PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

markwojo
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Following up on Chuck's last blog about Kevin Roy bailing on his Brown commitment, here's a link (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/team-canada-hopeful-kevin-roy-pretty-much-rules-175118462.html) to an article explaining he is looking for a higher profile college and not interested in QMJHL. As Chuck speculated, Wisconsin is certainly higher profile and may have some money they can cobble together with Clark departing. The article also speculates his brother who is a goalie may be a package deal. Are we still short a 3rd goalie or did we find a walkon?

Also a story on Dvorak's recruitment here (http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/uw-men-s-hockey-dvorak-decision-promising-but-on-hold/article_711b3ad0-d50a-11e1-9217-0019bb2963f4.html) I like him making a return visit and the reason being letting mom see things.

Chuck Schwartz
07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Following up on Chuck's last blog about Kevin Roy bailing on his Brown commitment, here's a link (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/team-canada-hopeful-kevin-roy-pretty-much-rules-175118462.html) to an article explaining he is looking for a higher profile college and not interested in QMJHL. As Chuck speculated, Wisconsin is certainly higher profile and may have some money they can cobble together with Clark departing. The article also speculates his brother who is a goalie may be a package deal. Are we still short a 3rd goalie or did we find a walkon?

Also a story on Dvorak's recruitment here (http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/uw-men-s-hockey-dvorak-decision-promising-but-on-hold/article_711b3ad0-d50a-11e1-9217-0019bb2963f4.html) I like him making a return visit and the reason being letting mom see things.

Wisconsin found a walk-on, Adam Miller out of the EJHL (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/6/6/3068758/badgers-add-third-string-goalie).

Chuck Schwartz
07-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Was told tonight that 2013 Badger defense recruit Tim Davison's little brother Luke has acquired his first scholarship offer from Michigan Tech. Was also told four other schools are showing serious interest and he visited UMD and Northern Michigan in the past week.

Additionally, Brett Gruber who is a 96 born player like Luke Davison and also plays at Green Bay Notre Dame has been getting some serious college attention since he finished tied for second in points at the USA Select 16 festival. I'm told 6-7 college teams have shown serious interest since camp wrapped up recently.

My thoughts on the two when I saw them play at central districts:

Luke Davison-D-(Notre Dame Academy, from DePere, WI): Younger brother of Wisconsin recruit Tim. Starting to make his own name now. 5'11, 174 and moves very well. Reads the play and moves the puck to the right man every time. Has the ability to rush the puck and can get up and go. Got beat a couple times where he didn't read the play happening in front of him fast enough. Went 21st overall to Chicago in the USHL Futures Draft.

Brett Gruber-F-(Notre Dame Academy, from Appleton, WI): Gruber's prospect status is always going to be tied to his size (5'8, 158). The problem is that every time you try and doubt him, he makes a play. He's a pure goal scorer and has a rare knack to find areas where he can get open to score goals. If he gets the puck in a shooting lane, he buries it.

DPlaya
07-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Minnetonka d-man Tommy Vannelli visiting Madison today per his twitter (https://twitter.com/nellsbaby4), & confirmed by Loren Nelson (https://twitter.com/LorenNelson4) from HockeyHub.com

"St. Cloud State, Minnesota State, Minnesota, Ohio State, RPI, Michigan Tech and Maine also showing interest in Vannelli."

Vanelli mentions UW in this article (http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/158563?referrer_id=32770) posted yesterday. They ask him what program, system or style fits his game and the only school he mentioned was Wisconsin...

Chuck Schwartz
07-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Vanelli mentions UW in this article (http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/158563?referrer_id=32770) posted yesterday. They ask him what program, system or style fits his game and the only school he mentioned was Wisconsin...

Good catch.

Q: What are you looking for in a college and it's hockey program?
A: I’m not really sure what I am looking for. I’ve been told that when I go to a college it will just feel right.

Q: Are you looking for a program that plays a particular style or has a system that you think suits your game?
A: Wisconsin, with their past history, they kind of a have a track record of developing defensemen. Guys like Jake Gardiner and Justin Schultz. They are more geared toward offensive defensemen. I think I am a little more suited for that style of play, more playmaking and getting into the flow of the play.

On a side note, I'm hearing some good things about a UW recruiting target (in terms of where the Badgers rank on his list). I'm not allowed to say anymore, but I figured I'd relay what I can.

solovsfett
07-27-2012, 07:28 AM
it can only be positive that Dvorak's mom is visiting Madison soon.

Anyone remember the Tony Granato story? he was a lock to go to Michigan State until he visited UW w/his family and bam! I'll fish that story out of "Shot And A Goal", it was pretty funny as I recall

Chuck Schwartz
07-27-2012, 07:31 AM
it can only be positive that Dvorak's mom is visiting Madison soon.

It certainly doesn't hurt things.

markwojo
07-27-2012, 10:29 AM
On a side note, I'm hearing some good things about a UW recruiting target (in terms of where the Badgers rank on his list). I'm not allowed to say anymore, but I figured I'd relay what I can.

