PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Chuck Schwartz
09-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Per his twitter, Arrowhead HS & TW U16 d-man Tristan Rostagno has committed to Michigan Tech for 2015. 6'2, 185. 9/25/1996.

DPlaya
09-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Seamus Malone seems to be adapting to the pace of play at the USHL level very quickly...after being shut out in his first USHL exhibition game he's had 5 goals and an assist in the past 3 exhibition games for Dubuque. He had two goals and an assist vs. the USNTDP U-18's tonight and finished +2 for the game. Here's his USHL Poinstreak page (http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=6288580&seasonid=9735).

Chuck Schwartz
09-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Jake Linhart added a goal and an assist today and is +4 through two games at the USHL Fall Classic. Young kids adjusting well to the USHL so far.

Chuck Schwartz
09-21-2012, 08:45 PM
96 born Kohler, WI native Alex Falconer made the Shattuck Prep Team. Not overly impressed when I saw him, but a name to remember either way.

Chuck Schwartz
09-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Stop me if you've heard this before. Goalie recruit Gabe Grunwald is once again struggling to stop pucks. Looks like he's even the #2 with his new team, again.

Timothy A
09-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Stop!

At least we have Rumpel/Petersen for 3 more years, or at least Petersen 3 more for sure.

Almington
09-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Stop!

At least we have Rumpel/Petersen for 3 more years, or at least Petersen 3 more for sure.

Nothing is ever written in stone with athletes.
If you want to be a championship organization, you need a solid succession plan for when the current players leave. Who is the NEXT goalie isn't a critical issue RIGHT NOW, but it is something that the coaching staff need to consider as it becomes more apparent that Grunwald may not be the answer because you don't want to be left scrambling if it does become an immediate need.

Chuck Schwartz
10-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Unless he's hurt, Grunwald is the clear #2 with Georgetown (OJHL). Daniel Mannella played both games for them again this weekend, stopping 69 of 71 shots. Kid actually is playing really well, leading the league in GAA and Save %.

Grunwald is a great kid. He's answered every question, and done every interview. You root for kids like that to have success. But at some point you have to think they will have to find an alternative. It's just too important of a position.

Timothy A
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Unless he's hurt, Grunwald is the clear #2 with Georgetown (OJHL). Daniel Mannella played both games for them again this weekend, stopping 69 of 71 shots. Kid actually is playing really well, leading the league in GAA and Save %.

Grunwald is a great kid. He's answered every question, and done every interview. You root for kids like that to have success. But at some point you have to think they will have to find an alternative. It's just too important of a position.

So is Adam Miller is essentially just a practice guy or is he someone who could end up battling for the start in 3 yrs? Luckily Eaves does have the next 3 years covered in the net with or without Miller in the mix. I think Eaves will find an over-looked tender in Canada like Elliott for a tender. Overall, I'm becoming not such a big fan of these early commitments, quite a few of Eaves' never even make it to Madison and then guys like McGuire and Grunwald don't seem to be evolving as expected. But I guess that's how the recruiting game is played these days.

Chuck Schwartz
10-01-2012, 01:44 PM
So is Adam Miller is essentially just a practice guy or is he someone who could end up battling for the start in 3 yrs? Luckily Eaves does have the next 3 years covered in the net with or without Miller in the mix. I think Eaves will find an over-looked tender in Canada like Elliott for a tender. Overall, I'm becoming not such a big fan of these early commitments, quite a few of Eaves' never even make it to Madison and then guys like McGuire and Grunwald don't seem to be evolving as expected. But I guess that's how the recruiting game is played these days.

Miller is just a practice guy. I wouldn't expect anything out of him in terms of ever seeing ice time at UW.

As for the early commits, you don't have much of a choice but to offer kids early if you want good players. Sure, there are some late bloomers and some kids that you can wait on. But as long as other schools are going to continue to offer kids early, you're going to have to take kids early too. Is every kid going to plan out? No. You just have to trust your talent evaluators and hope for the best.

Chuck Schwartz
10-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Not sure if you guys remember, but I posted about seeing '14 defense recruit Peter Tischke injuring his knee a few weeks back. I spoke with him tonight and it sounds like he's almost back.

"Almost back to 100%. Started skating last Tue and played a few games last weekend." That's what he told me. He said it was a quad contusion, which is incredibly painful...but great news. It could have been much worse if he would have torn knee ligaments. The hit was nasty (knee on knee), so this is really good news.

