X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    thanks. I forgot they were maybe bringing him in for 2013
    I mean nothing has been said about it publicly, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we don't lose a single forward and are set to bring in Zulinick, Kerdiles, and McGuire. There's zero chance we start next year with 18 forwards.

Comment

what's up w/Corbin Mcguire not signing?
      I think there is a possibility that McGuire never ends up in Madison...a mutual parting, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        I mean nothing has been said about it publicly, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we don't lose a single forward and are set to bring in Zulinick, Kerdiles, and McGuire. There's zero chance we start next year with 18 forwards.
        At least to graduation, given the numbers I wouldn't be surprised by a non-graduation departure. No one enjoys riding the pine.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
          At least to graduation, given the numbers I wouldn't be surprised by a non-graduation departure. No one enjoys riding the pine.
          Yeah, I was trying to allude to that a little without saying it. These things tend to work themselves out.

Comment

I like the idea on paper but until Wisconsin high schools can prove they can play at the elite level of the Minnesota HS or Mass prep schools of the world I'd just as soon have UW recruit canada more. the level of competition for Wisconsin HS is pretty low w/the exception being Hudson, Superior, Eagle River, Wausau, pretty much the far northern and northeastern schools. that won't change unless somehow (and I don't know how it would transpire) the southeastern part of the state begins to support hockey in any real way.

for Wisconsin to be like Minnesota they need places like Brookfield to produce 2 teams (central and east) for hockey not a combined team. they need all of the schools in that conference to have high end coaches but deeper than that they need more youth programs.

get these kids in the suburbs to forget about effing soccer already and play hockey
            Lobby Superior to go D1, I think that would really spur on some HS Hockey programs in Northern WI... maybe? Thoughts? I honestly think WI is on the bubble, for decades its been MN, MA and MI producing alot of US talent, I think WI could easily be in that same category with more in state recruiting..

Comment

• Originally posted by mariucci View Post
              Lobby Superior to go D1, I think that would really spur on some HS Hockey programs in Northern WI... maybe? Thoughts? I honestly think WI is on the bubble, for decades its been MN, MA and MI producing alot of US talent, I think WI could easily be in that same category with more in state recruiting..
              The talent pool has gotten much better in the last decade and a half, but I don't think that local talent supply (you're really stuck on that as a thing that matters, aren't you?) is really going to be the holdup preventing one of DIII schools playing up.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Recruiting Update: McGuire officially a 2013 recruit

I interviewed McGuire today, he told me he's officially a 2013 recruit now which we had expected. Here are his full quotes, some of which didn't make the article.

On becoming a 2013 recruit:
                Coach Eaves called me Sunday and told me that he had talked to all the coaches and my coaches in junior and they all thought another year in juniors would be very beneficial to my development. Coach Eaves made it clear that I would keep all of my scholarship and that the decision was strictly a numbers thing and not based on if I was ready to play college hockey next year or not. He said another year of juniors will give me the chance to become even more of an impact player my freshman year.
                And his trade from Springfield to Jersey:
                Also the trade to New Jersey was one that was always an option. When I was in Fargo and Fargo was looking for a place to loan me, New Jersey was a team that had called a lot. And then over the past summer and early this season they still were pushing me to come play there and were pushing the Springfield staff to make a trade. So they had wanted me in their program for a long time and deal was finally made. The situation in New Jersey with the Hitmen is far better then with Pics. I'm playing with kids that are committed to D1 Hockey East schools and are making me a lot better. Overall its a better team, better program, and a better situation.
                Defenseman Tim Davison, who is either a 2012 or 2013 recruit told me today that he's unsure of when he will become a Badger.
                As of now it is still up in the air.
                Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 11-08-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

BTW...a few Wisconsin kids have made college commitments recently...CJ Eick (Appleton) to Michigan Tech, Luke Jenkins (River Falls) to Army, and I can't remember if I mentioned Ryan Belonger (Green Bay) to Northeastern.

Belonger was the only one who drew real UW interest, although he was never offered a scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    The talent pool has gotten much better in the last decade and a half, but I don't think that local talent supply (you're really stuck on that as a thing that matters, aren't you?) is really going to be the holdup preventing one of DIII schools playing up.
                    I just think it would be great for the sport, and I dont think theres a whole lot of difference between MN and WI as far as the way of life, climate, many ponds etc and great for WI hockey in general.. Call it a hunch but I think WI hockey would go thru the roof in a very short time..

