X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Interview with new 2015 recruit Seamus Malone if anyone is interested. Talks about why he chose Wisconsin.

LINK

"I pride myself in being a 2-way player. I play both ends of the ice. I can be a play-maker and a goal scorer. I'm a hard working leader, and a good teammate."--Seamus Malone
    I like that he is a solid two way player. The Badgers need more guys like this. When I think of the 2006 and 2010 teams they had a lot of talented two way players, w/ few one way offense (Robbie Earl or Michael Davies) and few one way defensive (Ben Grotting comes to mind) guys. More Derek Stepan's, more Blake Geoffrion's, more Joe Pavelski's, maybe not in size, but in the quality and the effort they bring each night. The PK needs help (never thought I would type that).

Eaves has made some solid pick ups this last year, nice high end guys. I actually like that they aren't filling the cupboard with tons of players, because they can always find a solid 4 year player late, but kids like Malone, Beese, Kerdiles (I know he verballed several years ago) are critical. I personally think Oz had a lot to do w/ the over recruiting, as somewhat of an overreaction to the early departures and Eaves went along with it. Just a theory based on the evidence in front of me, because there has sure been a change in the last few years and at Ohio State Oz is filling his cupboard.
    Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
    Originally posted by UWisco
    It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      C'mon man... is this necessary?
      In more ways than one. We've all got him on ignore by now, so anything he says is falling on deaf ears to begin with.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
        How about when they become a point-plus a game player in juniors as a 16 year old?
        Can we perma-ban this guy already?
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Man, not one comment on the new recruit? I know he's only a 2015 recruit but for a fan base full of experts on what kind of kids we should be recruiting (I kid, I kid ), I thought he might generate a little chatter.
          sounds like he could be a great pick-up but as was said earlier, Corbin Mcguire was also highly regarded @ 15. that and we'll know a lot more in two years when Malone has had his first year at the NTDP in or some more experience to gauge from
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            sounds like he could be a great pick-up but as was said earlier, Corbin Mcguire was also highly regarded @ 15. that and we'll know a lot more in two years when Malone has had his first year at the NTDP in or some more experience to gauge from
            Not much to go on but here is an ISO game if you want to watch him. Looks pretty talented for a high school freshman, and that's a pretty high caliber league.

Corbin McGuire is an interesting situation. He left for the USHL his junior year of high school and hasn't been the same since he suffered that concussion in Fargo. I'm guessing next year in the EJHL where he will be relied upon to be 'the man' will be good for him. He'll have plenty of opportunities to put up points and get his 'swagger' back.

Comment

Not much to go on but here is an ISO game if you want to watch him. Looks pretty talented for a high school freshman, and that's a pretty high caliber league.

Corbin McGuire is an interesting situation. He left for the USHL his junior year of high school and hasn't been the same since he suffered that concussion in Fargo. I'm guessing next year in the EJHL where he will be relied upon to be 'the man' will be good for him. He'll have plenty of opportunities to put up points and get his 'swagger' back.
              excellent pass on the first goal, and for a frosh looks remarkable defensively responsible. dangerous play trying to keep the puck in at the point on the pp but clearly a good stick-handler. wow. thanks for the link!

re: Mcguire, that's too bad to hear re: the concussion and his play since. we'll see what another year in jrs can do for him I guess.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

2014 defense recruit Jake Linhart was drafted today in the OHL Priority Selection by Plymouth in the 9th round. 2015 forward recruit Seamus Malone was also take by Plymouth in the 14th round.

Neither are considered serious flight risks.

Comment

I'll start checking around on this, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if the coaching staff was evaluating goaltending options for the 2013 recruiting class.

Comment

Why would we need another goalie? Is someone leaving?

Comment

I'll start checking around on this, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if the coaching staff was evaluating goaltending options for the 2013 recruiting class.
                      That seems pretty crazy with Grunwald scheduled to come in 2013 to add another goalie. Bringing in 2 goalies in 2013 would mean they'd have scholarship 4 goalies on the roster in 2013/2014, which is unheard of. Even if Eaves is worried Rumpel might leave after next year, Petersen is very capable and Grunwald would have 2 years to learn the ropes. I'm reading into this that Grunwald is not coming for one reason or another.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        That seems pretty crazy with Grunwald scheduled to come in 2013 to add another goalie. Bringing in 2 goalies in 2013 would mean they'd have scholarship 4 goalies on the roster in 2013/2014, which is unheard of. Even if Eaves is worried Rumpel might leave after next year, Petersen is very capable and Grunwald would have 2 years to learn the ropes. I'm reading into this that Grunwald is not coming for one reason or another.
                        I'm not sure Peterson is on scholarship, not that it's relevant. And no, they won't have four 'scholarship type' goalies on the roster either. But I'm far from convinced that Grunwald is going to ever make it to campus. He's played in just 14 games this season, and played only 4 full games. And it's not like he's sitting behind Tim Thomas either. The kid playing over him in Kenai has a .900 save %.

If he can't see the ice in the NAHL as a '93, something is up. I'm pulling for the kid but it's something to keep an eye on, that's all.

Comment

I'm not sure Peterson is on scholarship, not that it's relevant. And no, they won't have four 'scholarship type' goalies on the roster either. But I'm far from convinced that Grunwald is going to ever make it to campus. He's played in just 14 games this season, and played only 4 full games. And it's not like he's sitting behind Tim Thomas either. The kid playing over him in Kenai has a .900 save %.

If he can't see the ice in the NAHL as a '93, something is up. I'm pulling for the kid but it's something to keep an eye on, that's all.
                          I'd be shocked if more than 2 full ride equivalents total were split among all the goalies on the roster.

If you can't be the #1 goalie in the NAHL, I have a hard time believing that you will be the answer as the #1 goalie at the D1 level. Still time before he would step on campus and often goalies may take some time to develop and adjust to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                            I'd be shocked if more than 2 full ride equivalents total were split among all the goalies on the roster.

If you can't be the #1 goalie in the NAHL, I have a hard time believing that you will be the answer as the #1 goalie at the D1 level. Still time before he would step on campus and often goalies may take some time to develop and adjust to the next level.
                            Yeah, I mean I don't have any facts here but on the surface putting things together I don't think Peterson is on much (if any) scholarship. And the coaches obviously want to get back to a freshman/junior rotation.

So you've got Rumpel taking a full scholarship 12-13, 13-14, & 14-15; Peterson likely not on much of one the same years. And then you bring in another scholarship goalie in 2013, whether that be Grunwald or another kid.

Problem with selling a new goalie recruit on 2013 is that he knows he's not only going to be behind Rumpel, but he's got Peterson in front of him as well for two years.

Comment

2014 defense recruit Jake Linhart (Green Bay), & 2015 forward recruit Seamus Malone (Dubuque) have tendered with USHL teams for next season.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Grant Besse said he's coming back to Benilde-St. Margaret's for his senior season.
                              Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 04-11-2012, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I noticed Keegan Ford was tendered as well. Any word on interest from both sides?

Comment

Working...
                                X