X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I always assumed that if a guy was "recruited", he wouldn't come for absolutely nothing. I suppose if he had no one else interested in him, why not come to UW and take advantage of in-state tuition levels.
    I'm sure UW has had plenty of players that have been recruited with little or no scholarship. Andy Bohmbach is a recent example that I can think of.

Like you said, the in-state thing certainly helps. As does the allure of playing for a team that you grew up idolizing. If I was a recruit and UW offered me a roster spot and my other options were maybe a half scholarship to schools like Northern Michigan, or Michigan Tech, or even St. Cloud or something...I'm probably taking the UW spot despit not getting much of a scholarship.

I'm sure I'm not the only one. Legend has it Pavelski was only on a half scholarship at Wisconsin. I have no doubt he had full rides from most any school if he wanted it. I even found out recently the Gophers made a late charge at him.
    Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      If you don't mind me asking, where is the criticism coming from?
      The criticism is that the biggest concern with the kid is his ability to handle physical play, and he's choosing to play no-contact hockey next year. He's proven about all he can at that level and Minnesota HS hockey is going to be even worse next year than it was this year. It's not going to doom him by any means, but certainly raises some questions.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        The criticism is that the biggest concern with the kid is his ability to handle physical play, and he's choosing to play no-contact hockey next year. He's proven about all he can at that level and Minnesota HS hockey is going to be even worse next year than it was this year. It's not going to doom him by any means, but certainly raises some questions.
        Hmmm... I am certainly not going to claim that MNHS hockey is close to as physical as the USHL (I'd argue in ways college hockey isn't as physical as the USHL), but I wouldn't stereotype MNHS hockey as "no contact" either. And I don't think a league like the BCHL is all that much more physical than MNHS hockey.

And may I ask you why you think MNHS hockey is going to be "worse" this season? I assume you are referring to departures. Yes, that has some impact, but there is a lot of talent there as well.

Like I said. I can see both ways. Personally, I think it's a little over-blown. The kid is going to be a great player regardless.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          I'm sure UW has had plenty of players that have been recruited with little or no scholarship. Andy Bohmbach is a recent example that I can think of.

Like you said, the in-state thing certainly helps. As does the allure of playing for a team that you grew up idolizing. If I was a recruit and UW offered me a roster spot and my other options were maybe a half scholarship to schools like Northern Michigan, or Michigan Tech, or even St. Cloud or something...I'm probably taking the UW spot despit not getting much of a scholarship.

I'm sure I'm not the only one. Legend has it Pavelski was only on a half scholarship at Wisconsin. I have no doubt he had full rides from most any school if he wanted it. I even found out recently the Gophers made a late charge at him.
          From what I have been told, everyone on the roster gets at least a ~8% ride, as that allows them full access to all resources open to all scholarship athletes (training tables, tutors, etc) that are not available to non-scholarship athletes out of season.

Most of the WI kids are at 25% or less, effectively Eaves sees most of them as role players who start as nothing more than interchangeable parts and that they can earn an increased % based on performance.