I had the same exact injury, and it happened in the exact same spot on the ice (coming around the net in the d-zone), and I know how painful it was. I couldn't straighten my leg for a month. But like I said, he should be fine soon.

Chuck Schwartz
10-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Ashwaubenon, WI defenseman Matt Berkovitz has committed to the University of Wisconsin. 6'1, 170 pounds.

solovsfett
10-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Ashwaubenon, WI defenseman Matt Berkovitz has committed to the University of Wisconsin. 6'1, 170 pounds.

I don't recall reading about him previously, have you seen him play?

bucky15
10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Chuck, do you know why we have been avoiding Canadian recruits? Did we lose a scout/coach that had a pipeline up there? It seems like the number of Canadians on the team has been dropping each year.

Timothy A
10-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Chuck, do you know why we have been avoiding Canadian recruits? Did we lose a scout/coach that had a pipeline up there? It seems like the number of Canadians on the team has been dropping each year.

Overall, I think the state of WI doesn't produce a lot of top end college talent. WI produces quality guys who contribute throughout the line-up, but the top 6 point getters are not from WI. If you look at the top 6 scorers from the last 5 years, 7 out of the 30 players have hailed from WI. In my head, as large the pool of players is in Canada, UW needs to land a mix if these guys, along with some rodents to get the right balance.

Gurtholfin
10-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Oz used to recruit Western Canada.

He was up there all the time back when I used to know him.

Not sure if anyone else is doing it now.

Chuck Schwartz
10-03-2012, 02:44 PM

I don't think we're avoiding it. I can tell you for a FACT that Gary Shuchuk has made multiple trips up to western Canada in fact he was just up there a few weeks ago for the BCHL showcase. Sometimes that's just the way things work out. Wisconsin has been killing it in the Chicago AAA area lately. Which kid is more likely to bolt for major junior, a kid out of Chicago or a kid out of Canada. Sometimes you have to be smart about the kids you're bringing in. It's ok to take a risk or two here and there, but the Badgers have had a lot of success recently with kids from Illinois and within the state of Wisconsin. There is nothing to be concerned about.

bucky15
10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't think we're avoiding it. I can tell you for a FACT that Gary Shuchuk has made multiple trips up to western Canada in fact he was just up there a few weeks ago for the BCHL showcase. Sometimes that's just the way things work out. Wisconsin has been killing it in the Chicago AAA area lately. Which kid is more likely to bolt for major junior, a kid out of Chicago or a kid out of Canada. Sometimes you have to be smart about the kids you're bringing in. It's ok to take a risk or two here and there, but the Badgers have had a lot of success recently with kids from Illinois and within the state of Wisconsin. There is nothing to be concerned about.

I was more curious than concerned and I thought you would be the one to ask on this. Couple more questions for you on recruiting, how did UW find Niki Siren and Bruckler? Same goes with the Finn on the gophs? Are these kids that come over and play in the USHL? I know the European players are tricky, because in Sweden they have there 17/18 year olds on the club U18 teams play up in the Elitserien for a couple games and that means they can't play college hockey. I had talked with a guy in Sweden who is good friends with Carl Hagelin's dad and he made it seem it was him wanting an American experience (the guy was hammered in the stands at a Bandy game, so who knows).

Going back to Gurtholfin's comment, I had a feeling Oz had a strong presence in BC/Alberta.

Chuck Schwartz
10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I was more curious than concerned and I thought you would be the one to ask on this. Couple more questions for you on recruiting, how did UW find Niki Siren and Bruckler? Same goes with the Finn on the gophs? Are these kids that come over and play in the USHL? I know the European players are tricky, because in Sweden they have there 17/18 year olds on the club U18 teams play up in the Elitserien for a couple games and that means they can't play college hockey. I had talked with a guy in Sweden who is good friends with Carl Hagelin's dad and he made it seem it was him wanting an American experience (the guy was hammered in the stands at a Bandy game, so who knows).

Going back to Gurtholfin's comment, I had a feeling Oz had a strong presence in BC/Alberta.

Siren and Bruckler happened before I started following recruiting closely. Haula from Minnesota came over and played at Shattuck Prep in Minnesota so that's where the Gophers saw him play. He later played in the USHL.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
10-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Bruckler played with the Tri City Storm in the USHL before coming to UW. Not sure when he was recruited relative to moving from Graz, but there you have it.