PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Chuck Schwartz
05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
On one hand, the fact his Dad played for UW is a plus, on the other hand, the fact Zach is a cousin who had a terrible experience with Eaves is a negative. If a F is added for 2013, maybe I'd hold out for a studlier guy, he only had 36 pts for Lincoln in 10-11.

The Bearson thing is kind if interesting, the only reason I heard about that is because I posted this on twitter and Zach saw it and and tweeted at me, "Eric Scheid is also my cousin...maybe he'll ask me about Eaver lol." So I responded, "haha, well then...I guess we can squash that idea?" And Zach's response was, "ha naw if he wants an opinion I'll give him one, but smearing is for bagels and politicians lol."

So you can take that for what it's worth.

Badgers1
05-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if UW had interest in UAA transfer Eric Scheid (forward). 15 points as a frosh last year. Dad, Jim played at Wisconsin. He would have 3 years of eligibility remaining and would be eligible for the fall of 2013. Expected to be in the USHL next season. With the only forwards in this class being Zulinick and Kerdiles, adding a transfer in a year to join them will help balance the classes. Scheid is the cousin of Zach Bearson.

I recall a Tony Scheid also played for Wisconsin in the 80's, possible his uncle? Don't remember if Jim and Tony were brothers for sure.

state of hockey
05-05-2012, 12:22 PM
I recall a Tony Scheid also played for Wisconsin in the 80's, possible his uncle? Don't remember if Jim and Tony were brothers for sure.

One is from Austin, the other Rochester. Both southeastern Minnesota. I suppose it is possible. They might be cousins as well.

MaizeRage
05-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Dorr and Mankato as well.

And Dorr helped give the Gophers the points they needed to win the MacNaughton this year, so that was a pretty shrewd move by Lucia.

Timothy A
05-06-2012, 06:36 AM
The Bearson thing is kind if interesting, the only reason I heard about that is because I posted this on twitter and Zach saw it and and tweeted at me, "Eric Scheid is also my cousin...maybe he'll ask me about Eaver lol." So I responded, "haha, well then...I guess we can squash that idea?" And Zach's response was, "ha naw if he wants an opinion I'll give him one, but smearing is for bagels and politicians lol."

So you can take that for what it's worth.

"smearing is for bagels and politicians lol." That is funny! So Zach will take the high road then......good for him.

MadCityRich
05-06-2012, 08:22 PM
One is from Austin, the other Rochester. Both southeastern Minnesota. I suppose it is possible. They might be cousins as well. Isn't everybody in gophersota related? ;);) (I used 2 in case you guys didn't see 1)

TJbadgerfan
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Isn't everybody in gophersota related? ;);) (I used 2 in case you guys didn't see 1)
Even if you just drive through the state, everything you accomplish is because you have a connection to the state.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-07-2012, 07:42 AM
"smearing is for bagels and politicians lol." That is funny! So Zach will take the high road then......good for him.Absolutely.

Good line, too.

Timothy A
05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Isn't everybody in gophersota related? ;);) (I used 2 in case you guys didn't see 1)

I thought that was North Dakota....

Chuck Schwartz
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Badgers lost out to Notre Dame for Chicago Mission U16 d-man Bobby Nardella tonight. Nardella was a teammate of future Badgers Jake Linhart and Seamus Malone.

JDUBBS1280
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Sounds like the Badger's recruiting pipeline is going to be far behind the Gopher's and Wolverine's when the Big Ten starts.

markwojo
05-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Hold me...I'm a rodent fan trolling a Badger thread chirping about the vaunted rodent recruiting that has produced an NCAA opening round loss to Holy Cross as the most memorable accomplishment in the last decade.

JDUBBS1280
05-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Hold me...I'm a rodent fan trolling a Badger thread chirping about the vaunted rodent recruiting that has produced an NCAA opening round loss to Holy Cross as the most memorable accomplishment in the last decade.

Just making conversation. Minnesota and Michigan EASILY have the two best recruiting classes for 2013. I would say Wisconsin is a distant third.

markwojo
05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Just making conversation. Minnesota and Michigan EASILY have the two best recruiting classes for 2013. I would say Wisconsin is a distant third. And that has EASILY been the case for the past decade. I'll take my chances with Eaves and Co developing talent and Don doing less with more.

JDUBBS1280
05-09-2012, 09:15 AM
And that has EASILY been the case for the past decade. I'll take my chances with Eaves and Co developing talent and Don doing less with more.

Fair point. I will concede that Eaves is an amazing coach.

Timothy A
05-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Fair point. I will concede that Eaves is an amazing coach. I'm not sure I'd call him "amazing". Amazing coaches at bigtime schools don't have teams who finish near or under .500 and on the road in the first round of the playoffs and miss the NCAA's for half of their tenure. Eaves does have an amazing eye for talent seeing he's loading up the NHL with impact players, but those players have only produced 2 great seasons while in the Cardinal and White. I'd put tDon and Red ahead of Eaves as far as a college coach goes.

markwojo
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Not sure there can ever be a pure pecking order of coaches as each circumstance and situation is unique. Wisconsin is not Minnesota which is not Michigan. The fate and sucess of these coaches and teams are acutely tied to decisions of teenagers. Who commits, who renigs to late to find a compareable recruit, who don't adapt at the higher level, who decides they want to leave before you could reasonably have expects and on and on. I know all schools have their hiccups and unpleasant suprises be it decommits, early departures, last minute switches to junior, but Eaves has had some ****ty luck with these issues. Turris and Gagner were set to be a dynamic duo until Gagner's dad got an asistant gig and Sam got whatever sweetheart deal he got. Turris made the blunder of leaving after one year when he likely would have went from good college player to difference maker as a soph. Hell, last years squad without Craig Smith really developing so well so quick and Murray's unique citizenship situation would have been so much better then the one horse (line) trick show it was losing 2 top 6 forwards way to late in the game to replace. All that said, excuses are for losers and Eaves bares the burden of fixing the problems in the end. I'm not so sure he isn't one of the better college coaches and that this coming season is not a significant up year again with Kerdelis and Zullnick adding some scoring/talent depth to the one line trick show (that and some of the other youngin's developing as well). This is looking to be a really deep team in the circa '06 and '10 variety. Hopefully Eaves is evolving in his stewarship of the program to minimize the valley's we've been seeing, but I'm not sure anyone will ever be able to do that indefinately as there is just to much volatility in what kids you can get to come & stay (or how long they'll stay) for anyone to stay at a peak indefinately (although BC has been on a nice run of late).

wjefwhite
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure I'd call him "amazing". Amazing coaches at bigtime schools don't have teams who finish near or under .500 and on the road in the first round of the playoffs and miss the NCAA's for half of their tenure. Eaves does have an amazing eye for talent seeing he's loading up the NHL with impact players, but those players have only produced 2 great seasons while in the Cardinal and White. I'd put tDon and Red ahead of Eaves as far as a college coach goes.

Totally disagree. Ask the NY Islanders how Lucia developers players... No one has said that about Eaves.

RinkPig
05-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Totally disagree. Ask the NY Islanders how Lucia developers players... No one has said that about Eaves.

Get back to us with this argument when Garth Snow has a .500 team.

JDUBBS1280
05-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Yeah, let's take Garth Snow's word for it :rolleyes:

Or, we can just go with 2>1