I'm hoping you are referring to Ian McCoshen as I had kind of given up hope figuring he was going to end up a Sue.

Chuck Schwartz
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping you are referring to Ian McCoshen as I had kind of given up hope figuring he was going to end up a Sue.

He is no longer considering Wisconsin from what I've been told.

DPlaya
07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
For the past several weeks when I've had time I've been trying to put together a list of Wisconsin players that could potentially become Badgers, and thought I'd share it. I left out players who are already committed to UW or elsewhere. This list is mostly centered on high school players so there are likely some Midget players I missed. I included links to Reel Scouting videos of some of the players. That site also has footage on Seamus Malone and Nic Kerdiles if anyone is interested.

Players eligible to play college...

Now (Forwards)
Todd Koritzinsky (1 year USHL-Youngstown)
Alexander Dahl (1 year USHL-Youngstown)
Noah Nelson? (2 years USHL-Sioux City)
Evan Janssen-Dubuque USHL (1 year NAHL-Alaska)
Austin Vieth (just graduated from Notre Dame/TW Major) Chicago USHL pick & Janesville NAHL pick
Kyle Schmidt (played for Junior Admirals Midget Major last year) Waterloo draft pick?
Jason Ford-Dubuque USHL (just graduated from Waunakee/TW Major)

Now (Defense)
Alec Vanko (just graduated from Oregon/TW Major) Waterloo USHL pick
Matt Fosdick (just graduated from Brookfield/TW Major) Coulee Region NAHL pick
Mario DeMitchell (played for Junior Admirals Midget Major last year) Waterloo draft pick

Now (Goaltenders)
Austin Priebe (1 year USHL-Sioux City)

2013 (Forwards)
Jason Reynolds (Notre Dame Academy/TW) Futures pick of Youngstown USHL
Drew Callin (Jr. Admirals) Des Moines draft pick

2013 (Defense)
Michael Kapla (played for Eau Claire Memorial/TW) playing with Sioux City USHL
John Feemster (Wausau West/TW) Futures pick of Sioux Falls

2013 (Goaltenders)
Chris Nell Chicago Steel-USHL (previously Notre Dame Academy/TW Major)

2014 (Forwards)
Charley Grasskamp (Eau Claire Memorial/TW) Reel Scouting Video (http://reelhockeyscouting.com/category/birth-years/96-birthyear/graaskamp-charley-96/)
Brett Gruber (Notre Dame Academy/TW)
Jared Erickson (Waupaca/TW)
Ryan Mezera (Homestead/TW) Reel Scouting Video (http://reelhockeyscouting.com/category/birth-years/96-birthyear/mezera-ryan-96/)
Kyler Pollitt (Jr. Admirals)

2014 (Defense)
Keegan Ford-Dubuque USHL (previously played for Waunakee/TW)
Luke Davison (Notre Dame Academy/TW) Invited to USNTDP Tryout
Cooper Watson (Appleton United/TW) Invited to USNTDP Tryout-Brother plays for Ohio State

2014 (Goaltenders)
Ryan Wischow (Ashwaubenon/TW)

2015 (Defense)
Tristan Rostagno (played for Arrowhead/TW) Drafted by Muskegon USHL Reel Scouting Video (http://reelhockeyscouting.com/category/birth-years/96-birthyear/rostagno-tristan-96/)
Tarek Baker-Apparently headed to play for Russell Stover (played for Verona/TW)
Anthony Stillwell (Notre Dame Academy/TW)

2015 (Forwards)
Thomas Novak (St. Thomas Academy/TW)
Kevin Conley (Wausau West/TW)
Sam McCormick (Notre Dame Academy/TW) Brother plays for Ohio State

Also, I think the Badger hockey camp is going on this week. In addition, Team Wisconsin Major was named last week and you can find that roster here (http://www.hselitehockey.com/roster/show/539053?subseason=77440). Based on the overall roster I think they will probably struggle in the Elite League, although I hope I'm wrong.

cross cheque
08-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Not related to hockey but glad to hear Monte Ball is as good as can be after being assaulted by 5 men in Madison Wednesday, he's definitely going to be a front runner for the Heisman this year.

DPlaya
08-17-2012, 06:01 PM
According to a tweet by Andy Baggot Christian Dvorak from Chicago Mission has committed to the Badgers for 2015-2016. He is a wing who lead his Chicago Mission Minor team in goals. He was the sixth pick in the USHL Futures Draft this year by the Chicago Steel, where future UW defenseman Tim Davison is playing this season.

Timothy A
08-18-2012, 07:44 AM
According to a tweet by Andy Baggot Christian Dvorak from Chicago Mission has committed to the Badgers for 2015-2016. He is a wing who lead his Chicago Mission Minor team in goals. He was the sixth pick in the USHL Futures Draft this year by the Chicago Steel, where future UW defenseman Tim Davison is playing this season.

He was one of the players we all were hoping Eaves would land, great news. He visited quite a few schools ( UMD M St NH UND UNO OSU) and visited UW for a second time before committing. The article online says he'll come in to UW in 14 or 15, depending on how things are going. So roster gurus, would it be better to see him come in 14 or 15?

