This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I believe the largest 64 schools in student enrollment are automatically considered Class AA. A small number decide to opt up into Class AA (i.e. Grand Rapids, Roseau, Benilde). Since private schools tend to be smaller in enrollment size, they can get away with playing Class A even though they should be playing up. The worst offender IMO is St. Thomas Academy. There's no good reason for them to not be playing AA.
    Especially considering St Thomas' enrollment is all-male. And schools like STA and Breck play largely Class AA schedules during the season.

Holy Family Catholic moved up. Time for STA and Breck to as well IMO.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      I don't disagree that MNHS will be down next year. When you consider the level of talent in next year's senior class that could be there but won't be (some of this year's best juniors will leave for junior hockey), it will be a shadow of what it could have been.
      But seniors leaving for the USHL/NTDP has been going on for over the last decade+. Are larger number of seniors-to-be leaving or is the junior-to-be class just down relative to the recent past?

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        But seniors leaving for the USHL/NTDP has been going on for over the last decade+. Are larger number of seniors-to-be leaving or is the junior-to-be class just down relative to the recent past?
        I think it is a little more severe for next year's senior class.
        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
          I agree with the private school comment and loyalty. I don't understand how some privates play in A and some play in AA. Do you know what the cut off is for this? Do some private schools just decide to play up or are they just much bigger private schools?
          There's only four private schools that play AA: Hill-Murray, Holy Angels, Benilde-St. Margaret's, and Holy Family Catholic. By size, they would all be allowed to play Class A, but opted up to AA.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Besse according to the Red Line Report (picking the only negative): "Rarely finishes a check and is a defensive afterthought.'' He better make great strikes in this area this year if he ends up coming a year early. Poor D by a F will get you in the spectator seats under Eaves.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Besse according to the Red Line Report (picking the only negative): "Rarely finishes a check and is a defensive afterthought.'' He better make great strikes in this area this year if he ends up coming a year early. Poor D by a F will get you in the spectator seats under Eaves.
              Not if he works hard and scores. I really think that the greatest sin to Eaves is showing a poor work ethic in practice and off ice training. The bigger issue for Besse may be when he comes in (given the unbalanced nature of the classes) in and how much he is asked to do right away. Being able to place him on a line with a couple of upperclassmen (what Eaves did with Skille in 06) to help cover and defensive mistakes and keep him off the PK until he has demonstrated in practice that he gets the defensive system 100% (similar to Earl and Davies, who didn't see any PK time as Fr or So, but did as Jr and Sr).

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                Not if he works hard and scores. I really think that the greatest sin to Eaves is showing a poor work ethic in practice and off ice training.
                I think you're spot on with this. Davies didn't get benched here and there because Eaves didn't think he wasn't good defensively (because we all know he wasn't), it was because he didn't think he was working hard enough in that area in games/practices, etc.

I thought the full scouting report on Besse from Red Line was actually pretty spot on. I think I saw Besse 5 times last year and thought they described his game well. I'd add in that the kid has a special knack for getting himself in a position to score. Some kids have a sense of where to go to put them in a position to score and he has that. Can't teach it.

Not trying to start a flame war with Minnesota fans, and I know I'm obviously partial but I think it's a great choice for this kid to go to Wisconsin if he ever wants to play pro hockey. I've seen the comments around about why would a kid who has traditionally not cared much for the defensive part of the game go play for Eaves. My question is why wouldn't a kid like that want to play for Eaves? You could be like Kessel and go somewhere that fits your style (aka you don't need to play any defense), or go somewhere that is going to challenge you to become a better two way player.

Again, not trying to start anything with Minnesota, the Kessel example just came to mind. But it makes a hell of a lot of sense to me to go to a place that is going to challenge the weakest parts of my game and make me a better pro down the road right?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  I think you're spot on with this. Davies didn't get benched here and there because Eaves didn't think he wasn't good defensively (because we all know he wasn't), it was because he didn't think he was working hard enough in that area in games/practices, etc.

I thought the full scouting report on Besse from Red Line was actually pretty spot on. I think I saw Besse 5 times last year and thought they described his game well. I'd add in that the kid has a special knack for getting himself in a position to score. Some kids have a sense of where to go to put them in a position to score and he has that. Can't teach it.

