X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by nopuckluck View Post
    Current players like Barmes and Ramage are why they need to focus on Tier 1 players.
    John Ramage played in the NAHL. Clint Barmes plays baseball. Not the two greatest examples ever.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
      John Ramage played in the NAHL. Clint Barmes plays baseball. Not the two greatest examples ever.
      John Ramage did play for the USNTDP his senior year in high school. While they played in the NAHL then, I certainly don't think anyone considers them Tier II.

How many players haven't turned out for the gophers in the past few years? Jake Youso (I think that is how it is spelled) comes to mind. Recruited early, turned out he never developed and tDon kept pushing him back and then sent him packing. Max Gardiner was suppose to be a stud too. Not to mention most of the defensemen John Hill brought in who all sucked on the back end, well in all ends really, for the last several seasons.

It happens to even the "best" programs, not every 16 year old blue chipper is going to be a 19 year old blue chipper.
      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
      Originally posted by UWisco
      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
        John Ramage did play for the USNTDP his senior year in high school. While they played in the NAHL then, I certainly don't think anyone considers them Tier II.

How many players haven't turned out for the gophers in the past few years? Jake Youso (I think that is how it is spelled) comes to mind. Recruited early, turned out he never developed and tDon kept pushing him back and then sent him packing. Max Gardiner was suppose to be a stud too. Not to mention most of the defensemen John Hill brought in who all sucked on the back end, well in all ends really, for the last several seasons.

It happens to even the "best" programs, not every 16 year old blue chipper is going to be a 19 year old blue chipper.
        is that guy even a Gopher fan? If he is, he isn't very knowledgable. As a Gopher fan, I don't see how we have any room to talk about players not panning out. To your list, you can add Pat White, Kevin Weirs, Cade Fairchild, and to some extent Aaron Ness.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          Second of all, the Badgers are developing a rap in the TC that they are average recruiters? If Eaves and company are such terrible recruiters, it's amazing they've landed Morgan Zulinick, Nic Kerdiles, Kyle Turris, Ryan McDonagh, Jamie McBain, Derek Stepan, Blake Geoffrion, Brendan Smith, Cody Goloubef, Jake Gardiner, Joe Pavelski, Justin Schultz, John Ramage, Michael Mersch, Mark Zengerle, Tyler Barnes, Joseph LaBate, Jake McCabe etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

If that's developing a bad rap, then I'd like to speak with the people doing the rapping.
          How many of those players you mention had anything to do with UW's current assistants during their recruitment?

People can talk about players recruited under a head coach but the reality is a lot of the work is done by the assistant coaches. Those guys matter more than people often understand. Assistants won't necessarily be the main reason a kid does (or does not) select a school but you'd be kidding yourself if they don't play a healthy sized role. It certainly didn't help the Gophers cause with Hill. If they didn't have such a big advantage recruiting in MN, Hill's presence would have been more damaging than it was.
          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
            How many of those players you mention had anything to do with UW's current assistants during their recruitment?

People can talk about players recruited under a head coach but the reality is a lot of the work is done by the assistant coaches. Those guys matter more than people often understand. Assistants won't necessarily be the main reason a kid does (or does not) select a school but you'd be kidding yourself if they don't play a healthy sized role. It certainly didn't help the Gophers cause with Hill. If they didn't have such a big advantage recruiting in MN, Hill's presence would have been more damaging than it was.
            UW has had about 4-5 assistant coaches since Coach Eaves took over, most of whom have moved on to head coaching jobs on their own, there really hasn't been a drop off in recruiting that I can see.

if you want to pin recruits on Shuchuk and Butters you can say Joseph Labate, Tim Davison, Linhart, I believe Kerdiles and Zulinick as well? Jason Clark?
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Wisconsin's current assistant coaches have only been in place for a little over a season so obviously the majority of the players listed were not recruited by the current assistants.

Given the fact that there is only one senior on the roster and a hand full of juniors, the next two classes have for the most part already been filled up.