Chuck Schwartz
08-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Of course Dvorak makes his decision when I'm away from home for a few days with no computer access. That's another huge-huge-huge get for Eaves going forward. 2014 & 2015 are really starting to look nice if these kids pan out.

By the way, when I posted "On a side note, I'm hearing some good things about a UW recruiting target (in terms of where the Badgers rank on his list). I'm not allowed to say anymore, but I figured I'd relay what I can." ...I was talking about Dvorak.

UW was his leader through the process, but it doesn't hurt kids to evaluate all their options. I was told a few weeks back "he felt a loyalty to the program" ...

UW fans should be excited for this kid.

MadCityRich
08-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Not related to hockey but glad to hear Monte Ball is as good as can be after being assaulted by 5 men in Madison Wednesday, he's definitely going to be a front runner for the Heisman this year. If MonTAY was a hockey player, he would have beat the **** out of those 5 punks. ;)

The upcoming years look very promising...I can't wait to see these new recruits on the ice and return us to national contenders.

Chuck Schwartz
08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
He was one of the players we all were hoping Eaves would land, great news. He visited quite a few schools ( UMD M St NH UND UNO OSU) and visited UW for a second time before committing. The article online says he'll come in to UW in 14 or 15, depending on how things are going. So roster gurus, would it be better to see him come in 14 or 15?

Well, Wisconsin has plenty of room in both classes right now. By my projections, Wisconsin will likely be looking at bringing in 6-8 forwards in the 2014 class depending on how long Nic Kerdiles and Joseph LaBate stay. There is a very realistic chance they could both leave after 2013. Currently only Grant Besse is projected for that 2014 forward class. It's nice that Eaves has him committed for '14 or '15 to give him the flexibility. I don't have a problem with him being a 2014 kid as he'll for sure spend a full year in the USHL before coming to school regardless. Obviously an extra year in the USHL means he'll make more of an impact out of the gates at UW. Lot of time for things to play out before then.

Gandalf the Red
08-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Of course Dvorak makes his decision when I'm away from home for a few days with no computer access. That's another huge-huge-huge get for Eaves going forward. 2014 & 2015 are really starting to look nice if these kids pan out.

By the way, when I posted "On a side note, I'm hearing some good things about a UW recruiting target (in terms of where the Badgers rank on his list). I'm not allowed to say anymore, but I figured I'd relay what I can." ...I was talking about Dvorak.

UW was his leader through the process, but it doesn't hurt kids to evaluate all their options. I was told a few weeks back "he felt a loyalty to the program" ...

UW fans should be excited for this kid.

Reading Baggot's article, UW sounds like a perfect place for the kid. He has some growing to do, and if he doesn't muscle up before he reaches UW he will here, and could likely turn into a beast of a forward to go with his great skill set. I'm excited.

Eaves has done a hellavu job the last year getting some top recruits, most of them happen to be from the same program, but he is smart to go where the talent is. Still more great talent out there for him to land as the 14 & 15 classes will be big again.

Chuck Schwartz
08-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Reading Baggot's article, UW sounds like a perfect place for the kid. He has some growing to do, and if he doesn't muscle up before he reaches UW he will here, and could likely turn into a beast of a forward to go with his great skill set. I'm excited.

Eaves has done a hellavu job the last year getting some top recruits, most of them happen to be from the same program, but he is smart to go where the talent is. Still more great talent out there for him to land as the 14 & 15 classes will be big again.

He is a bit thin right now, but he's 16 years old. I was actually shocked that he took an offer for 2014 or 2015 as I figured a kid of his pedigree would only take a 2014 offer. Have to tip your cap to Eaves if he's willing to risk holding out for that extra year. I don't know for sure, but I can virtually guarantee there were schools in his final 4 that would have promised to bring him in for 2014.

Besse/Dvorak/Malone are a really good start to the 2014 & 2015 forward classes, but there is a lot of work left to do...especially for 2014.

Gandalf the Red
08-19-2012, 04:49 PM
He is a bit thin right now, but he's 16 years old. I was actually shocked that he took an offer for 2014 or 2015 as I figured a kid of his pedigree would only take a 2014 offer. Have to tip your cap to Eaves if he's willing to risk holding out for that extra year. I don't know for sure, but I can virtually guarantee there were schools in his final 4 that would have promised to bring him in for 2014.

Besse/Dvorak/Malone are a really good start to the 2014 & 2015 forward classes, but there is a lot of work left to do...especially for 2014.

Yeah, if he is this good, he'll be wearing Cardinal and White in Fall 2014 after a year in the USHL. Two years is a long time, especially for a teenager to develop physically. Hopefully he grows a few inches, could be a monster.

solovsfett
08-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Great job by Eaves and Shuey in getting Dvorak

hopefully they can bring in 2-3 more blue chippahs for 14-15

re: Monte Ball...a very curious story, I'm guessing the details will not be made available to us at any point but the entire situation is odd

maybe he can hire the Strobels for protection, those guys seemed to actually LOVE fighting