For the WI kids who have ended up at other schools, I would suspect that all of them received a larger offer than what UW was offering.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            From what I have been told, everyone on the roster gets at least a ~8% ride, as that allows them full access to all resources open to all scholarship athletes (training tables, tutors, etc) that are not available to non-scholarship athletes out of season.
            Good info to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              Good info to know.
              While I trust my source(s) that everyone receives something, I'm not sure on either the exact amount or the convoluted NCAA compliance reasoning behind it. My understanding is that the level has to do with preventing any player from having to pay extra to be a member of the team or be excluded from any team activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                While I trust my source(s) that everyone receives something, I'm not sure on either the exact amount or the convoluted NCAA compliance reasoning behind it. My understanding is that the level has to do with preventing any player from having to pay extra to be a member of the team or be excluded from any team activities.
                It also has a lot to do with team meals. Knowing people who work solely feeding UW's athletes, non-scholarship players have to pay extra for team meals, even if they are mandatory. As a hungry college student, one of my friends would bring left overs from football meals quite regularly. They eat pretty well and it translates into very expensive meals ($15-20 a meal) for players not on scholarship (Most of this is from football team meals. I know a lot less about hockey team meals since my friend would work those a lot less but I would assume the situations are fairly similar).
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  why is MNSHL going to he worse next year? even w/departures to USHL or USNDTP, there is going to be plenty of talent to replace that I can assure you (our mn friends can chime in on that more, I've only been watching the tourney for the last 3-4 years or so...)
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                    It also has a lot to do with team meals. Knowing people who work solely feeding UW's athletes, non-scholarship players have to pay extra for team meals, even if they are mandatory. As a hungry college student, one of my friends would bring left overs from football meals quite regularly. They eat pretty well and it translates into very expensive meals ($15-20 a meal) for players not on scholarship (Most of this is from football team meals. I know a lot less about hockey team meals since my friend would work those a lot less but I would assume the situations are fairly similar).
                    I think that team meals during travel are covered, but the daily training table meals would have to be covered by the student. A $10 to $15 meal each day during the season would result in about a $1300 to $2000 bill.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      why is MNSHL going to he worse next year? even w/departures to USHL or USNDTP, there is going to be plenty of talent to replace that I can assure you (our mn friends can chime in on that more, I've only been watching the tourney for the last 3-4 years or so...)
                      The MNSHSL began cracking down on head contact, hits from behind and boarding after the Jablonski injury. Many think it is leading to a less physical game when it was already considered less physical than Midget Major or Junior hockey played elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        The MNSHSL began cracking down on head contact, hits from behind and boarding after the Jablonski injury. Many think it is leading to a less physical game when it was already considered less physical than Midget Major or Junior hockey played elsewhere.
                        very interesting...the MNSHSL tourney seemed plenty physical at times, I know I saw some big hits from the kids from Hill-Murray. I'm assuming the tourney was played under the new rules and/or refereeing? or are there further changes to implement next year?
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

very interesting...the MNSHSL tourney seemed plenty physical at times, I know I saw some big hits from the kids from Hill-Murray. I'm assuming the tourney was played under the new rules and/or refereeing? or are there further changes to implement next year?
                          It is really only one kid on Hill Murray that hits hard and he does a pretty good job of picking his spots. There is no doubt the knee jerk reaction to JJ's situation made the rest of the HS season more wimpy from a physical standpoint. Whether it stays that way or goes back to the way it was before remains to be seen.

RE: Besse. I don't have an issue with Besse staying at BSM. If he was a 2013 recruit, I'd think it was a bad decision since he needs to show a better all around game (like Maize said above). But he'll have another year after HS to show if he can deal with that stuff before college. Next year certainly won't answer the questions about his game though.

It is hard to say anything about BSM's schedule until we see it. I'd be a bit careful about praising any HS loyalty stuff though when you consider he bailed out on his community to play at a private school.

I don't disagree that MNHS will be down next year. When you consider the level of talent in next year's senior class that could be there but won't be (some of this year's best juniors will leave for junior hockey), it will be a shadow of what it could have been.
                          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

I agree until the youth programs in the twin cities start to lose numbers, which I don't see happening. There will always be kids waiting for there chance to shine. The new group of potenial recruits will step in.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hammy;5428109]
                              It is hard to say anything about BSM's schedule until we see it. I'd be a bit careful about praising any HS loyalty stuff though when you consider he bailed out on his community to play at a private school.

QUOTE]

I agree with the private school comment and loyalty. I don't understand how some privates play in A and some play in AA. Do you know what the cut off is for this? Do some private schools just decide to play up or are they just much bigger private schools?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                                I agree with the private school comment and loyalty. I don't understand how some privates play in A and some play in AA. Do you know what the cut off is for this? Do some private schools just decide to play up or are they just much bigger private schools?
                                I'm not 100% sure but I believe the largest 64 schools in student enrollment are automatically considered Class AA. A small number decide to opt up into Class AA (i.e. Grand Rapids, Roseau, Benilde). Since private schools tend to be smaller in enrollment size, they can get away with playing Class A even though they should be playing up. The worst offender IMO is St. Thomas Academy. There's no good reason for them to not be playing AA.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X