013. The cycle of boom and bust will continue largely due to experience as I think we are all looking forward to the glut of experience on the Badgers the next few seasons, but that sets up for a season or two of youth to follow again. I know there is only so much Eaves can do, can't have 20 forwards on the team just to help the balance in 2014/15, etc.

Another defenseman would be good too, since I don't think that Hartzog is the answer as the 8th blue liner, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. The drop off to Drake/Hartzog is going to be steep this season, unless one or both really progress. Maybe there will be a Josh Engel moment in reverse.
                                Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                                Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                                Originally posted by UWisco
                                It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Working...
                                X