PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Chuck Schwartz
04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
That seems pretty crazy with Grunwald scheduled to come in 2013 to add another goalie. Bringing in 2 goalies in 2013 would mean they'd have scholarship 4 goalies on the roster in 2013/2014, which is unheard of. Even if Eaves is worried Rumpel might leave after next year, Petersen is very capable and Grunwald would have 2 years to learn the ropes. I'm reading into this that Grunwald is not coming for one reason or another.

I'm not sure Peterson is on scholarship, not that it's relevant. And no, they won't have four 'scholarship type' goalies on the roster either. But I'm far from convinced that Grunwald is going to ever make it to campus. He's played in just 14 games this season, and played only 4 full games. And it's not like he's sitting behind Tim Thomas either. The kid playing over him in Kenai has a .900 save %.

If he can't see the ice in the NAHL as a '93, something is up. I'm pulling for the kid but it's something to keep an eye on, that's all.

Almington
04-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure Peterson is on scholarship, not that it's relevant. And no, they won't have four 'scholarship type' goalies on the roster either. But I'm far from convinced that Grunwald is going to ever make it to campus. He's played in just 14 games this season, and played only 4 full games. And it's not like he's sitting behind Tim Thomas either. The kid playing over him in Kenai has a .900 save %.

If he can't see the ice in the NAHL as a '93, something is up. I'm pulling for the kid but it's something to keep an eye on, that's all.

I'd be shocked if more than 2 full ride equivalents total were split among all the goalies on the roster.

If you can't be the #1 goalie in the NAHL, I have a hard time believing that you will be the answer as the #1 goalie at the D1 level. Still time before he would step on campus and often goalies may take some time to develop and adjust to the next level.

Chuck Schwartz
04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I'd be shocked if more than 2 full ride equivalents total were split among all the goalies on the roster.

If you can't be the #1 goalie in the NAHL, I have a hard time believing that you will be the answer as the #1 goalie at the D1 level. Still time before he would step on campus and often goalies may take some time to develop and adjust to the next level.

Yeah, I mean I don't have any facts here but on the surface putting things together I don't think Peterson is on much (if any) scholarship. And the coaches obviously want to get back to a freshman/junior rotation.

So you've got Rumpel taking a full scholarship 12-13, 13-14, & 14-15; Peterson likely not on much of one the same years. And then you bring in another scholarship goalie in 2013, whether that be Grunwald or another kid.

Problem with selling a new goalie recruit on 2013 is that he knows he's not only going to be behind Rumpel, but he's got Peterson in front of him as well for two years.

Chuck Schwartz
04-11-2012, 01:03 AM
2014 defense recruit Jake Linhart (Green Bay), & 2015 forward recruit Seamus Malone (Dubuque) have tendered (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/4/10/2940255/malone-linhart-tendered-by-ushl-clubs) with USHL teams for next season.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Grant Besse said he's coming back to Benilde-St. Margaret's for his senior season.

Badgers1
04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I noticed Keegan Ford was tendered as well. Any word on interest from both sides?

Timothy A
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure Peterson is on scholarship,

Wouldn't he be a walk-on then?

Chuck Schwartz
04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Wouldn't he be a walk-on then?

Not really, guess it depends on your definition of walk-on. I tend to think of a walk on as a who has to tryout to make the team, which is far from the case in this scenario as Peterson was recruited. It just seems from assessing the situation on when he committed (late), his background (not highly touted), etc (in-state kid) that if he's on scholarship...I'd guess it's not a big one.

Chuck Schwartz
04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
I noticed Keegan Ford was tendered as well. Any word on interest from both sides?

Yes. And the '96 birth year from the state of Wisconsin is super deep as well so Eaves is taking his time. Tim Davison's younger brother Luke is another defenseman from this class to keep an eye on as well as Cooper Watson (Appleton), the younger brother of Cliff who is going to Ohio State. All three of Davison, Watson, and Ford are certainly on the radar but it doesn't seem like anything is imminent with any of them.

Chuck Schwartz
04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Besse is getting some criticism for his decision to return for his senior season at Benilde. It's not really that surprising that he's coming back given that he's a 2014 recruit and is going to have to play a year of junior after high school anyways (probably). I would have liked to see him in the USHL or BCHL next year but I'm surprised at some of the comments about it being a big mistake.

I have mixed opinions on it. Benilde will have an independent schedule next season so they will play one of the toughest schedules in the state probably. There's also something to be said about being a captain and leading a team as a senior, that's a valuable experience. That said, you just hope he's not stalling his development.

mnstate0fhockey
04-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Besse is getting some criticism for his decision to return for his senior season at Benilde. It's not really that surprising that he's coming back given that he's a 2014 recruit and is going to have to play a year of junior after high school anyways (probably). I would have liked to see him in the USHL or BCHL next year but I'm surprised at some of the comments about it being a big mistake.

I have mixed opinions on it. Benilde will have an independent schedule next season so they will play one of the toughest schedules in the state probably. There's also something to be said about being a captain and leading a team as a senior, that's a valuable experience. That said, you just hope he's not stalling his development.

If you don't mind me asking, where is the criticism coming from?

solovsfett
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM

maybe he wants a 2nd title? has he made a statement re: his return?

also I wouldn't count out the emotional attachment to BSM given all that they went through this season. Is he in the same class as JJ?

mnstate0fhockey
04-12-2012, 12:02 AM

also I wouldn't count out the emotional attachment to BSM given all that they went through this season. Is he in the same class as JJ?