I really dont know alot about Superiors program or interest in a D1 program but if Bemidji, Mankato and St Cloud could do it I think Superior could and possibly do very well in the transition? As you know the area is very nice and Northern WI (as I understand it) has plenty of hockey talent and fan interest.. Just an idea, thats all (I use to live in Milwaukee btw and loved it, so I have no issues with WI, if thats how my posts come off sounding).

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                      I just think it would be great for the sport, and I dont think theres a whole lot of difference between MN and WI as far as the way of life, climate, many ponds etc and great for WI hockey in general.. Call it a hunch but I think WI hockey would go thru the roof in a very short time..

I really dont know alot about Superiors program or interest in a D1 program but if Bemidji, Mankato and St Cloud could do it I think Superior could and possibly do very well in the transition? As you know the area is very nice and Northern WI (as I understand it) has plenty of hockey talent and fan interest.. Just an idea, thats all (I use to live in Milwaukee btw and loved it, so I have no issues with WI, if thats how my posts come off sounding).
                      You can't bring a D-3 program to D-1 just for 1 sport. Superior going D-1 is not happening.

Comment

I'm often a pessimist, so I have a hard time believing that it will ever be anything besides one of those weird subtle differences between MN and WI. (For similar full disclosure: I grew up in Richfield, MN back when Darby Hendrickson was living the "Pride on Ice" dream to its fullest... in my eyes it's always been the hockey thing, the Packers and the ratio of Germans to Scandinavians that made up the bulk of the differences between the two states)

In all honesty, there could maybe be enough support for several of the Wisconsin DIII schools to have some sort of decent program (not to pick on the Mavs, but it would probably be more on par with what they have). I haven't looked at any attendance figures to back up that point, but I've a hunch that there's enough of something up there to support something. I'm sure that St. Norbert's considered it on more than one occasion.

But at this stage, with the NCAA limitations on playing up from DIII to DI being what they are, I'm not even sure that its formally possible to actually do so. Despite my bitter nature, that's actually more what I have in mind when I say that the local talent supply isn't the hold up.
                        Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 11-08-2011, 11:52 PM.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

I'm often a pessimist, so I have a hard time believing that it will ever be anything besides one of those weird subtle differences between MN and WI. (For similar full disclosure: I grew up in Richfield, MN back when Darby Hendrickson was living the "Pride on Ice" dream to its fullest... in my eyes it's always been the hockey thing, the Packers and the ratio of Germans to Scandinavians that made up the bulk of the differences between the two states)

In all honesty, there could maybe be enough support for several of the Wisconsin DIII schools to have some sort of decent program (not to pick on the Mavs, but it would probably be more on par with what they have). I haven't looked at any attendance figures to back up that point, but I've a hunch that there's enough of something up there to support something. I'm sure that St. Norbert's considered it on more than one occasion.

But at this stage, with the NCAA limitations on playing up from DIII to DI being what they are, I'm not even sure that its formally possible to actually do so. Despite my bitter nature, that's actually more what I have in mind when I say that the local talent supply isn't the hold up.
                          Yeah Chuck was just saying that and by doing so saved me having to ask the next question wether its even possible or not... Well some how some way I hope to see it happen in the future...

~cheers to a good series this weekend..

Side note: A couple friends of mine today (1 who has a small inside track with FSN) has mentioned theres some murmurs going around that the Penn St fiasco is likely to throw a wrench into the Big 10 plans.. Not sure how credible it is, but interesting enough to hear some educated opinions on the matter.

Comment

Side note: A couple friends of mine today (1 who has a small inside track with FSN) has mentioned theres some murmurs going around that the Penn St fiasco is likely to throw a wrench into the Big 10 plans.. Not sure how credible it is, but interesting enough to hear some educated opinions on the matter.
                            Off topic, but... yeah, that whole situation is so massively ****ed up that I can't even begin to imagine the fallout.

At first glance, the only way it messes with the BTHC is if PSU gets the boot from the Big Ten... which I have a hard time believing.

Comment

Off topic, but... yeah, that whole situation is so massively ****ed up that I can't even begin to imagine the fallout.

At first glance, the only way it messes with the BTHC is if PSU gets the boot from the Big Ten... which I have a hard time believing.
                              Depends on what happens with Pegula's donation to the University and if he still wants to be associated in such a visible way with PSU in general and the athletic department specifically.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                Depends on what happens with Pegula's donation to the University and if he still wants to be associated in such a visible way with PSU in general and the athletic department specifically.
                                He's still a period alum. No way he pulls that donation and hurts his alma mater.

Edit: Whoops, that was supposed to say "proud" alum. Dang phone auto correct.
                                Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X