Not trying to start a flame war with Minnesota fans, and I know I'm obviously partial but I think it's a great choice for this kid to go to Wisconsin if he ever wants to play pro hockey. I've seen the comments around about why would a kid who has traditionally not cared much for the defensive part of the game go play for Eaves. My question is why wouldn't a kid like that want to play for Eaves? You could be like Kessel and go somewhere that fits your style (aka you don't need to play any defense), or go somewhere that is going to challenge you to become a better two way player.

Again, not trying to start anything with Minnesota, the Kessel example just came to mind. But it makes a hell of a lot of sense to me to go to a place that is going to challenge the weakest parts of my game and make me a better pro down the road right?
                  if the kid is mature enough to see the flaws in his game and wants to challenge himself to be the best player he can be you're absolutely spot on, Wisconsin is the place to be for a forward who wants to become a 2-way or more complete player. at least imo it is

I can't wait to see Besse wearing his next RED jersey!
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    Especially considering St Thomas' enrollment is all-male. And schools like STA and Breck play largely Class AA schedules during the season.

Holy Family Catholic moved up. Time for STA and Breck to as well IMO.
                    In considering all-male schools they double the actual population to compare to the size cut-off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post

Every team coaches defensive responsibility. Of course, some coaches are better at it than others (i.e. why Guentzel improved matters with many of the same defensemen from the prior year). Under Lucia, the Gophers have generally played a more creative style of hockey based on puck possession (your best defense is a good offense... can't get scored on when the puck is in the opponent's end and on your team's stick). Lucia isn't focused on a system as much as skating and creativity. That doesn't mean guys aren't expected to play defense though.

Besse has generally been a player that isn't engaged in the play unless there is a chance for somebody to feed him the puck. He floats on the perimeter and waits. That's not going to get it done at higher levels and it isn't an easy habit to break out of when you've been able to get away with it for so long. That's why Danny Mattson struggled so much after leaving Holy Angels. At Holy Angels, he played the same way. He could dipsy do around and wait for the puck. He didn't play good two way hockey. He goes off to the USHL, is asked to adapt his game, and he struggles. He gets dropped by UND and ends up at Bemidji. He didn't lose his skill from the Holy Angels days. He just couldn't adapt to be asked to be more engaged on both ends. We'll see how Besse adapts because there is going to hit a point where he'll be expected to.
                      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        In considering all-male schools they double the actual population to compare to the size cut-off.
                        You're right. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                          Every team coaches defensive responsibility. Of course, some coaches are better at it than others (i.e. why Guentzel improved matters with many of the same defensemen from the prior year). Under Lucia, the Gophers have generally played a more creative style of hockey based on puck possession (your best defense is a good offense... can't get scored on when the puck is in the opponent's end and on your team's stick). Lucia isn't focused on a system as much as skating and creativity. That doesn't mean guys aren't expected to play defense though.

Besse has generally been a player that isn't engaged in the play unless there is a chance for somebody to feed him the puck. He floats on the perimeter and waits. That's not going to get it done at higher levels and it isn't an easy habit to break out of when you've been able to get away with it for so long. That's why Danny Mattson struggled so much after leaving Holy Angels. At Holy Angels, he played the same way. He could dipsy do around and wait for the puck. He didn't play good two way hockey. He goes off to the USHL, is asked to adapt his game, and he struggles. He gets dropped by UND and ends up at Bemidji. He didn't lose his skill from the Holy Angels days. He just couldn't adapt to be asked to be more engaged on both ends. We'll see how Besse adapts because there is going to hit a point where he'll be expected to.
                          Dave Spehar struggled with that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                            I wonder if going to a school with a well defined system might be the best thing for a player like that. Having specifically defined roles might assist in changing those habits that may not work at higher levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              I wonder if going to a school with a well defined system might be the best thing for a player like that. Having specifically defined roles might assist in changing those habits that may not work at higher levels.
                              I think Besse is a talented kid and will do well at Wisconsin.

Comment

Waterloo (USHL) defenseman Eddie Wittchow told me today he'll sign his letter of intent this week for the class of 2012. Nic Kerdiles, Morgan Zulinick, and Kevin Schulze signed in the fall. At this point UW doesn't plan to sign anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X