Jablonski will be a Junior I believe. Besse will be a Senior.

Chuck Schwartz
04-12-2012, 12:37 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where is the criticism coming from?

Guy from Future Considerations was pretty outspoken against it. There have been some other opinions off the record.

LINK (http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/146747045.html)

Q Why are you deciding to come back to high school now when there are unknowns ahead like the NHL draft that could change your situation?

A The thing that matters is just loyalty to the team. Before my freshman year I maybe wasn't as committed to the team, but after everything we've been through with Jack [Jablonski] and how close we've become, we're basically all brothers. I don't feel I could bring myself to let that go. I don't want to run off and play somewhere else and leave them hung out to dry.

Chuck's note: Benilde has lost two defensemen (Ryan Collins and Jack Glover) that would have been juniors next year to the NTDP.

Q Why are you deciding to come back to high school now when there are unknowns ahead like the NHL draft that could change your situation?

A The thing that matters is just loyalty to the team. Before my freshman year I maybe wasn't as committed to the team, but after everything we've been through with Jack [Jablonski] and how close we've become, we're basically all brothers. I don't feel I could bring myself to let that go. I don't want to run off and play somewhere else and leave them hung out to dry.

Q Is Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves supportive of your decision?

A Yeah, I've been talking to him about staying in high school. He said, 'Whatever you want to do, we'll support you.' He thought it would be a cool thing for me to stay home, graduate from Benilde and try and win another state championship. And we're going to have an independent schedule next fall, so I think the level of competition will be better and help my development even more.

Q Does coach Eaves feel you could play for him right out of high school or are you looking at playing juniors at some point?

A The scholarship they gave me was for the 2014 season, so as of right now I'd play a year of juniors after high school. But I've heard they are re-evaluating and there is a chance I could come in as a true freshman.

solovsfett
04-12-2012, 08:01 AM
thanks Chuck and Mnstateofhockey for the info!

mnstate0fhockey
04-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks Chuck.

Gandalf the Red
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Looks like another Mr. Hockey from MN will be a Badger when Besse wins it next season. He has to be the front runner from everything I've seen.

I think it is great that he is doing what he wants to w/ his life. I find it funny (sometimes laughing at myself in hindsight) that everyone has the answer on how some young man should live their life. Would he play against better competition next year in the USHL? Sure, but if his is what his heart is telling him to do, he is making the right choice. If NHL teams don't want to draft him, too bad, he'll just make them pay as a free agent down the road after he tears it up at UW.

mnstate0fhockey
04-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Looks like another Mr. Hockey from MN will be a Badger when Besse wins it next season. He has to be the front runner from everything I've seen.

I think it is great that he is doing what he wants to w/ his life. I find it funny (sometimes laughing at myself in hindsight) that everyone has the answer on how some young man should live their life. Would he play against better competition next year in the USHL? Sure, but if his is what his heart is telling him to do, he is making the right choice. If NHL teams don't want to draft him, too bad, he'll just make them pay as a free agent down the road after he tears it up at UW.

Still very early, but he would definitely be my front runner as well. These kids get a lot of community pressure to stay home and play. I guess it depends on the kid and the situation. Like Chuck pointed out, BSM will be playing an independent schedule for the first time next year, so they will definately have a Top 10 if not Top 5 schedule in terms of strength. And the leadership experience from captaining a team can be invaluable. Certainly didn't hurt Bjugstad or Rau to come back. That said, I can certainly understand the opposing viewpoint as well.

Almington
04-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Still very early, but he would definitely be my front runner as well. These kids get a lot of community pressure to stay home and play. I guess it depends on the kid and the situation. Like Chuck pointed out, BSM will be playing an independent schedule for the first time next year, so they will definately have a Top 10 if not Top 5 schedule in terms of strength. And the leadership experience from captaining a team can be invaluable. Certainly didn't hurt Bjugstad or Rau to come back. That said, I can certainly understand the opposing viewpoint as well.

The conventional wisdom is that players benefit more from the rigors of playing in the USHL with the longer schedule and harder competition away from home over playing in HS. I think that is true to a generalized point, It's also clear that the top end of the MN HS hockey is more than able to prepare players to step into college and be successful as freshmen (and MN may be the only state where this applies).

mnstate0fhockey
04-12-2012, 12:56 PM
The conventional wisdom is that players benefit more from the rigors of playing in the USHL with the longer schedule and harder competition away from home over playing in HS. I think that is true to a generalized point, It's also clear that the top end of the MN HS hockey is more than able to prepare players to step into college and be successful as freshmen (and MN may be the only state where this applies).

I won't disagree with any of that.

Timothy A
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Not really, guess it depends on your definition of walk-on. I tend to think of a walk on as a who has to tryout to make the team, which is far from the case in this scenario as Peterson was recruited. It just seems from assessing the situation on when he committed (late), his background (not highly touted), etc (in-state kid) that if he's on scholarship...I'd guess it's not a big one.

I always assumed that if a guy was "recruited", he wouldn't come for absolutely nothing. I suppose if he had no one else interested in him, why not come to UW and take advantage of in-state tuition levels.