This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    2014 recruit Grant Besse (Benilde-St. Margarets) will be starting the playoffs on Thursday vs Holy Family. Benilde is in the LOADED section 6 with three of the top ten teams in the state.

Besse has a 31 game point streak going dating back to last season. He finished this regular season with 75 points in 25 games (2nd overall in class AA scoring).
    Someone tell Chuck Section 6AA has 4 of the Top 10 teams in Class AA, not 3. Minnetonka (2), BSM (6), Eden Prairie (7), and Wayzata (8).

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      2014 recruit Grant Besse (Benilde-St. Margarets) will be starting the playoffs on Thursday vs Holy Family. Benilde is in the LOADED section 6 with three of the top ten teams in the state.

Besse has a 31 game point streak going dating back to last season. He finished this regular season with 75 points in 25 games (2nd overall in class AA scoring).
      Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      Someone tell Chuck Section 6AA has 4 of the Top 10 teams in Class AA, not 3. Minnetonka (2), BSM (6), Eden Prairie (7), and Wayzata (8).

Note the bolded part, BSM with 3 of the top ten.
      If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
        Note the bolded part, BSM with 3 of the top ten.
        Oh I see what he was saying. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
          Oh I see what he was saying. Thank you.
          Your welcome, that's what I'm here for.
          If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

2013 UW D recruit Tim Davison turning it on in the playoffs. 3G & 3A in 2 W's. Will play sectional final Sat. vs Bay Port.

Comment

2014 recruit Grant Besse with 4 goals and 2 assists in a 7-0 win for Benilde tonight. They advance to the section semi-finals on Saturday night.

Comment

Interestingly, 3 Wisconsin natives lead thier teams in scoring, George from Bemiji, Olsen from Tech and Mauermann from Providence. Eaves really didn't pursue any of these, did he? Mauermann could have come in this yr and filled Smith's spot, I like the idea of a 21 yr old Fr vs 18 yr olds, since the vast majority of college players are not 18 yr old when they are a Fr.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Interestingly, 3 Wisconsin natives lead thier teams in scoring, George from Bemiji, Olsen from Tech and Mauermann from Providence. Eaves really didn't pursue any of these, did he? Mauermann could have come in this yr and filled Smith's spot, I like the idea of a 21 yr old Fr vs 18 yr olds, since the vast majority of college players are not 18 yr old when they are a Fr.
                  None were recruited by Wisconsin, no.

Considering Smith signed in late July he was virtually impossible to replace. Mauermann committed late, but he was still committed to Providence before Smith left. Remember that Smith was adamant that he was returning. He said multiple times in the press that he was returning and even signed an apartment lease for this season.

You also have to keep in mind that Wisconsin already has 15 forwards on the roster, lose none and bring in two for next season. 17 next season is probably too many. 18 would have been ridiculous. I'm still not convinced that there will be 17 next year though...

Comment

None were recruited by Wisconsin, no.

Considering Smith signed in late July he was virtually impossible to replace. Mauermann committed late, but he was still committed to Providence before Smith left. Remember that Smith was adamant that he was returning. He said multiple times in the press that he was returning and even signed an apartment lease for this season.

You also have to keep in mind that Wisconsin already has 15 forwards on the roster, lose none and bring in two for next season. 17 next season is probably too many. 18 would have been ridiculous. I'm still not convinced that there will be 17 next year though...
                    I was thinking the same thing about the numbers @ F next year. D are the same way next year, they are carrying 8, lose 2, gain 2 for 8. How does Eaves end up with so many players riding the pine? Is he giving out tons of partials, thus carrying a lot of players on the team? I wish Eaves would carry less players on the roster and give they guys he has on it more of a chance to play. Maybe guys like Bearson and Hickey could have contributed had they been given the chance to. Just read Eaves' comments about Meuer, he was surprised Meuer is doing what he is doing. If the injury bug doesn't hit, Meuer doesn't get a chance and he could have ended up another Bearson. I don't think Eaves' is very committed to the guys on the team when he plays Fr ahead of non-Fr on a regular basis. At some point he liked So "X" so much he recruited him and gave him some $ to play on the team, but them Eaves fall in love with Fr. player "Y", and "X" is doomed. I understand he has to protect himself numbers-wise due to early departures, but I don't think player "X" knows up front he's just a just in case filler guy, that's why they leave vs sticking it out.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about the numbers @ F next year. D are the same way next year, they are carrying 8, lose 2, gain 2 for 8. How does Eaves end up with so many players riding the pine? Is he giving out tons of partials, thus carrying a lot of players on the team? I wish Eaves would carry less players on the roster and give they guys he has on it more of a chance to play. Maybe guys like Bearson and Hickey could have contributed had they been given the chance to. Just read Eaves' comments about Meuer, he was surprised Meuer is doing what he is doing. If the injury bug doesn't hit, Meuer doesn't get a chance and he could have ended up another Bearson. I don't think Eaves' is very committed to the guys on the team when he plays Fr ahead of non-Fr on a regular basis. At some point he liked So "X" so much he recruited him and gave him some $ to play on the team, but them Eaves fall in love with Fr. player "Y", and "X" is doomed. I understand he has to protect himself numbers-wise due to early departures, but I don't think player "X" knows up front he's just a just in case filler guy, that's why they leave vs sticking it out.
                      I disagree with many things in this post so here goes.