The current assistants have brought in guys like Brad Navin and Joseph LaBate, Landon Peterson, Tim Davison, Jake Linhart, and Kevin Schulze who is off to a really nice start in the USHL.

The bad rap comment is laughable.

Comment

Wisconsin's current assistant coaches have only been in place for a little over a season so obviously the majority of the players listed were not recruited by the current assistants.
                That's the point.

I'm not a big believer in Butters these days. As a Gopher fan, I feel the way about him that you guys probably felt about John Hill on the Gophers (meaning you feel somebody else would do better job in that role so you wanted things to stay status quo). I don't know if that is what the one poster was getting at with his comments about "bad rap" though. He'd have to answer that for himself.
                University of Minnesota

Comment

That's the point.

I'm not a big believer in Butters these days. As a Gopher fan, I feel the way about him that you guys probably felt about John Hill on the Gophers (meaning you feel somebody else would do better job in that role so you wanted things to stay status quo). I don't know if that is what the one poster was getting at with his comments about "bad rap" though. He'd have to answer that for himself.
                  Why would you be a believer in Butters these days? he's a badger!

also, didn't he bring in guys like Crowley and Trebil? they seemed to do pretty ok

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    Why would you be a believer in Butters these days? he's a badger!

also, didn't he bring in guys like Crowley and Trebil? they seemed to do pretty ok
                    Its a long way from 15 to 20 years ago. Hence, the words "these days". You think he was in high demand before this gig popped up? C'mon man...

I believed in Osiecki as a high quality assistant. Didn't matter if he was a Badger or not.
                    University of Minnesota

Comment

That's the point.

I'm not too worried about Butters at this point. He's proven through results on the ice that he's a solid coach, it's entirely too early to judge him as a recruiter. We'll see. Comparing him to John Hill is a joke IMO.

Comment

I'm not too worried about Butters at this point. He's proven through results on the ice that he's a solid coach, it's entirely too early to judge him as a recruiter. We'll see. Comparing him to John Hill is a joke IMO.
                        I wasn't really comparing him to Hill in a coaching sense. Just using Hill as an example because it really didn't help the Gophers cause to have Hill in the program and fans of other teams wanted him to stay for that very reason. I feel the same way on Butters.
                        University of Minnesota

Comment

I wasn't really comparing him to Hill in a coaching sense. Just using Hill as an example because it really didn't help the Gophers cause to have Hill in the program and fans of other teams wanted him to stay for that very reason. I feel the same way on Butters.
                          Comparing Hill to Butters? Laughable.

Comment

this doesn't make sense at all. Butters hasn't been at Wisconsin long enough to judge the recruiting part although I'd say Linhart and Shulze are an excellent start for d-men. as for coaching, the D seemed to do well last year and are getting better this year.

but in the end really it's Coach Eaves. he's like Bo Ryan, he can take two people from the stands and make them good assistants or take average players (drewiske, woz) and somehow get them prepared and disciplined enough to make the SHOW.

people freaked a bit when Ward and Hynes left, no big deal. Patrick and Oseicki came in. People freaked when they also left for head coaching jobs. no big deal. they're replaced by Shuchuk and Butters.

In Eaves we trust really. that's something I'm re-learning this year as I've seen the team grow in the last 2 weeks into a team I feel will be performing at a top-5 WCHA level by or just after x-mas.

as for MN, the impact Hill had at UMN seemed to be immediate and well obviously pretty negative

Comment

Comparing Hill to Butters? Laughable.
                              Apparently no more laughable than your reading comprehension.

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              this doesn't make sense at all. Butters hasn't been at Wisconsin long enough to judge the recruiting part
                              I'd be more than happy to give him a long, long time to prove himself.
                              Last edited by Hammy; 11-03-2011, 09:42 AM.
                              University of Minnesota

Comment

Apparently no more laughable than your reading comprehension.

I'd be more than happy to give him a long, long time to prove himself.
                                Funny commentary from a guy who at the time was ecstatic that John Hill was leaving Alaska to be the asst. coach for the gophers. How'd that work out for you? And you expect people to take your opinion of a coach of a rival team seriously after that debacle....LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X