PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

markwojo
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Zengerlee is almost sure to go after next season. It wouldn't surprise me if a D were to put up some numbers after next season and get some interest also.

I'd like to see a class of 4F, 2D, and 1G for 2013, so Eaves and Co have some work to do.

Grant Besse should be an option. I assume he could be an option academically as he will be a high school senior this fall.

Chuck Schwartz
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Grant Besse should be an option. I assume he could be an option academically as he will be a high school senior this fall.

I'm told that Eaves is considering bumping him to a 2013. Might depend on where he decides to play hockey next season.

Chuck Schwartz
03-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Interview with new 2015 recruit Seamus Malone if anyone is interested. Talks about why he chose Wisconsin.

LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/3/26/2903938/new-hockey-recruit-seamus-malone-talks-badger-commitment)

"I pride myself in being a 2-way player. I play both ends of the ice. I can be a play-maker and a goal scorer. I'm a hard working leader, and a good teammate."--Seamus Malone

Chuck Schwartz
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Man, not one comment on the new recruit? I know he's only a 2015 recruit but for a fan base full of experts on what kind of kids we should be recruiting (I kid, I kid :D), I thought he might generate a little chatter.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Kind of hard to be excited about anything right now.

Plus, while it's always exciting to see a new recruit pop up, it's even more exciting when you can start seeing them produce for the NTDP or when they become point-a-game types in juniors.

JDUBBS1280
03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Kind of hard to be excited about anything right now.

Plus, while it's always exciting to see a new recruit pop up, it's even more exciting when you can start seeing them produce for the NTDP or when they become point-a-game types in juniors.

How about when they become a <a href="http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=5235395&seasonid=7849">point-plus a game player</a> in juniors as a 16 year old?

Timothy A
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Man, not one comment on the new recruit? I know he's only a 2015 recruit but for a fan base full of experts on what kind of kids we should be recruiting (I kid, I kid :D), I thought he might generate a little chatter.

Seamus was highly praised by Gino Cavallini in Baggot's article today, that's a high quality endorsement right there. He's one possible stud. On the flip side, it's hard to get too excited about such a young recruit, after all McGuire was also 15 when he signed up as a high end guy and he isn't lighting the ejhl up, unless 9G/15A in 40 games IS lighting up the ejhl.....

Baggot also said UW is known to have strong interest in at least three other Mission players: winger Christian Dvorak and defensemen Robert Nardella and Pete Tischke. Any info Chuck on these guys?

Chuck Schwartz
03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Baggot also said UW is known to have strong interest in at least three other Mission players: winger Christian Dvorak and defensemen Robert Nardella and Pete Tischke. Any info Chuck on these guys?

Dvorak is an absolute stud and leading scorer on that Mission team (by quite a bit I think). Nardella is the son of a former pro player. His dad played for Ferris State and spent a lot of time playing pro overseas and also with the Chicago Wolves and Rockford Ice Hogs. Pete Tischke is a defenseman that is allegedly pretty solid. He's another kid who was invited to NTDP camp last week (which is obviously never a bad thing).

Surprised with all the connections Wisconsin has had with the Mission that they aren't on Adam Baughman, he's supposed to be another stud d-man with that club.

Don't be shocked if Wisconsin pursues Ryan Mantha, a defenseman from the Belle Tire program in Michigan. It may be hard to pry him out of state but his father (HC of the Michigan Warriors) in the NAHL is allegedly good buddies with Eaves.

PS, if anyone is interested I updated the scholarship grid with new additions/subtractions over the past couple of weeks. Might be able to shed some insight on the future.

LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011/11/1/2528675/wisconsin-hockey-scholarship-grid)

wjefwhite
03-27-2012, 02:20 PM

I am guarded with my hope for this kid coming as an oral .This shows me Eaves and his coaches are getting top quality recruits. If we keep chipping away we will be back in line for the post season soon and will continue to be. Chuck thanks for reaching out to the kid. I hope Besse and this young man are here at the same time. :)

Hammy
03-27-2012, 02:57 PM
How about when they become a <a href="http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=5235395&seasonid=7849">point-plus a game player</a> in juniors as a 16 year old?

C'mon man... is this necessary?

Gandalf the Red
03-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Interview with new 2015 recruit Seamus Malone if anyone is interested. Talks about why he chose Wisconsin.

LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/3/26/2903938/new-hockey-recruit-seamus-malone-talks-badger-commitment)

"I pride myself in being a 2-way player. I play both ends of the ice. I can be a play-maker and a goal scorer. I'm a hard working leader, and a good teammate."--Seamus Malone

I like that he is a solid two way player. The Badgers need more guys like this. When I think of the 2006 and 2010 teams they had a lot of talented two way players, w/ few one way offense (Robbie Earl or Michael Davies) and few one way defensive (Ben Grotting comes to mind) guys. More Derek Stepan's, more Blake Geoffrion's, more Joe Pavelski's, maybe not in size, but in the quality and the effort they bring each night. The PK needs help (never thought I would type that).

Eaves has made some solid pick ups this last year, nice high end guys. I actually like that they aren't filling the cupboard with tons of players, because they can always find a solid 4 year player late, but kids like Malone, Beese, Kerdiles (I know he verballed several years ago) are critical. I personally think Oz had a lot to do w/ the over recruiting, as somewhat of an overreaction to the early departures and Eaves went along with it. Just a theory based on the evidence in front of me, because there has sure been a change in the last few years and at Ohio State Oz is filling his cupboard.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
C'mon man... is this necessary?In more ways than one. We've all got him on ignore by now, so anything he says is falling on deaf ears to begin with.

mnstate0fhockey
03-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Can we perma-ban this guy already?

solovsfett
03-27-2012, 06:52 PM

sounds like he could be a great pick-up but as was said earlier, Corbin Mcguire was also highly regarded @ 15. that and we'll know a lot more in two years when Malone has had his first year at the NTDP in or some more experience to gauge from

Chuck Schwartz
03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
sounds like he could be a great pick-up but as was said earlier, Corbin Mcguire was also highly regarded @ 15. that and we'll know a lot more in two years when Malone has had his first year at the NTDP in or some more experience to gauge from

Not much to go on but here is an ISO game (http://reelhockeyscouting.com/category/malone-seamus-96/) if you want to watch him. Looks pretty talented for a high school freshman, and that's a pretty high caliber league.

Corbin McGuire is an interesting situation. He left for the USHL his junior year of high school and hasn't been the same since he suffered that concussion in Fargo. I'm guessing next year in the EJHL where he will be relied upon to be 'the man' will be good for him. He'll have plenty of opportunities to put up points and get his 'swagger' back.

solovsfett
03-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Not much to go on but here is an ISO game (http://reelhockeyscouting.com/category/malone-seamus-96/) if you want to watch him. Looks pretty talented for a high school freshman, and that's a pretty high caliber league.

Corbin McGuire is an interesting situation. He left for the USHL his junior year of high school and hasn't been the same since he suffered that concussion in Fargo. I'm guessing next year in the EJHL where he will be relied upon to be 'the man' will be good for him. He'll have plenty of opportunities to put up points and get his 'swagger' back.

excellent pass on the first goal, and for a frosh looks remarkable defensively responsible. dangerous play trying to keep the puck in at the point on the pp but clearly a good stick-handler. wow. thanks for the link!

re: Mcguire, that's too bad to hear re: the concussion and his play since. we'll see what another year in jrs can do for him I guess.

Chuck Schwartz
04-07-2012, 05:36 PM
2014 defense recruit Jake Linhart was drafted today in the OHL Priority Selection by Plymouth in the 9th round. 2015 forward recruit Seamus Malone was also take by Plymouth in the 14th round.

Neither are considered serious flight risks.

Chuck Schwartz
04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I'll start checking around on this, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if the coaching staff was evaluating goaltending options for the 2013 recruiting class.

ecjd
04-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Why would we need another goalie? Is someone leaving?

Timothy A
04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I'll start checking around on this, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if the coaching staff was evaluating goaltending options for the 2013 recruiting class.

That seems pretty crazy with Grunwald scheduled to come in 2013 to add another goalie. Bringing in 2 goalies in 2013 would mean they'd have scholarship 4 goalies on the roster in 2013/2014, which is unheard of. Even if Eaves is worried Rumpel might leave after next year, Petersen is very capable and Grunwald would have 2 years to learn the ropes. I'm reading into this that Grunwald is not coming for one reason or another.