-An ideal roster will include 3 goalies, 8 defensemen, and 15 forwards. Wisconsin currently has...3 goalies, 8 defensemen, and 15 forwards. I mean what are you supposed to do when Ryan Little breaks his hand, and Jake McCabe cuts his wrist and Derek Lee goes down too? You need extra bodies. Not every roster is going to have this idea number, but that's a general outline and Eaves usually keeps it pretty close to that. Obviously next year we'll have a couple extra forwards but with the unbalanced classes, it's hard to avoid that right now.

-Comparing Bearson to Meuer is like comparing apples to oranges. They are compeltely different. Bearson was a full scholarship USHL scorer. Meuer is a walk on grinder. I like Keegan a lot but it's not like he's transformed into Joe Pavelski all of a sudden. If injuries don't happen, he's just Keegan, an energy guy that's going to bust his butt for you and hit anything.

-You think we're losing guys early because players are upset that freshmen are playing over them? Um, no. Eaves plays who he thinks gives the team the best chance to win on any given night. The only real complaint most people have is Gorowosky who (maybe) didn't get as much playing time his junior year. He still played almost a full season his sophomore year and played a full year his senior year.

I think it's silly and borderline insane to think that Eaves is going to play a player over another because he "fell in love with him" recruiting him. Maybe people don't understand but this is a full time job for these coaches. They have families to support, kids and wives to think about. Can you honestly tell me they aren't going to put the best team out on the ice?

I mean honestly, there is a reason why walk on types like John Mitchell and Andy Bohmbach played considerably more than a full scholarship player like Bearson his freshman season. And it wasn't because Eaves fell in love with them recruiting them.
                      Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 02-25-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

-You think we're losing guys early because players are upset that freshmen are playing over them? Um, no. Eaves plays who he thinks gives the team the best chance to win on any given night. The only real complaint most people have is Gorowosky who (maybe) didn't get as much playing time his junior year. He still played almost a full season his sophomore year and played a full year his senior year.

I think it's silly and borderline insane to think that Eaves is going to play a player over another because he "fell in love with him" recruiting him. Maybe people don't understand but this is a full time job for these coaches. They have families to support, kids and wives to think about. Can you honestly tell me they aren't going to put the best team out on the ice?

I mean honestly, there is a reason why walk on types like John Mitchell and Andy Bohmbach played considerably more than a full scholarship player like Bearson his freshman season. And it wasn't because Eaves fell in love with them recruiting them.
                        On top of that, we have no idea what happens outside of on the ice during games. What a player did in HS and at the USHL will get them to UW, what they do AT UW is what will get them on the ice here. NO player is guaranteed any playtime, every player has to earn ice-time. When the player does get a chance, it is up to the player to take advantage of it.

Comment

it could be a case of guys not performing in practice or not working as hard as Eaves wants them too on whatever details they've been told to work on. that's probably why Leavitt had to go. I'm guessing Doug McDonald as talented as he was would NEVER make it under Eaves, he'd be a one and done considering he was an Allen Iverson type "we're talking about practice?" guy.
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            it could be a case of guys not performing in practice or not working as hard as Eaves wants them too on whatever details they've been told to work on. that's probably why Leavitt had to go. I'm guessing Doug McDonald as talented as he was would NEVER make it under Eaves, he'd be a one and done considering he was an Allen Iverson type "we're talking about practice?" guy.
                            Going to go out on a limb and say that's not why Alex Leavitt left the program...

Comment

Going to go out on a limb and say that's not why Alex Leavitt left the program...
                              I'm pretty sure I read that the constant insubordination on Leavitt's part, his lack of a work ethic (or at least under Eaves) is what led to that hotel room scuffle, that's what I'm getting at with that. if you don't practice hard 100% of the time you're begging to ride the pine under Eaves
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Curious for people that went to State tonight (or watched online) what they thought of Tim Davison? I think I've made my comments on him well known around here previously.

PS, Grant Besse advanced to the Minnesota state tournament last night. I was in attendance at Mariucci, he's going to be reaaaaal good. Had a lot of folks buzzing about his play last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X